PDA

View Full Version : Onions 2024

Broncosfan
08-30-2024, 09:44 PM
We had a nice crop of onions this year. Our neighbor and youngest daughter picked them for us while we went to SC to pickup our oldest daughter and granddaughter over the 4th of July holiday. So i didn't get pic or weight but it was a nice crop. This evening the wife and I sliced and chopped and finished up with over 18 lbs that will go into the dehydrator tomorrow. I can't remember offhand how many pounds of fresh onions it takes to dehydrate and fill a pint jar. We also go our first rain in almost 2 weeks. Ended up with .30" not much help filling the pond but hopefully we get more that is forecasted for tomorrow.

Deebo
08-31-2024, 09:23 AM
Nice. Im the only onion fan at my house..

Prepared One
08-31-2024, 09:41 AM
MG and I both love onions. We always have some on hand.

stevekozak
09-01-2024, 08:49 AM
Nice! Onions are an underrated crop.

Sasquatch
09-01-2024, 02:28 PM
I'm jealous. My onions didnt do so great this year.

Broncosfan
09-02-2024, 08:15 PM
So starting off with over18 lbs of onions and after dehydrating them ended up with 6 pints and 1 half pint

MountainGirl
09-05-2024, 02:49 PM
So starting off with over18 lbs of onions and after dehydrating them ended up with 6 pints and 1 half pint

How long in the dehydrator and what temp?
I'm ready to start drying again; found a good sweet onion at the store for a reasonable price, might put up a bag. Need to do more mushrooms too; we used up our supply.

hawgrider
09-05-2024, 06:50 PM
I'm ready to start drying again; found a good sweet onion at the store for a reasonable price, might put up a bag. Need to do more mushrooms too; we used up our supply.

The dehydrated onions are the bomb for cooking. Do them outside cuz they be reeking while dehydrating.

Broncosfan
09-05-2024, 06:52 PM

MG Offhand I don't know what the max temp is for my dehydrator but I usually go about 3/4 of max. These I went max and forgot to turn it down. I loaded these trays full. The trays hold about 3/4" so they were packed. I let them go 36 hours. I done them in the building and you could smell them 30 plus feet away while I was picking apples. I flip trays when I remember. These got a bit darker than normal. Usually I pay closer attention but since they were in the building I just forgot about them . Sometimes I reduce the temp if I can't get them in jars and hold them to the next day. I haven't been able to download a pic becasue of the type of file. Hawgrider told me how to fix the problem I just haven't gotten to it yet. Thats the reason I didn't post a pic.

hawgrider
09-05-2024, 06:55 PM
I run my onions around 125° to 130° otherwise they cook instead of dry and they darkin up.

Broncosfan
09-05-2024, 06:56 PM
The dehydrated onions are the bomb for cooking. Do them outside cuz they be reeking while dehydrating.

Yes they sure are. Great for meatloaf and I've used them in making bbq sauce. My wife all but banded me from them in the house years ago. Then I done garlic in the garage 2 years ago and her new Jeep smelled like garlic for a couple of days so out of the garage now. Last year I used a canopy on the deck and it worked good because I remembered to check them.

MountainGirl
09-06-2024, 07:48 AM
Yes they sure are. Great for meatloaf and I've used them in making bbq sauce. My wife all but banded me from them in the house years ago. Then I done garlic in the garage 2 years ago and her new Jeep smelled like garlic for a couple of days so out of the garage now. Last year I used a canopy on the deck and it worked good because I remembered to check them.

Hadn't considered all that. I wonder if PO would let me dry some on his gun bench. :D

I've yet to dehydrate onions, though I use store bought dried onions/flakes/etc... many thanks for the heads up.
I wonder if I CAN do it outside - in the 80%+ humidity. LOL
May be best to store them whole; gotta learn if that's possible, etc, & best methods.
They sprout on our counter, but we keep them in a bowl on top of the microwave so that's probably heating them up enough for that.
Cool & dry is my guess... cool I can find, dry will be a trick.

shootbrownelk
09-09-2024, 07:17 PM
I love sweet onions. I have an American Harvester dehydrator but I haven't used it in years.