PDA

View Full Version : Need New Hot Water Tank, Moving Food And Taking Stock

BucketBack
12-16-2023, 06:57 AM
Getting Natural Gas next week, so it's time for a new tank, especially since the current one is making crackling noises.Anyway's I have to move a couple doored pantry things to gain access to even vac it out to buy a little more time

I found a dozen containers of Salt, 6 Olive Oils, a 2 1/2 gallon bucket's worth of Northern beans, 10 qt veggie oil, 10 baking soda, 10 corn starch, 20 # rice. 10 can salmon, and 20 SPAM.

This was a nice "Find" to add to our pantry, plus a lot of extra's are going to Benny's House on Tuesday

BucketBack
12-16-2023, 07:27 AM
I have a pressboard version of this https://www.gpwih.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/solid-wood-wardrobes-closets-in-newest-solid-wood-armoire-wardrobe-cheap-wardrobes-doors-you-must-see.jpg

in the pole barn that I will move the pasta, rice , beans, salt, and the 5 bags of flour I just found

The twin bed in the spare room is full of food, underneath is full of food, the closet is full of clothes.

I'm missing a case of Menu A MRE's somewhere, I know it won't fit under the beds anyway........

eta Most is going in the frosting buckets she got from Leppinks for free while picking up the Pumpkin Rolls her friend made.

I'm bringing them in from the Envoy to wash the frosting out. Shit changes by the minute sometimes and I'm finning it

Slippy
12-16-2023, 09:31 AM
+1 for getting natural gas!
-1 for pain the rear having to get a new water heater but you'll most likely save money over time.

Money saved=new firearm?

Win-win!

BucketBack
12-16-2023, 09:40 AM
And I found 8 # of Kosher salt just for the Long Island Jew

Dwight55
12-16-2023, 10:14 AM
Generally speaking . . . I'd almost rather be a black dude at a KKK meeting than have to do a hot water tank replacement.

Hate it beyond words . . . but it is what it is . . . just have to grit the teeth . . . and do it.

May God bless,
Dwight

T-Man 1066
12-16-2023, 10:21 AM
There are worse things. Buddy of mine is going to try to move a old 20 X 20 garage about 1/3 mile to his place. Used to be his Grandma and Grandpa's house, he is getting the garage for free. I think I will have no part of it. Not sure even if he lifts it up high enough to get on the trailer, will he be able to turn onto the road without knocking down mail boxes? I told him to make a 21' X 21' square out of 2X4's, place it on his trailer, and see if he can maneuver it the whole distance before he commits to moving it for real. Plus guaranteed one of the neighbors will try to leave or come home while he is taking up the whole road for 10-15 mins...

BucketBack
12-16-2023, 10:33 AM
The key is getting the same size or a little shorter. If it's taller you have to cut the supply line . I haven't done one since the High Pressure Plumbing days, Rick Gillad aka Gizz 30 years ago.

He jumped in front of a train in Fla

My other plumber buddy bought out that name and customers,

Slippy
12-16-2023, 10:59 AM
There are worse things. Buddy of mine is going to try to move a old 20 X 20 garage about 1/3 mile to his place. Used to be his Grandma and Grandpa's house, he is getting the garage for free. I think I will have no part of it. Not sure even if he lifts it up high enough to get on the trailer, will he be able to turn onto the road without knocking down mail boxes? I told him to make a 21' X 21' square out of 2X4's, place it on his trailer, and see if he can maneuver it the whole distance before he commits to moving it for real. Plus guaranteed one of the neighbors will try to leave or come home while he is taking up the whole road for 10-15 mins...

Yeah, that's a project that I want no part of...

Dwight55
12-16-2023, 12:57 PM
It's called "dismantle" and "reassemble".

Walls come apart at the corners . . .

Roof comes off in normally 2 pieces . . . and even if it has to come off all together . . . easier to move it than the whole Mcgillicutty . . .

Whole bunch easier than the "all one piece" idea.

May God bless,
Dwight

T-Man 1066
12-16-2023, 01:46 PM
It's called "dismantle" and "reassemble".

Walls come apart at the corners . . .

Roof comes off in normally 2 pieces . . . and even if it has to come off all together . . . easier to move it than the whole Mcgillicutty . . .

Whole bunch easier than the "all one piece" idea.

May God bless,
Dwight

I did mention that to him.. he said "naw its easy..." yea, no!

Inor
12-16-2023, 02:51 PM

OH HELL NO!!!!! I don't care how much money he saves, there are things in life far more valuable than money! The self-respect he saves from not making a fool of yourself trying to move a 20X20 foot building down the road is one of them!

Slippy
12-16-2023, 02:55 PM
OH HELL NO!!!!! I don't care how much money he saves, there are things in life far more valuable than money! The self-respect he saves from not making a fool of yourself trying to move a 20X20 foot building down the road is one of them!

Never chase a puppy or your hat on a windy day in front of other people.

And never try and move an old 20x20 garage by loading it on a trailer and moving it down a highway!

On 3rd thought, invite a bunch of buddies for a bonfire/bbq/beerfest and do the needful on the garage with a matchstick! :bounce:

Prepared One
12-16-2023, 06:23 PM
If you can't get your friends drunk enough to help you, don't do it!

Box of frogs
12-16-2023, 06:32 PM
I did mention that to him.. he said "naw its easy..." yea, no!

Please please please , show up on the side of the road and take pictures.
We must see this impending disaster.

bigwheel
12-16-2023, 06:56 PM
Good score on the food. Its been so many decades since we had natural gas I nearly forgot that stuff scares me..lol. When a house blows up in Dallas thats usually what did it. Unless they were cooking meth or something.

T-Man 1066
12-16-2023, 07:04 PM

And never try and move an old 20x20 garage by loading it on a trailer and moving it down a highway!

On 3rd thought, invite a bunch of buddies for a bonfire/bbq/beerfest and do the needful on the garage with a matchstick! :bounce:

This guy does construction for a living. real good workmanship, but kinda sketchy when it comes to evaluating what makes more financial sense. He could build a new garage faster and cheaper than any of us, yet steps over a dollar to pick up a dime on a project like this...

T-Man 1066
12-16-2023, 07:09 PM
I do apologize to the 5 gallon feller about derailing this thread... I owe you a cold tool buddy!! :verysorry:

BucketBack
12-16-2023, 07:14 PM

I tether the ankle biter( 3 ) to the shifter on her leash, long enough to land on the ground if she jumps out the window, and keep a spare key for when any of them lock the doors. One at a time .

Dwight55
12-17-2023, 02:48 AM
If he is really up on doing that . . . one piece going down the road.

Tell him to lock the door open . . . use 2 x 4's across the thing to keep it steady and not heaving the sides in and out.

Place his tractor in the dead center . . . rig up a 2 x 10 on the front of the tractor to go from side to side . . . and be able to be lifted up by a small hydraulic jack.

Rig the back 2 x 10 so the 3 pt hitch in the back lifts it up . . .

Jack the thing up and drive it home with the tractor.

May God bless,
Dwight

T-Man 1066
12-17-2023, 07:41 AM
If he is really up on doing that . . . one piece going down the road.

Tell him to lock the door open . . . use 2 x 4's across the thing to keep it steady and not heaving the sides in and out.

Place his tractor in the dead center . . . rig up a 2 x 10 on the front of the tractor to go from side to side . . . and be able to be lifted up by a small hydraulic jack.

Rig the back 2 x 10 so the 3 pt hitch in the back lifts it up . . .

Jack the thing up and drive it home with the tractor.

May God bless,
Dwight

His plan was to move it on a gooseneck deck-over trailer. I just hope he doesn't think he is going to borrow mine...

BucketBack
12-17-2023, 09:53 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/5c/5cc47bdd907483a5335b717f325a1eb988d2bc099e93548ee8 1a8ce17b2285f4.jpg

shootbrownelk
12-17-2023, 10:11 AM
Getting Natural Gas next week, so it's time for a new tank, especially since the current one is making crackling noises.Anyway's I have to move a couple doored pantry things to gain access to even vac it out to buy a little more time

I found a dozen containers of Salt, 6 Olive Oils, a 2 1/2 gallon bucket's worth of Northern beans, 10 qt veggie oil, 10 baking soda, 10 corn starch, 20 # rice. 10 can salmon, and 20 SPAM.

This was a nice "Find" to add to our pantry, plus a lot of extra's are going to Benny's House on Tuesday

Our hot water heater went tits up 2 weeks ago. My friend the plumber retired (without asking me) , so we went to Home Depot and looked at water heaters. I never heard of any of the brands they carried and all were between $800 & $1,200, we had an AO Smith heater. I asked about installation, called their subcontractor about a price. They wanted more for installation than the water heater. The quote was $2,000+.

I called my plumber friend and he recommended a local company that's been around forever. He quoted me $1300 max total for another AO Smith unit. They came, installed it and left inside an hour. When they sent us the bill, it came to just over $1,100.00. I was pleasantly surprised. Home Depot can go straight to Hell.

BucketBack
12-17-2023, 10:46 AM
Product Image
Performance 40 Gal. Short 6 Year 38,000 BTU Natural Gas Tank Water Heater
by Rheem $645.49 + $20 installation surcharge for a 30 pack of Keystone Light

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-40-Gal-Short-6-Year-38-000-BTU-Natural-Gas-Tank-Water-Heater-XG40S06HE38U0/326406085

Dwight55
12-17-2023, 01:05 PM
His plan was to move it on a gooseneck deck-over trailer. I just hope he doesn't think he is going to borrow mine...

Him and three drinking buddies . . . one on each corner . . . gonna lift it up and set it on the trailer???

Teach him how to do it with the tractor . . . makes a lot more sense.

May God bless,
Dwight

T-Man 1066
12-17-2023, 01:57 PM
Him and three drinking buddies . . . one on each corner . . . gonna lift it up and set it on the trailer???

Teach him how to do it with the tractor . . . makes a lot more sense.

May God bless,
Dwight

I think he was going to use hydraulic bottle jack or a farm jack and some cribbing.

Trying my best NOT to get involved... haha

Inor
12-17-2023, 07:02 PM
I think he was going to use hydraulic bottle jack or a farm jack and some cribbing.

He just needs to get some Amishs. (I expect some of those extra illegal Mexicans in Chi-town might also work...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZL7TqSeDus

Dwight55
12-17-2023, 07:06 PM

If that is the intended procedure . . . yeah . . . "not involved" . . . is a good place to be.

When one of the corners slips off the bottle jack with it up high enough for him to back the trailer under it . . . he'll wind up with a bent door or two . . . busted window glass . . . and a pile of splintered firewood.

Good time for you to make a trip to the local pond and go pollywoging or salmon fishing . . . the pond that is about 15 miles away . . . and out of cell phone range.

May God bless,
Dwight

BucketBack
12-17-2023, 07:08 PM
He just needs to get some Amishs. (I expect some of those extra illegal Mexicans in Chi-town might also work...)

The Mennonites around here do the same things as the folks at County

T-Man 1066
12-18-2023, 08:26 AM

He is just north of Rockford, so he would have to get toothless meth heads. He can just tell them they are stealing the garage for money, and they will get it moved no problem! Haha

BucketBack
12-18-2023, 08:37 AM
I'm 25 miles NW of Rockford

T-Man 1066
12-18-2023, 10:11 AM
I assume Rockford MI, not Rockford IL?

BucketBack
12-18-2023, 01:01 PM
:verysorry:

but we have illegal " Jose's" and meth heads and Amish and Mennonites all close by

BucketBack
12-18-2023, 01:11 PM
Ordered a tank local for $629, I can pick it up Thirsty Thursday. Gas line was installed to home a few minnows ago, gas is turned on across the street.https://i.imgflip.com/21lipd.jpg

hawgrider
12-18-2023, 02:20 PM
Ordered a tank local for $629, I can pick it up Thirsty Thursday. Gas line was installed to home a few minnows ago, gas is turned on across the street.https://i.imgflip.com/21lipd.jpg
Propane tank?

BucketBack
12-18-2023, 04:52 PM
Natural Gas, the propane tank should last on a lower non scalding temp without issue until changeover. Dappy cleaning gal moves stuff where it ain't ought be.