PDA

View Full Version : Prepping vs Bushcraft: Which is Better for SHTF?

hawgrider
03-10-2015, 09:21 AM
There has been a lot of spirited discussion in the comments this week so I thought I would try to throw another log on the fire and see what debate this article would generate. There seem to be two sides to this survival coin in terms of what people believe are the best tactics and skills needed to survive anything that comes your way. On one side we have preppers who tend to have certain interests and opinions. The other side is Survivalists or people who practice the art of Bushcraft. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but who do you think would fare better in a SHTF scenario? Who would win in the battle of Prepping vs Bushcraft?
http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2015/03/09/prepping-vs-bushcraft-which-is-better-for-shtf/

Arklatex
03-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I will read the article later. Personally I like both. I practice and study bushcraft as a hobby. One phrase that seems to sum it up nicely is "the more you know, the less you have to carry" It is somewhat true. I take issue with survivalists that plan to bug out to the wilds and live off the the land. That is a fantasy and they gonna die. But if you can do something with basically nothing other than a few simple tools all the better. You never know when you might have to fall back on you skills.

Prepping is also a smart thing. There are some things that just can't be made using bushcraft. Also, I'd rather wipe my ass with tp than a handful of leaves. Having lots of food to get you to the next growing season is smart if you're prepping for SHTF. Having lots of water and the ability to filter or make safe other sources is also smart. I could go on but I've said enough.

I think it's wise to do both. They go hand in hand. You need skills to go with your preps.

Inor
03-10-2015, 11:24 AM
I agree with Ark. Prepping and bushcraft go hand in hand and we need skills in both disciplines.

I view bushcraft as a solution to a short term problem. For example if my truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere having bushcraft skills will allow me to survive long enough to get back to civilization.

Prepping is more of a long term solution. Having the preps and the skills to use them and replenish them is necessary to long term survival. If you look at previous SHTF events, one of the first things to come back (usually within a couple days) of the event is commerce. Having the ability to survive the initial event and then having the ability to start trading trading shortly thereafter allows us to not just survive, but to thrive in a SHTF situation in my arrogant opinion.

hawgrider
03-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Yeah obviously in the "both" camp is the only way to look at it. Although secretly Id like to disappear and be a mountain man. Never to be seen again!

mhans
03-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Yeah obviously in the "both" camp is the only way to look at it. Although secretly Id like to disappear and be a mountain man. Never to be seen again!

dont disappear, we are gonna miss you :worried:

Montana Rancher
03-12-2015, 03:08 AM

Of course, come up to 'mountain man" latitudes and play with us!

The stark reality is that the "Jeremiah Johnson" climate will kill most you people from the "holler".

Of course you are the exception, having not outdoor skills, no understanding of weather patterns, no understandings of growing seasons and animal migration routes.

Yes...

come up here, I feel anything you bring with you will be an addition to my already substantial preps.

hawgrider
03-12-2015, 04:22 AM
Of course, come up to 'mountain man" latitudes and play with us!

The stark reality is that the "Jeremiah Johnson" climate will kill most you people from the "holler".

Of course you are the exception, having not outdoor skills, no understanding of weather patterns, no understandings of growing seasons and animal migration routes.

Yes...

come up here, I feel anything you bring with you will be an addition to my already substantial preps.

That's ok I'll pass Your mountains to big for me I'm heading to the Appalachian.

Edited to add- You know after reading your other 2 Richard posts from this morning I now realize your are just being a ass. So I say **** you have a nice day asshole! I should have expected this type of behavior from a stinkin dental floss tycoon.

Montana Rancher
03-14-2015, 12:35 AM
That's ok I'll pass Your mountains to big for me I'm heading to the Appalachian.

Edited to add- You know after reading your other 2 Richard posts from this morning I now realize your are just being a ass. So I say **** you have a nice day asshole! I should have expected this type of behavior from a stinkin dental floss tycoon.

You are right, I've been an ass for a while. I guess I get tired of the drivel that makes up a lot of prepper posts, those that say and have never done get under my skin. I had to look up dental floss tycoon, a terrible song, and I'm not seeing the correlation except that I live in Montana.

Great post.

Inor
03-14-2015, 12:44 AM
You are right, I've been an ass for a while. I guess I get tired of the drivel that makes up a lot of prepper posts, those that say and have never done get under my skin. I had to look up dental floss tycoon, a terrible song, and I'm not seeing the correlation except that I live in Montana.

Great post.

Hey Rancher -

Off topic, but WTF is up with your state legislature? I heard on radio a day or two ago that they voted to give all or most of the water rights in the state over to the indians? A. Is that true? B. Isn't that going to be kind of a problem for your ranchers? C. How can the state take water rights away from people that bought and paid for land that supposedly had water rights?

Please tell me this is not true, especially in Montana.

Montana Rancher
03-14-2015, 12:57 AM
Hey Rancher -

Off topic, but WTF is up with your state legislature? I heard on radio a day or two ago that they voted to give all or most of the water rights in the state over to the indians? A. Is that true? B. Isn't that going to be kind of a problem for your ranchers? C. How can the state take water rights away from people that bought and paid for land that supposedly had water rights?

Please tell me this is not true, especially in Montana.

I am guessing the radio information was misleading. There are several Indian tribes trying to adjudicate water from the state, including a similar measure in 2013 which was put down in the legislature (republican and a lot of ranchers) and although this year has a lot of increased pressure to "reform" water rights in the state, the overall feeling is that it will not pass.

This is just a continued attempt by the Federal Government to circumvent state law and strip rights from the citizens of a state. Several major rivers are experiencing record low water levels and the government is trying to figure ways to steal water from the farms to give it to the cities.

As we are at the top of the water "food chain" it makes sense to mess with us first.

hawgrider
03-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Great post.
If what I post is drivel to you. You certainly don't have to read it. There really is no reason to start chit although I love to argue sometimes I have not been looking to scrap with you. I certainly will swing back and block all punches when attacked first. That I can guarantee.

Montana Rancher
03-15-2015, 12:44 AM
If what I post is drivel to you. You certainly don't have to read it. There really is no reason to start chit although I love to argue sometimes I have not been looking to scrap with you. I certainly will swing back and block all punches when attacked first. That I can guarantee.

I appreciate that you contribute on a daily basis, I will never be that person, trust me I can't think of another really realavent thought I have had in the last 5 months.

Where as you post some thing realevant about every day,

(btw it pisses me off that I cannot spell realavent) maby relavent, nope, it still doesn't work.

So YES a lot of what you post is drivel, but since it is on the internet, we all have to live with it, and hence we have the option to call you out.

If you post things that say "this is drivel, read at your own discretion" then I'll avoid it, other than that you get what I send you.

hawgrider
03-15-2015, 07:43 AM
I appreciate that you contribute on a daily basis, I will never be that person, trust me I can't think of another really realavent thought I have had in the last 5 months.

Where as you post some thing realevant about every day,

(btw it pisses me off that I cannot spell realavent) maby relavent, nope, it still doesn't work.

So YES a lot of what you post is drivel, but since it is on the internet, we all have to live with it, and hence we have the option to call you out.

If you post things that say "this is drivel, read at your own discretion" then I'll avoid it, other than that you get what I send you.
Oh I can fix the drivel in your mind problem. I just wont post anything and then when you come here you can read almost nothing. If you prefer I can give sockpuppet and Arizona infidel a call back and then you can read their drivel. You know it may seem odd to you but the crap I see coming from you is worse than drivel. You and one other guy here don't post any content but your the first to start shit and criticize. That seems to be the game you and the all knowing one like to play. Me thinks you two need knocked off your almighty pedestal.

Hmm brainstorm..... I think I can cure you and the chosen one's all knowing power problem. Stay tuned.... I think you will like it.!

Montana Rancher
03-16-2015, 11:37 PM
Oh I can fix the drivel in your mind problem. I just wont post anything and then when you come here you can read almost nothing. If you prefer I can give sockpuppet and Arizona infidel a call back and then you can read their drivel. You know it may seem odd to you but the crap I see coming from you is worse than drivel. You and one other guy here don't post any content but your the first to start shit and criticize. That seems to be the game you and the all knowing one like to play. Me thinks you two need knocked off your almighty pedestal.

Hmm brainstorm..... I think I can cure you and the chosen one's all knowing power problem. Stay tuned.... I think you will like it.!

Ok, I'll bite one more time, when I say "drivel" it also means you need to have the last word, which it seems you already do.

That being said I am done.

hawgrider
03-17-2015, 04:26 AM
Ok, I'll bite one more time, when I say "drivel" it also means you need to have the last word, which it seems you already do.

That being said I am done.Sure ok ..... snagged last word lmao!

Moose
03-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I agree with Ark. Prepping and bushcraft go hand in hand and we need skills in both disciplines.

I view bushcraft as a solution to a short term problem. For example if my truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere having bushcraft skills will allow me to survive long enough to get back to civilization.

Prepping is more of a long term solution. Having the preps and the skills to use them and replenish them is necessary to long term survival. If you look at previous SHTF events, one of the first things to come back (usually within a couple days) of the event is commerce. Having the ability to survive the initial event and then having the ability to start trading trading shortly thereafter allows us to not just survive, but to thrive in a SHTF situation in my arrogant opinion.

^nail on the head^