PDA

View Full Version : Yote Problems...

Inor
12-20-2023, 09:49 PM
I knew it was going to happen sooner or later and frankly, I am a bit surprised it took this long, but we are starting to have some real coyote problems. I have shot a few just outside our fence line the last few years, but until last Saturday, we never had one inside the fence. Last Saturday night they got inside the pasture and killed a turkey and a guinea. Two nights ago, they got inside the pasture again and killed another turkey. So we moved our last remaining turkey closer to the house (and the dogs and other birds), but I'm thinking that is only a temporary solution.

Since yesterday was my last full day of work for the next few weeks, today I declared war on the bastards!

I found the corner of the pasture where they are getting in under the fence. Unfortunately, where they are getting in is also an area that is frequented by cows and the ground is pretty rocky. So it is not a good area to just take a shot at them as I am afraid a ricochet might hit a cow. So I am going to try my hand at trapping.

I have never trapped before. But a neighbor/friend that has done a lot of it, loaned me a bunch of leg traps and spent a few hours this afternoon walking me through the process of preparing the traps and a quick overview on how to set them up and bait them. So... Off we go on a brand new adventure!

Obviously, in a perfect world I will catch the alpha, whack him and string him up on the fence. But even if I do a shitty job of setting the traps and just scare the yotes away, it does solve my immediate problem. Longer term, I think I am going to start shopping around for an Anatolian dog to live in the pasture and yard and guard against intruders at night. Although that does present its own challenges with getting the Anatolian dog to fit in with the rest of our pack without upsetting our current hierarchy...

Big Ken
12-20-2023, 10:10 PM
I had always heard donkeys were a deterrent for coyotes.

Inor
12-20-2023, 10:36 PM
I had always heard donkeys were a deterrent for coyotes.

They are/were... Back when we had 2 donkeys, they kept the yotes away no problem. After we lost one, the remaining one is not nearly as good about it by herself.

Slippy
12-21-2023, 06:56 AM
Inor,

I wouldn't worry too much about a ricochet when shooting at a coyote near rocks and hard surfaces. I believe that coyotes, being smart, need to be shocked and shocked quickly. Killing a few violently and scaring as many as possible tends to send the message. At least for Southeastern Coyotes.

Arizona Mountain/Desert Coyotes may be different.

Regardless, .223/5.56 should do the job. Night Vision and Thermal Optics might be pretty cool. A new bolt action in .22-250 might also be justified. I'll begin the research.

God Speed to Hell with coyotes!

Slippy
12-21-2023, 07:17 AM
Ruger American in .22-250. Bolt action, comes with rail for scope/optic mounting. Synthetic stock so you can beat the snot out of it. Price point should be in the $500-$600 range.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/6945.html

Expect to pay $4k + for thermal and or night vision...

hawgrider
12-21-2023, 07:33 AM
I knew it was going to happen sooner or later and frankly, I am a bit surprised it took this long, but we are starting to have some real coyote problems. I have shot a few just outside our fence line the last few years, but until last Saturday, we never had one inside the fence. Last Saturday night they got inside the pasture and killed a turkey and a guinea. Two nights ago, they got inside the pasture again and killed another turkey. So we moved our last remaining turkey closer to the house (and the dogs and other birds), but I'm thinking that is only a temporary solution.

Since yesterday was my last full day of work for the next few weeks, today I declared war on the bastards!

I found the corner of the pasture where they are getting in under the fence. Unfortunately, where they are getting in is also an area that is frequented by cows and the ground is pretty rocky. So it is not a good area to just take a shot at them as I am afraid a ricochet might hit a cow. So I am going to try my hand at trapping.

I have never trapped before. But a neighbor/friend that has done a lot of it, loaned me a bunch of leg traps and spent a few hours this afternoon walking me through the process of preparing the traps and a quick overview on how to set them up and bait them. So... Off we go on a brand new adventure!

Obviously, in a perfect world I will catch the alpha, whack him and string him up on the fence. But even if I do a shitty job of setting the traps and just scare the yotes away, it does solve my immediate problem. Longer term, I think I am going to start shopping around for an Anatolian dog to live in the pasture and yard and guard against intruders at night. Although that does present its own challenges with getting the Anatolian dog to fit in with the rest of our pack without upsetting our current hierarchy...

Your task of trapping them will be difficult. Boil boil boil the traps to kill scent. Placement and setting of the traps must be perfect. You may have one shot at getting one in a leg hold after that its game over.

You may be better off getting a electronic call over a bait pile and some no doze to stay up several nights with your choice of accurate lead. 17 HMR would do the job nicely as not too loud and flat shooting.

Slippy
12-21-2023, 08:44 AM
Your task of trapping them will be difficult. Boil boil boil the traps to kill scent. Placement and setting of the traps must be perfect. You may have one shot at getting one in a leg hold after that its game over.

You may be better off getting a electronic call over a bait pile and some no doze to stay up several nights with your choice of accurate lead. 17 HMR would do the job nicely as not too loud and flat shooting.

I dig the 17hmr round and dream about shooting a coyote in the eyeball with a .17hmr!!!!!

hawgrider
12-21-2023, 08:52 AM
I'd set up from a window in the house using the dead and live chickens and turkeys as bait. If you have a rabbit source use some dead bunny furs, entrails and the electronic wounded rabbit call.

Prepared One
12-21-2023, 09:14 AM
They shoot Coyotes on sight here along with the wild Hogs. Ranchers and farmers will trap the hogs if they are overrun but they mostly shoot the Yotes and leave them were they fall. They consider them pests along with the coons and possum. Killed my share of coons and possum but have yet to see a yote or a hog. Then again, we have no livestock for them to feed on and there are plenty of other places around here that have all the critters they would want. I am no great white hunter but if it were me I would shoot one or two and leave em were they be as a warning.

As for the Anatolian, they are great dogs, high strung and stubborn as hell. Make sure they are full blooded. Ours, as it turns out, is a mix so I am not sure how protective he is. He is a beautiful dog and he does watch the fence lines and loves to be outside, which is good, because he is huge and sheds. Then again, I haven't seen a coon or a possum since we got him, so there is that.

Mad Trapper
12-21-2023, 05:02 PM
Can you use snares in AZ? Where they come under fence is an ideal location.

I had a friend who would tether a chicken to a stake out in pastures at night. He had the chicken connect to another string he ran to the edge of the pasture where he sat with a .223, a little off straight downwind to the sides. He'd do this on full moons (pre good available NV days) and give the chicken a yank every 10-15 minutes to elicit some noises.

BucketBack
12-21-2023, 06:25 PM
Next time you butcher some yard buzzard, save the chix guts. Obtain a stainless 3/4" or larger barbed treble hook , most places like 1/16" cable as legal for a snare. Fasten the cable to the hook, tie it in a springy tree thingy so the treble is about 3-4' off the ground. Fasten the chix guts to hook and go home and wait for the music.
A song dog may just try and eat the chix and get caught on the hook, so his buddies may feed on him / her / it.

A standard M193 may work well with a bright light, you may be able to get the whole bunch of them

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coyotes-killing-everything-ever-heard-of-this-method-to-kill-the-predator.803082/

Inor
12-21-2023, 06:32 PM

I had a friend who would tether a chicken to a stake out in pastures at night. He had the chicken connect to another string he ran to the edge of the pasture where he sat with a .223, a little off straight downwind to the sides. He'd do this on full moons (pre good available NV days) and give the chicken a yank every 10-15 minutes to elicit some noises.

That is my fall-back position if the trap idea does not work. The area where they are getting is a few hundred yards from the house. So if I am going to shoot them, I am going to be sitting out there all night (freezing my butt off) waiting for them. So if I can trap one or two and dispatch them and hang the carcasses on the fence the next morning, like a sane person, that is my preferred solution.

shootbrownelk
12-21-2023, 06:46 PM
Make sure that your traps are boiled & scent free, use rubber gloves when making the set and brush away all traces of your presence. Coyotes are damned smart. If you lose one in a trap. you'll never catch it again. There's always poison, but that tactic can have unintended victims, like dogs & cats.

BucketBack
12-21-2023, 06:55 PM
I had the trebles in stock from fishing in the St Clair River, and Dad had the cable, and snares only got one at a time..........

We used to hunt off the Escanaba River near Rock MI. So anything went

kinda like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdeYwy09krE

better version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x6IsFMpOs

Inor
12-21-2023, 07:56 PM
Make sure that your traps are boiled & scent free, use rubber gloves when making the set and brush away all traces of your presence. Coyotes are damned smart. If you lose one in a trap. you'll never catch it again. There's always poison, but that tactic can have unintended victims, like dogs & cats.

One thing that is in my favor in this particular situation: I don't really care if I actually get anything or not. I just want the yotes to stop killing my birds. So if I trap them and kill them, great! If I just drive them away so they leave my birds alone, that is fine too.

I looked at poison but that is not a good option in this situation. We are in the middle of a cattle ranch and the last thing I need is for a calf to get into the poison.

hawgrider
12-21-2023, 09:03 PM
One thing that is in my favor in this particular situation: I don't really care if I actually get anything or not. I just want the yotes to stop killing my birds. So if I trap them and kill them, great! If I just drive them away so they leave my birds alone, that is fine too.

I looked at poison but that is not a good option in this situation. We are in the middle of a cattle ranch and the last thing I need is for a calf to get into the poison.

Other things you could try are go see a barber. Ask him to save the hair he sweeps up for a week.
Spread the human hair around the property it may detour them a bit. You could try some motion lights with a scare crow.

Set up a game camera so you can pattern the time of their visits then it will narrow the time down you have to spend outside frezzeing in the chicken coop.

red442joe
12-21-2023, 11:07 PM
Next time you butcher some yard buzzard, save the chix guts. Obtain a stainless 3/4" or larger barbed treble hook , most places like 1/16" cable as legal for a snare. Fasten the cable to the hook, tie it in a springy tree thingy so the treble is about 3-4' off the ground. Fasten the chix guts to hook and go home and wait for the music.
A song dog may just try and eat the chix and get caught on the hook, so his buddies may feed on him / her / it.

A standard M193 may work well with a bright light, you may be able to get the whole bunch of them

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coyotes-killing-everything-ever-heard-of-this-method-to-kill-the-predator.803082/

Jesus H. Christ BB, where'd ya come across that site?
The pop-ups were fuckin' ridiculous!

Joe

Box of frogs
12-22-2023, 06:18 AM

Damn BB. That’s way kinda fucked up.
I’d sit in a field and spotlight them with no problem, but feeding an animal tethered treble hooks crosses a line for me.

Box of frogs
12-22-2023, 06:23 AM

I’ve been looking at some body traps online.
I’ve never trapped game before but I have 7-8 raccoons that help themselves to my deer feeder on a regular basis.
I’d like to thin their population a bit. I might just have to send you a message for some tips on the subject.
BoF

Box of frogs
12-22-2023, 06:23 AM
Double post

shootbrownelk
12-22-2023, 08:00 AM
That treble hook idea would probably work, but I'd hate to come and check it to find the neighbor's dog trashing around on it. Just like those snares, they're indiscriminate killers. With a leg hold you can release collateral captures and shoot the coyotes.

Jester-ND
12-22-2023, 08:44 AM

so the guy jerks his chicken in the moonlight? nothin to see here folks, move along!:censored::censored:

Prepared One
12-22-2023, 09:23 AM
Maybe we are going about this all wrong, maybe we should use liberal democrats as bait?

Mad Trapper
12-22-2023, 09:28 AM
I’ve been looking at some body traps online.
I’ve never trapped game before but I have 7-8 raccoons that help themselves to my deer feeder on a regular basis.
I’d like to thin their population a bit. I might just have to send you a message for some tips on the subject.
BoF

A body trap the size for a coon will also kill a lot of incidental things just like a snare would. I suppose for coon you could mount them in a tree like they do for marten/fisher. Check state regs, some states they are for underwater use only/or prohibited.

They make traps specific for raccoons. The coon has to put it's hand inside the trap to get at the bait and the coon's hand get caught. I've not used them but seen them advertised in Fur Fish Game magazine.

https://www.pcsoutdoors.com/American-Dog-Proof-Raccoon-Bundle.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21LObuMg20c&t=557s

You can also box trap coon, then any incidentals can be released easily. I got these 3 (and 1 bigger/huge one free last spring) the large one is coon size. Yotes and fox are too shy for a boxtrap.

This picture/meme came up on the internet a while back

Slippy
12-22-2023, 10:18 AM
so the guy jerks his chicken in the moonlight? nothin to see here folks, move along!:censored::censored:

:biglaugh:

Mad Trapper
12-22-2023, 05:00 PM

There is recipes on how to jerk your chicken too..............maybe Hawg has one ? Your supposed to grill or bake it after you jerk it......

shootbrownelk
12-22-2023, 05:36 PM
A body trap the size for a coon will also kill a lot of incidental things just like a snare would. I suppose for coon you could mount them in a tree like they do for marten/fisher. Check state regs, some states they are for underwater use only/or prohibited.

They make traps specific for raccoons. The coon has to put it's hand inside the trap to get at the bait and the coon's hand get caught. I've not used them but seen them advertised in Fur Fish Game magazine.

You can also box trap coon, then any incidentals can be released easily. I got these 3 (and 1 bigger/huge one free last spring) the large one is coon size. Yotes and fox are too shy for a boxtrap.

Hey Mad Trapper, you said 'coon........:thatsracist:

bigwheel
12-22-2023, 07:02 PM
A wire top on the pens works fairly good. They usually jump in from the top.

Box of frogs
12-22-2023, 07:04 PM

That exact dog proof hand trap was in my inbox from Midway outdoors today.
I think this could be the way I go for trapping.
Need to check if coons are year round and what the trapping regs are versus hunting license.

SOCOM42
12-24-2023, 03:41 PM
Kid was taking the indoor dogs for a walk last night,

while walking down to the pit gate she encountered a yote sitting in front of it.

The gate is about 150 yards from here, the fucker didn't move out very quick either as they approached.

She got within about 25 yards of it before it left.

The two dogs are golden retrievers, not the small ankle biter types, but not aggressive dogs like the others.

She had a model 60 Smith with her, next trip out will be with an M1 carbine in tow.

I have shot the fuckers in front of that gate before from here with an ANPVS-4 on the rifle, about 10 PM at night.

I leave them there for the others to see and for someone else to eat.

The remains are always gone the next day, yeah they are left there dead, the 7.62X51 NATO does a bloody job on them.

The suckers do come out in the daytime way up in the pit about 600 yds. from the gate, seen them before from my hide.

Box of frogs
12-31-2023, 09:44 AM

Ordered two of those dog proof raccoon traps.
They work. Caught one the first night I had them out around the feeder.
Thanks BoF

Mad Trapper
12-31-2023, 12:00 PM
Ordered two of those dog proof raccoon traps.
They work. Caught one the first night I had them out around the feeder.
Thanks BoF

Now all ya need is a possum and sweet taters for New Years dinner.......

Box of frogs
12-31-2023, 02:35 PM
Now all ya need is a possum and sweet taters for New Years dinner.......

Hey now. Don’t forget the collard greens, black eyed peas, and cornbread

bigwheel
01-01-2024, 07:27 PM
the democrats around here tend to prefer Coon with Cololards

BucketBack
01-02-2024, 12:27 PM
Kid was taking the indoor dogs for a walk last night,

while walking down to the pit gate she encountered a yote sitting in front of it.

The gate is about 150 yards from here, the fucker didn't move out very quick either as they approached.

She got within about 25 yards of it before it left.

The two dogs are golden retrievers, not the small ankle biter types, but not aggressive dogs like the others.

She had a model 60 Smith with her, next trip out will be with an M1 carbine in tow.

I have shot the fuckers in front of that gate before from here with an ANPVS-4 on the rifle, about 10 PM at night.

I leave them there for the others to see and for someone else to eat.

The remains are always gone the next day, yeah they are left there dead, the 7.62X51 NATO does a bloody job on them.

The suckers do come out in the daytime way up in the pit about 600 yds. from the gate, seen them before from my hide.

Why the hate for the M1 Carbine? They say it won't kill a deer, and a 357 is the minimum, but the 22lr has poached more deer than hunters have shot legal. Both the 357 and 30 Carb have impressive ballistics, so of course I load for both......

Slippy
01-02-2024, 01:06 PM
the democrats around here tend to prefer Coon with Cololards

Interesting...some say...the democrats around here ARE coons...

Mad Trapper
01-02-2024, 01:19 PM
Interesting...some say...the democrats around here ARE coons...

but how do they taste? (cross post in pictures)

1skrewsloose
01-11-2024, 09:42 PM
Why the hate for the M1 Carbine? They say it won't kill a deer, and a 357 is the minimum, but the 22lr has poached more deer than hunters have shot legal. Both the 357 and 30 Carb have impressive ballistics, so of course I load for both......

Reminds me of when I started doing 'on the farm slaughter', folks would say they used a 22 to take down a steer of 1200 lbs, I'd say back, why do you use an 06 to take a 150# deer. They didn't have much to say after that. For the most part I think folks are way overgunned for what they hunt, except game that can fuck you up, Grizzlies and the like, then I think too much is just enough.

MountainGirl
01-12-2024, 06:54 AM

but how do they taste? (cross post in pictures)

Like chicken. :)

BucketBack
01-12-2024, 07:34 AM
Reminds me of when I started doing 'on the farm slaughter', folks would say they used a 22 to take down a steer of 1200 lbs, I'd say back, why do you use an 06 to take a 150# deer. They didn't have much to say after that. For the most part I think folks are way overgunned for what they hunt, except game that can fuck you up, Grizzlies and the like, then I think too much is just enough.

300 BO is scary on hogs, as in it takes more than 1 shot most times, I was told Hogs eat people when they can...

I don't load it anymore, as subs didn't function well when quiet

bigwheel
01-12-2024, 08:32 PM
General rumor back when I was interested in such things..is the .30 caliber ammo is a great round for a pistol but a bit of a weakling in a rifle.

BucketBack
01-12-2024, 09:19 PM
The 30 Carbine is a P.C.C. from way back.:chopper: