PDA

View Full Version : Crider Canned Ground Beef Review

BucketBack
07-21-2024, 07:50 AM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/k5gAAOSwOe9l2JGy/s-l1600.jpg

I tasted it before adding it to chili, as we have a case of it. We didn't care for it.

" We" is Myself, Mrs BB, Krazey Kasey the Pug, and Stardom the taco dog.

The dogs eat dry dog food before the canned cooked Crider. No wonder it's so cheep, and it's stacked deep at Benny's, with us adding more on Wednesday when we do a meet and greet for a plant sale. I'll break up cardboard I guess....

Crider Chicken is OK though

eta - Note to self---Most of the brands I see at the pantry are really not that good, but they are cheep for pantries to buy

Mad Trapper
07-21-2024, 08:55 AM
Never seen Crider brand.

Meat has gotten dam expensive, burger as much/more than steaks. I've been buying up roasts on sale when prices are less than burger, then make my own steaks.

Sitting on rain checks now for eye rounds, $3/LB. I'll buy 3 whole rounds then slice up and vac seal/freeze.

shootbrownelk
07-21-2024, 05:29 PM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/k5gAAOSwOe9l2JGy/s-l1600.jpg

I tasted it before adding it to chili, as we have a case of it. We didn't care for it.

" We" is Myself, Mrs BB, Krazey Kasey the Pug, and Stardom the taco dog.

The dogs eat dry dog food before the canned cooked Crider. No wonder it's so cheep, and it's stacked deep at Benny's, with us adding more on Wednesday when we do a meet and greet for a plant sale. I'll break up cardboard I guess....

Crider Chicken is OK though

eta - Note to self---Most of the brands I see at the pantry are really not that good, but they are cheep for pantries to buy

They have Keystone canned ground beef and beef chunks at Sam's club. It sure ain't cheap though. Tastes OK however.

1skrewsloose
07-21-2024, 06:07 PM
I just opened a can of Ozark Foods canned ground beef last night, to see if it was still good, tasted great! Apparently they are out of business, best if used by date was 2027. Yeah, spendy shit. Been doing inventory on long term food preps.

Think they say good for 5 yrs, bought in 2016. Doesn't figure does it, made in 2016 , good till 2027, but good for 5 yrs?

StratBastard
07-21-2024, 06:56 PM
I just opened a can of Ozark Foods canned ground beef last night, to see if it was still good, tasted great! Apparently they are out of business, best if used by date was 2027. Yeah, spendy shit. Been doing inventory on long term food preps.

Think they say good for 5 yrs, bought in 2016. Doesn't figure does it, made in 2016 , good till 2027, but good for 5 yrs?

I'm sure they'd be fine 10 years from now.

I bought three cases of Keystone ground beef, 28 ounce cans. I'll be hanging on to them even after the "best by" date.

After WWIII, they'll still be better than some irradiated possum corpse laying out in the yard.

Mad Trapper
07-21-2024, 06:58 PM
I haven't tried canning meat as the process time is 90 minutes in a pressure canner. Lots of energy used doing that.

Maybe if I could figure it out on the woodstove in the winter?

1skrewsloose
07-21-2024, 07:13 PM
I'm sure they'd be fine 10 years from now.

I bought three cases of Keystone ground beef, 28 ounce cans. I'll be hanging on to them even after the "best by" date.

After WWIII, they'll still be better than some irradiated possum corpse laying out in the yard.

You right!!! Best buy date is just to scare people to throw out and buy new.

1skrewsloose
07-21-2024, 07:31 PM
I haven't tried canning meat as the process time is 90 minutes in a pressure canner. Lots of energy used doing that.

Maybe if I could figure it out on the woodstove in the winter?

When will they discover how to home can foods in something besides glass jars, guy could make big bucks.

StratBastard
07-21-2024, 08:15 PM
When will they discover how to home can foods in something besides glass jars, guy could make big bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsEpXPMiD-A

1skrewsloose
07-21-2024, 09:24 PM
Well...I'm be damned, will it keep for 20 years?

BucketBack
07-22-2024, 07:08 AM
We paid $10 for the case off fakebook in Comstock Park, near Feeding America. A volunteer probably was selling the Crider stuff they borrowed while loading up trucks.

Maybe if I soak the meat in the juices from the Mississippi Mud Roast from Saturday.

If I open the can out of the dogs sight, then add it to the gravy, and a leftover baked tater, the dogs may just eat it.

Now that I think about it, the dog food, laundry stuff, certain brands are LDS and only go to pantries around here.

The Facebook stuff is probably leftovers that food pantry clients didn't want.

We made pasta sauce a few weeks ago with some Keystone Ground Beef, best by when the Long Island Jew thread about Sandy @ SB came about.

The dogs didn't eat that either. We didn't have any leftovers

shootbrownelk
07-22-2024, 07:09 AM
You right!!! Best buy date is just to scare people to throw out and buy new.

If the cans aren't real rusty or obviously bulged, they're good. Best if used by.... is a bunch of BS as Stratbastard said, just to get you to toss it amd buy more.

Mad Trapper
07-22-2024, 08:58 AM
We paid $10 for the case off fakebook in Comstock Park, near Feeding America. A volunteer probably was selling the Crider stuff they borrowed while loading up trucks.

Maybe if I soak the meat in the juices from the Mississippi Mud Roast from Saturday.

If I open the can out of the dogs sight, then add it to the gravy, and a leftover baked tater, the dogs may just eat it.

Now that I think about it, the dog food, laundry stuff, certain brands are LDS and only go to pantries around here.

The Facebook stuff is probably leftovers that food pantry clients didn't want.

We made pasta sauce a few weeks ago with some Keystone Ground Beef, best by when the Long Island Jew thread about Sandy @ SB came about.

The dogs didn't eat that either. We didn't have any leftovers

If the dogs won't eat it, pour on some precious bacon fat and the dogs will be gobblin gobblins.

If I pour a little on their dry shit, they eat the whole bowl empty.

BucketBack
07-22-2024, 11:49 AM
I used the leftover butter sauce for zucchini and yellow squash from last night.

I tossed some ground beef in, no fat, cut up a Idaho tater, and some dry food .They ate it up