PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw search

MoreAmmoOK
03-02-2024, 11:13 AM
Found the bandsaw I want. Just don't know how I'd get it home or how I'd move it around once I got it here. Tannewitz 36", 3000 pounds, 9' tall. Bargain priced at $2100.00. It's also 3ph. and I don't have 3ph power here. I'd have to get a converter to run it.
Guess it would be a good excuse to buy a machine to unload and move it around with.
It would certainly be overkill for the woodworking I do but would great to have "just in case".
It's about the same price as some I've been looking at that are less than half it's size and power.

red442joe
03-03-2024, 01:51 AM
I used the wrecker to bring my Bridgeport home.
Call the local tow company, ask for the guy that prefers the wrecker over the flatbed.

Joe

Slippy
03-03-2024, 05:58 AM
I wonder if you could get a mess of illegals to carry the bandsaw home for you? Bonus points if they grill some tacos by the roadside during breaks?

Box of frogs
03-03-2024, 06:35 AM
That reminds me of the saw we had in wood shop back in my school years.
For the price that’s a steal ! Congrats on the find.

As for Slippy’s Mexicans…. The ones that roofed my last house would cook burritos in a microwave they plugged into the generator.
Then they would nap under the truck in the shade for the rest of their lunch break.

Inor
03-03-2024, 07:21 AM
That definitely would be a peach! You could do resawing from the whole log!

MoreAmmoOK
03-03-2024, 07:51 AM
I wonder if you could get a mess of illegals to carry the bandsaw home for you? Bonus points if they grill some tacos by the roadside during breaks?

It's about 200 miles from my house, don't think I could find enough Mexicans dedicated enough to haul it that far.
As much as I'd like to have it it'd be too impractical to own. Current shop(garage) has 8' ceiling, I'd have to build a new shop. I'm afraid to check the price of bands for it.
I sent a message asking the model# but haven't heard back.

MoreAmmoOK
03-03-2024, 07:52 AM

It's about 200 miles from my house, don't think I could find enough Mexicans dedicated enough to haul it that far.
As much as I'd like to have it it'd be too impractical to own. Current shop(garage) has 8' ceiling, I'd have to build a new shop. I'm afraid to check the price of bands for it.

Inor
03-03-2024, 07:55 AM

When they are that big, they usually have a spot-welder built into the saw. You can just buy blade stock in a roll and weld the blades to size yourself.

T-Man 1066
03-03-2024, 08:05 AM

You might be surprised. I buy blades for my 24" Powermatic. Usually M42 blades for steel, 12'6" long, 3/4" x .035" for around $55 each. Blades will last a good while as long as the pitch is appropriate for the material to be cut and the speed is reasonable.

Another option for power would be to use a VFD, i did that on mine, and now have variable speed as well as dynamic braking.

MoreAmmoOK
03-03-2024, 08:07 AM
When they are that big, they usually have a spot-welder built into the saw. You can just buy blade stock in a roll and weld the blades to size yourself.

I was wondering if it does have a welder, that's part of why I asked the model#.
It's on CL, may be a scam.
Ad says it's in Denton, TX. If I can get a location I might drive down just to look at it.

T-Man 1066
03-03-2024, 08:15 AM
I was wondering if it does have a welder, that's part of why I asked the model#.
It's on CL, may be a scam.
Ad says it's in Denton, TX. If I can get a location I might drive down just to look at it.

It seems like most of the saws round here that had welders, are either missing the welder, or it didn't work any more.

BucketBack
03-03-2024, 09:40 AM

That's a wood saw, judging by the sawdust. If you spot welded a blade in a shop with dust, you may just get a no Fire Dept coming. Not to mention if a dust collector was involved.....

My Cuz was Fire Chief a block from the shop I worked at for 6 years. He told me the shop was on a wait until it burns down list.

15 years later........