PDA

View Full Version : Knives of the New Old School

hawgrider
03-03-2015, 05:46 AM
There is a new breed of knife maker out there that just ten years ago would never have existed. In the folding knife world there are two camps, usually spanned by a wide chasm. On one side are the traditional knife folks. If it doesn’t have stag on it, well then it’s just a toy. Nail knicks, high carbon steel, and classic patterns are all they want. And for good reason. Traditional knives with their thin blades and pocketable shapes are excellent everyday carry tools. - See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/03/02/knives-school/#sthash.Kg5aIhnA.dpuf

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/P1030618_1359-390x219.jpg

Arklatex
03-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm a fan of both styles. But I'm a knife junkie. I have a few Case knives and one of the real American made Schrade trappers. Another favorite of mine is the plain old victorinox swiss army knife.

Arklatex
03-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Ok I read the article. I have to say that I love the idea of traditional style knives made with the great modern materials. A trapper with G10 scales and s30v would be sweet! The only thing I take issue with regarding the traditional styles is that I have become spoiled by pocket clips.

hawgrider
03-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm a fan of both styles. But I'm a knife junkie. I have a few Case knives and one of the real American made Schrade trappers. Another favorite of mine is the plain old victorinox swiss army knife.Im a pocket knife guy the old ones grab my attention quickly. My wife found a dandy at a garbage sale a while back.
The old guy she got it from said he carried it everyday while growing up.

The knife is a Ulster USA long pull yellow peanut.

Looks very close to this-
http://www2.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2012/350543663846.jpg

Sparkyprep
03-03-2015, 03:37 PM
1217I am absolutely "new school". I don't really get the "nostalgia factor". If there is a new design, and it is functionally better, then that is what I want.

DerBiermeister
03-03-2015, 06:58 PM
I sure like the looks of this Pena

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1700/acc6f/products/2498/images/4362/EPenaGentsFolderTiDam__13946.1415348521.1040.745.j pg?c=2

I am also warming up to this knife - often shown being carried by Charlie Crews (Damian Lewis) in the tv show LIFE.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Police-Model-Plain-Stainless/dp/B000N4LC7I

His though has half the blade serrated. I prefer clean blade.

Infidel
03-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I've owned several traditional pocket knives over the years but I always go back to a larger folder. I'm hooked on assisted openers for the same reason I love automatics, when I need a knife I want to be able to open it one handed. I find that the traditional knives are just not heavy duty enough for my needs, I abuse my knives and probably always will I've broken several points off of blades and regularly use them as pry bars. I haven't found a traditional pocket knife yet that will take the abuse I throw at my knives. My Kershaw knives just keep coming back for more and when I do break one they stand behind it and fix or replace it in short order.

-Infidel

hawgrider
03-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Pocket knives are for cleaning finger nails, cutting oranges and apples, whittling.:cool:

DerBiermeister
03-03-2015, 10:52 PM
I've owned several traditional pocket knives over the years but I always go back to a larger folder. I'm hooked on assisted openers for the same reason I love automatics, when I need a knife I want to be able to open it one handed. I find that the traditional knives are just not heavy duty enough for my needs, I abuse my knives and probably always will I've broken several points off of blades and regularly use them as pry bars. I haven't found a traditional pocket knife yet that will take the abuse I throw at my knives. My Kershaw knives just keep coming back for more and when I do break one they stand behind it and fix or replace it in short order.

-Infidel

Assuming you still want it to be a pocket knife -- just larger

This is the one you want
http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-TWI20-CP-3-25-Inch/dp/B00020BOD0

Tough as you'll ever find
If you want it prettier, you can go with Rosewood handle

Inor
03-03-2015, 10:56 PM
I picked up this exact knife about 6-8 months ago as my everyday carry. I really like it. It is very thin and carries well. It also holds an edge excellently. The only negative is that the blade is so thin you have to be careful not to pry with it or use it as a screwdriver.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660-Onion-Folding-SpeedSafe/dp/B0009VC9Y0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1425444877&sr=1-1&keywords=kershaw+leek

Arklatex
03-04-2015, 11:32 AM
I picked up this exact knife about 6-8 months ago as my everyday carry. I really like it. It is very thin and carries well. It also holds an edge excellently. The only negative is that the blade is so thin you have to be careful not to pry with it or use it as a screwdriver.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660-Onion-Folding-SpeedSafe/dp/B0009VC9Y0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1425444877&sr=1-1&keywords=kershaw+leek
I have that knife also. I carried it for a year before moving on. It is a great value for an American made knife. I love the finish on it too. I ended up hating the wharncliff blade shape though. The tip is too easy to damage for an edc utility blade IMO. I had to reshape it several times. And I never use a knife as a pry bar or screwdriver. I think it got bent trying to open a few of those evil thick plastic packaging shells... I still carry it now and then but mostly I carry either a spyderco paramilitary 2 or a case stockman with the bone scales.

Infidel
03-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Assuming you still want it to be a pocket knife -- just larger

This is the one you want
http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-TWI20-CP-3-25-Inch/dp/B00020BOD0

Tough as you'll ever find
If you want it prettier, you can go with Rosewood handle

I had a SOG Flash II and loved it rode nice and deep in the pocket and held an edge pretty well. Unfortunately I lost it while on vacation (I lose something every year for some reason) and have been looking for a replacement ever since. Decided I wanted something different and have been looking around but haven't found one that caught my eye just yet. I like the look of that twitch I'll have to see if I can find one locally so I can get a better look at it. Until I find the right one I'll just tote around my Kershaw Blur.

-Infidel

DerBiermeister
03-04-2015, 09:56 PM
I had a SOG Flash II and loved it rode nice and deep in the pocket and held an edge pretty well. Unfortunately I lost it while on vacation (I lose something every year for some reason) and have been looking for a replacement ever since. Decided I wanted something different and have been looking around but haven't found one that caught my eye just yet. I like the look of that twitch I'll have to see if I can find one locally so I can get a better look at it. Until I find the right one I'll just tote around my Kershaw Blur.

-Infidel

Check the dimensions carefully. As you seemed to be looking for a larger folder, I think you will want the Twitch XL, instead of the II. Mine has the rosewood handle, and is the nicest looking and feeling knife I've ever owned. You won't have to baby it ....... just don't go tossing it across the street and it'll hold up fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4lTyNQDqpsw

DerBiermeister
03-04-2015, 10:04 PM
And here is a good functional video on the blade. This particular XL is the graphite aluminum handle with a tanto point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZYjNlyfyZfU

Infidel
03-06-2015, 09:21 PM
The pocket clip on the twitch is almost identical to the flash and should allow it to ride nice and deep in the pocket. That's a feature of the flash that I really liked, the knife didn't stick out above the pocket when clipped. I would like to see more knife companies pursue that type of clip, the knife is still handy but not in the way when reaching into your pocket. I like the look of it for sure, have to see how it feels in the hand.

-Infidel

TJC44
03-07-2015, 04:28 PM
I picked up a Gerber folder not long ago that has the clip near the end so it's easy to access. No complaints here.

TJC

DerBiermeister
03-07-2015, 06:27 PM
The pocket clip on the twitch is almost identical to the flash and should allow it to ride nice and deep in the pocket. That's a feature of the flash that I really liked, the knife didn't stick out above the pocket when clipped. I would like to see more knife companies pursue that type of clip, the knife is still handy but not in the way when reaching into your pocket. I like the look of it for sure, have to see how it feels in the hand.

-Infidel

I've never seen clips like the ones on the SOGs. Damn good engineering, the way they protrude up and out from the center scale.

The XL clips real nice to the pocket and feels "right", if you know what I mean, I guess because of the weight. I never clip my smaller Twitch II, it just feels better at the bottom of my pocket.

rice paddy daddy
04-03-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm Old School with knives, just as with firearms. American made Schrades, Case, Buck, Imperial, etc in the traditional styles.
I even have my Official Boy Scout knife from my youth, that soldiered with me all the way to Vietnam and back. I like to stop at yard sales and look for old carbon steel pocket knives and kitchen knives. I once found a WWII Ka Bar USMC fighting knife complete with a USN Mk2 scabbard for $35.
I do, however, carry cheap Chinese made stainless steel pocket knives at work, if I screw up one of those I'm only out less than 10 bucks, rather than an irreplaceable American Schrade that is not even made anymore.

I must admit, though, there is one import brand that is excellent - Kissing Crane. I have several of their pocket knives, and two of their fixed blade hunters are in my rotation to wear on my belt (I ALWAYS wear a fixed blade when not at work). Belt knives do not attract attention where we live.

Txwheels
04-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Have to admit I'm lacking a little in the cutlery department. And I forgot to put the one in my pocket in the photo.

James m
04-03-2015, 01:10 PM

This is my favorite. Very sharp. It lives in the truck on a long cloth keyring for easy access.
I'm also a fan of the keychain multi tools, right there anytime.
I also like the older types. I have a copy of the old WWII knife. The one where USMC or other branches are etched in metal.

Arklatex
04-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Have to admit I'm lacking a little in the cutlery department. And I forgot to put the one in my pocket in the photo.
Nice collection! Is that a real Katana or just a wall hanger?

Txwheels
04-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Nice collection! Is that a real Katana or just a wall hanger?

It's a real Musha Katana. I've trained with both it and the Wakazashi

Arklatex
04-03-2015, 04:18 PM
It's a real Musha Katana. I've trained with both it and the Wakazashi
You sir, are a badass! I love swords, but do not own any real ones. Only a couple wall hangers that have been in storage since my last move.

A buddy from high school was into Kendo. He had those flexible bamboo swords and would try to teach us some basics after school. But it was really more like us getting our butt kicked by a guy with a stick!

Txwheels
04-03-2015, 06:57 PM
You sir, are a badass! I love swords, but do not own any real ones. Only a couple wall hangers that have been in storage since my last move.

A buddy from high school was into Kendo. He had those flexible bamboo swords and would try to teach us some basics after school. But it was really more like us getting our butt kicked by a guy with a stick!

my 2 disciplines are Kendo and Aikido and I practice with my Shinai/Bambo. It helps keep me limber at 67 years young. LOL

Infidel
04-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Just picked up a NIB SOG Flash off ebay for $8.60. It's a tanto point blade which wouldn't have been my first choice but at that price how could I say no? The whole thing with shipping cost me $12.35. Hopefully this will quiet the itch for a new blade for a while. Still looking to check out that twitch XL in person some where, must be a popular knife no one around here seems to have one.

-Infidel

DerBiermeister
04-05-2015, 08:17 AM
Still looking to check out that twitch XL in person some where, must be a popular knife no one around here seems to have one.

-Infidel

I never found one (Rosewood Twitch XL) to kick the tires. I just knew I had to have the Rosewood handle, so I went ahead and ordered it. Greatly surpassed my expectations. I talked my brother into buying one, and also bought them for my son and son-in-law for Christmas.

Infidel
04-05-2015, 04:24 PM
There's a place about an hour from me that has a pretty good knife selection and they keep a demo of each model in a display case so you can handle whichever you want. If I get down that way I'm stopping in to see if they have one. Of if one comes up on ebay at the right moment I may have to just bite the bullet and snatch it up.

-Infidel

Reptilicus
04-06-2015, 09:00 PM
A couple from my collection!! Buck Akonua (top), Buck Kalinga (bottom), both pre date code, meaning they were made before 1986, both with fine Black linen micarta scales. Both pristine factory new condition1369, although the brass shows some patina.