PDA

View Full Version : Preppers – Take that Target off Your Back

hawgrider
03-12-2015, 07:52 AM
There are many aspects of Prepping that we think of from a tactical perspective as being information we wouldn’t want to share with everyone. You don’t usually want to advertise to the world that you are a prepper in the first place because conventional wisdom would say you have supplies that others could want in a crisis scenario. To that end we discuss concepts like OPSEC or operational security – being those practices we employ to keep our supplies and activities on the down low. There is no sense telling your neighbors what you have and advertising your stash of prepping supplies if you ever expect to hang on to them in a crisis. At least without putting up a fight to keep them to yourself.

We also cover the concept of becoming the Grey man,
http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2015/03/11/preppers-take-that-target-off-your-back/

Txwheels
03-12-2015, 02:25 PM
We have three Preppers within 2 blocks of us. The brag to everyone they meeet about their preparations. None of the three have any idea what so ever that the wife and I prep.
Just the same as when I'm out and about, you'll never see me wearing the latest in 'tacticool' clothing. I'm usually in my jeans, T-shirt and soft cotton shirt hanging loose. I just look like some older guy, with a slight limp goin about my business. But it would be a severe mistake to figure me for a victim...

hawgrider
03-12-2015, 04:34 PM
We have three Preppers within 2 blocks of us. The brag to everyone they meeet about their preparations. None of the three have any idea what so ever that the wife and I prep.
Just the same as when I'm out and about, you'll never see me wearing the latest in 'tacticool' clothing. I'm usually in my jeans, T-shirt and soft cotton shirt hanging loose. I just look like some older guy, with a slight limp goin about my business. But it would be a severe mistake to figure me for a victim...
Yes sir. Loose lips sink ships.

Montana Rancher
03-14-2015, 01:13 AM
I have an opposing opinion

I live in a rural are but I still have about 60 people living within a 1 mile circumference of my house. As I have solar panels on my house I am guessing SHTF that people will think I am a lot more prepared than they were. So IMO for my situation I am better off joining with my neighbors and working out a security plan, a gardening plan, a communications plan that is not typical for you all down in the Holler.

Also my Christian beliefs kick in and I want to help as many people as I can. So I've put back a lot more canning supplies than most as well as seeds, I also have 40 acres that can be irrigated by a gravity feed system. IMO I will be able to organize a co-op of my neighbors that will provide security, produce food, and establish a community all based around my 40 acres.

We will need to use our firepower to repel scavengers, but that is a lot better than using it to kill the neighbors, whom I have spent 20+ years making relationships with.

Arklatex
03-14-2015, 09:22 AM
There are 3 families that know about our preps. The family that lives in the next pasture over from mine are prepper/homesteaders. They mostly keep to themselves but we have become close over the 5 years I've been here. We have about 100 acres in combined property. The other 2 are close friends that live in another county. The plan with them is to head to their place if we end up having to bug out. And vice versa.

Other than them I am not going to advertise my preps to just anybody. But if I meet someone who can discuss prepping I make good friends with them. And eventually we will have the group talk.

RWalls
03-16-2015, 09:13 PM
The way I dress for work everyday could probably make me look "tacticool" or "prep per" but is because I am working, I even wear knee pads most of the day because my nknees are aging faster than the rest of me. I love fire hose pants and Carhartts.