PDA

View Full Version : Liquified Propane Gas Discussion-Started Sept 2023

Slippy
09-23-2023, 08:24 AM
I wish I kept better records but I just had my LP gas provider fill up the tank at Slippy Lodge and a number of small tanks.

Paid $2.99/gallon

Same guy who installed my tank and services it annually in Aug or Sept every year, commented this was the least amount that we have consumed. Only 69 gallons consumed in 1 year.

Interesting. Or not?

What say you knuckleheads about Propane?

Prepared One
09-23-2023, 09:34 AM
I need more propane tanks on hand for the generators. Our house is not set up for gas but I am thinking a get a 250 gallon or maybe a 500 gallon tank put in just for the gen sets. Haven't looked into the cost yet.

T-Man 1066
09-23-2023, 10:14 AM
If you own the tank outright, then its just the cost of fill and delivery.

My propane company supplies a 500 gallon tank for free assuming I use "X" amount of propane per year. I forget how much but here on the Cheddar Curtain I go through about a tank and 1/2 per season, heating the machine shop.

Also, if you own your own tank than anybody can fill it. In my case I am stuck with the company providing the tank. Around here, this is the time to buy propane, as the prices go up during the harvest season. Farmers use it in their dryers. ALOT. IIRC my buddy has a dedicated truck come by every 3 days or so for a few weeks, yearly propane bill over 100K.

Slippy
09-23-2023, 10:35 AM

My propane company supplies a 500 gallon tank for free assuming I use "X" amount of propane per year. I forget how much but here on the Cheddar Curtain I go through about a tank and 1/2 per season, heating the machine shop.

Also, if you own your own tank than anybody can fill it. In my case I am stuck with the company providing the tank. Around here, this is the time to buy propane, as the prices go up during the harvest season. Farmers use it in their dryers. ALOT. IIRC my buddy has a dedicated truck come by every 3 days or so for a few weeks, yearly propane bill over 100K.

Good stuff, T-Man!

Shows the difference between the Deep South and the Cheddar Curtain winters.

Inor
09-23-2023, 10:55 AM
Like the T-Man says, owning the tank is the way to go.

We have a 250 gallon tank. I am careful to not let it get below 20% and usually get it filled in August. That lasts about a year, maybe a little more. I wish I had gone with a 500 gallon tank as that would have given me more flexibility to not buy when prices are high. But hindsight is always 20/20. I will eventually buy another 500 gallon tank to augment the 250 gallon. Then I should be in pretty good shape on propane.

Mad Trapper
09-23-2023, 01:15 PM
If you get a big tank get the fittings to refill smaller tanks.

BucketBack
09-23-2023, 03:42 PM
We've been renting out tank since 1978

Natural Gas is coming in before mid winter. Conversion time

Prepared One
09-24-2023, 08:32 AM

Good info. I will definitely buy my own tank and the fittings needed to fill smaller tanks. I am thinking if someone pulls the switch on the power I can extend the usefulness of the gens for a longer period of time. Of course, if it's long term we will run out but if we manage our power well I figure we could maybe go 3 or 4 years if need be.

T-Man 1066
09-24-2023, 09:57 AM
Guys, may want to take a look at this link:

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/176439/how-do-i-fill-my-grills-propane-tank-from-my-house-tank

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=995389&mid=8978981#M8978981

I don't know enough about propane but the fact that when I get my forklift tanks refilled at the propane joint, they pump the propane in under pressure, while releasing a screw valve for venting. Also see alot in regards to tapping the liquid from the bottom of the tank, not the vapor from the top.

Propane is pretty dangerous, especially in big amounts.

This link was a derailment of three propane cars IIRC, happened about 20 miles from me, about 2 miles from T-Woman's folks.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=995389&mid=8978981#M8978981

Not saying don't do it, but educate yourself and be safe...

Prepared One
09-24-2023, 10:13 AM

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/176439/how-do-i-fill-my-grills-propane-tank-from-my-house-tank

I don't know enough about propane but the fact that when I get my forklift tanks refilled at the propane joint, they pump the propane in under pressure, while releasing a screw valve for venting. Also see alot in regards to tapping the liquid from the bottom of the tank, not the vapor from the top.

This link was a derailment of three propane cars IIRC, happened about 20 miles from me, about 2 miles from T-Woman's folks.

Good info. Maybe refilling the smaller tanks is not a good idea. I will have more research to do.

Slippy
09-24-2023, 10:26 AM

Great subject T-Man!

Every so often I get the urge to fill my 1lb tanks DIY and research it and every so often I come to the conclusion that I don't want to die doing something like that! :thumb:

T-Man 1066
09-24-2023, 11:13 AM
I get it, I hate spending more when I think there is a cheaper way, but most of us will spend 40-100$ on a good bottle of hotwater or bourbon, steak dinner, buy another gun we probably don't need for $800+, another case or three of ammo, but want to get dangerous about saving 2-3 dollars on a 1# propane bottle refill.

I am also guilty as charged... so not casting stones from a glass house.

Slippy
09-24-2023, 11:34 AM
I get it, I hate spending more when I think there is a cheaper way, but most of us will spend 40-100$ on a good bottle of hotwater or bourbon, steak dinner, buy another gun we probably don't need for $800+, another case or three of ammo, but want to get dangerous about saving 2-3 dollars on a 1# propane bottle refill.

Yep!

On a sort-of-related note; Mrs Slippy will return from the grocery store and immediately inform me that she spent $XXX.XX dollars and then justify it by telling me that this item was Buy 1 Get 1 Free or 10% off or "On Sale" blah blah blah.

I'll act like I care then chuckle to myself about my last gun or truck purchase...I don't think Mrs S has any idea what shit costs that you can't buy from Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Amazon or Walmart...

Chiefster23
09-24-2023, 04:45 PM
Flame king sells refillable 1 pound propane bottles and the refill kit hardware. Safe and easy. Been doing it for a year or two now without issues.

SOCOM42
09-24-2023, 05:30 PM
When I first opened my shop, I installed a overhead propane heater.

The local propane company, 15 miles away brought in a 1,000 gallon tank.

Everything went well for the first four years, IIRC.

One day, I think it was in January, I called for a tank filling, more later.

According to the Mil. Std., Shop needed to be at 68 degrees and 50% humidity.

I was making gauges and gauge masters, really tight tolerances, down to .00005" or better.

This was before I started doing production work here, but it continued along with the gauge work.

Those gauges were for the MK-19 40MM grenade launcher, HBM-2 50 Cal. MG, M-61 Vulcan, Lightweight 50 Cal Mg.

They asked me to do production work for some of those components I made gauges for, that started it.

Back to propane order, the bitch that took my order told me that there was a propane shortage,

and that I should take the delivery the next day.

I said OK, deliver tomorrow, even though I did not need it for over a week.

When I got the bill, there was a $100.00 next day delivery charge added to it!!

I called, spoke to the manager, bitched about the fee, told him about the bitches' shortage and get it now comment.

He told me I was full of shit and there was no shortage of gas!!!!!!

I finished the heating season with what was dropped off.

I changed over to oil that summer.

I got a call asking about filling the tank as fall was approaching.

Told them I was no longer using the gas for heating.

They came to get the tank, I would not let them get it for two years, fuck them.

There was no contract allowing them access to my property,

I told the guys there that I would arrest their asses for trespassing if they did not leave.

My cooking is done with propane, using 100# self owned tanks, one genset runs on propane,

I have a total of 10 spare 20# tanks.

My secondary heat source is also propane with wall heaters and 100# tanks, have 6 spare 100 # tanks.

I take them all to get filled myself.

MountainGirl
09-24-2023, 05:31 PM
Flame king sells refillable 1 pound propane bottles and the refill kit hardware. Safe and easy. Been doing it for a year or two now without issues.

From what are you filling them? 5# tanks or ...?

Mad Trapper
09-24-2023, 06:07 PM
Good info. Maybe refilling the smaller tanks is not a good idea. I will have more research to do.

You can do small tanks easy (think heating/soldering ) I'm still on the learning curve. Will report back when I'm learned. Transfer adapters are ~$6

Sparkyprep
09-24-2023, 06:37 PM
My house doesn't have gas. I hate it. BUT, I have several gas grills, camp stoves, and a camping-style propane water heater. For emergencies, I keep a 100 lb. propane tank to run the back-up generator, plus I keep 4 30 lb. tanks for grills. I also have 10 of the Coleman disposable camping tanks for other things.

Broncosfan
09-24-2023, 06:54 PM
We have a 500 gallon tank. I had it filled about 2 weeks ago. I used 269 gallons since last fall. We have gas stove, hot water, dryer. It was $1.69 a gallon to fill. Last fall it was 2.39 I think. So I think we didn't do bad but it was a mild winter. I'm seriously considering buying a 1000 gallon tank. There're expensive but we could go 2 years without a fill if the generator wasn't ran. Plus owning the tank gives me the option to shop around.

Chiefster23
09-24-2023, 06:55 PM
From what are you filling them? 5# tanks or ...?

BBQ 25 pound tanks. The kit comes with a stand to hold the BBQ tank upside down while you fill the 1 pounder.

Inor
09-24-2023, 10:05 PM

I have an adapter for our house tank that allows me to fill the tanks for the turkey fryer, camp stove, etc. from it. It does save quite a bit of money if I do it. I figure one of the tanks that Walmart charges $18-$20 for the exchange actually costs me $3-$4 to fill myself.

That said, I still find myself paying the $18-$20 to Walmart just to avoid the hassle. I do not use much propane except for the house. (One 20# tank lasts me almost a year). And every time I fill them myself I usually end up getting my fingers burned from the cold propane closing the bleeder valve. That is my own damn fault! I always think I can see better than I actually can and can move faster than I actually do, so I do not put on a glove. Meh...

StratBastard
09-24-2023, 10:39 PM

I have about 100 of those pesky little 1# propane bottles stored LOL. I just grabbed a pair here and there over the years, and they kinda piled up. I plan to use them in the kitchen if needed to run my little Coleman two burner stove, or my little Camp Chef oven... then toss 'em. Long term I'll bring in the bigger tanks and hook up the 20#-to-1# adapter hose.

Prepared One
09-25-2023, 08:13 AM
I have 15 of the 20 pounders that are typically used on grills and 1 40 pounder plus 20 or so of those little baby 1 pounders. Maybe I get a couple of 100's. Easier to move around and keep in a outbuilding.

MountainGirl
09-25-2023, 08:50 AM
I have 15 of the 20 pounders that are typically used on grills and 1 40 pounder plus 20 or so of those little baby 1 pounders. Maybe I get a couple of 100's. Easier to move around and keep in a outbuilding.

Good idea, imo. Especially as we have the adapters to direct feed any of those ^^ into our Colemans.
That way, even if we lose the gens, we can still cook etc.

Mad Trapper
09-25-2023, 10:52 AM
Good idea, imo. Especially as we have the adapters to direct feed any of those ^^ into our Colemans.
That way, even if we lose the gens, we can still cook etc.

If I had the time/money, I'd put grandma's cookstove in the house. It's an old Glenwood, 1/2 gas 1/2 wood, I'd convert to propane and modern (no pilot) controls.

For you and PO it would most likely heat the house in TX.

It is just like this one. I used to fire it up first thing mornings put on coffee and make toast on the stovetop directly

MountainGirl
09-25-2023, 12:25 PM
I would LOVE that. We have the time and the money - but no place/space to put it in the house, or even close.
If it wasn't for the wood deck right off the kitchen door - I'd set it up outside. Oh well. :)

Sparkyprep
09-25-2023, 04:56 PM
If I had the time/money, I'd put grandma's cookstove in the house. It's an old Glenwood, 1/2 gas 1/2 wood, I'd convert to propane and modern (no pilot) controls.

For you and PO it would most likely heat the house in TX.

It is just like this one. I used to fire it up first thing mornings put on coffee and make toast on the stovetop directly

That is beautiful!!!!!!

MoreAmmoOK
09-25-2023, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=MountainGirl;262829]I would LOVE that. We have the time and the money - but no place/space to put it in the house, or even close.
If it wasn't for the wood deck right off the kitchen door - I'd set it up outside. Oh well. :)

If I was to guess I would say most of these were used over wood floors. I'd put something non-flammable under it on a wood deck and not worry a bit.

Mad Trapper
09-26-2023, 01:56 AM
[QUOTE=MountainGirl;262829]I would LOVE that. We have the time and the money - but no place/space to put it in the house, or even close.

If I was to guess I would say most of these were used over wood floors. I'd put something non-flammable under it on a wood deck and not worry a bit.

They were designed to sit directly on a floor without insulation. My grandmother had two of them at different houses. One was all wood, the other had 1/2 gas burners like in the picture. They would warm up the kitchen but not heat a house in New England.

I run a big boiler plate Warner stove to heat the house, takes 26" wood. Not as nice as the Glenwood for cooking but you can on the flat top. Wintertime I keep a 7-gallon stainless pot of water on it. Always have hot water for cooking or doing dishes. Cast iron fry pans or dutch ovens work well on it.

I installed it in an existing fireplace with complete insulated 316 stainless chimney liner from Rockford. If you need to install a woodstove Rockford will make up whatever you need, lifetime warranty.

To extend the hearth I put down fireboard under 2" granite from a local quarry, aluminum heat deflector for mantle, meets national fire code.

Stove will take whole house from 40 oF to 80 oF in an hour from a cold stove if I have kindling and dry wood. Fat Cat likes the woodrack, holds > 1 weeks worth of firewood

Power was out 3 days last winter, eggs coffee water.......

MountainGirl
09-26-2023, 07:03 AM
Outstanding, Trapper. All of it. :thumb: