PDA

View Full Version : Grocery store stocking levels during the Longshoreman strike 2024...

T-Man 1066
10-02-2024, 08:47 PM
I wanted to start a thread to get a feel for the upcoming supply chain issues because of the strike in the east coast ports.

I am thinking we reference observations on shortages in the grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

So I went to a Schnucks grocery store today, on the IL/Wis border, about 75 miles west of Shitcago. Only thing they were thin on was bananas. TP, meat, pet food, soap, etc was stocked at usual levels.

What do you guys and gals see in your areas?

StratBastard
10-02-2024, 09:37 PM
Last few times we had runs on the grocery store, the toilet paper, bottled water, and Top Raman aisles were stripped. People in general have given zero thought to preparing, or even what to prepare with. I expect the same this time. Myself, on the other hand, I don't need a thing. There's a couple of sweet elderly ladies living close to me alone, one of them brought me a nice home cooked meal the week I first moved in. I'll be checking and making sure they don't go without.

Inor
10-02-2024, 10:25 PM
We only go to grocery store about every 3 months or so. Since we just went, the week before last, I am guessing the strike will be over by the time we go back. If the strike goes more than a week or two the bottleneck for shortages may not be over by then, but I'm not too worried about it.

What I do expect will affect us is the availability of things like motor oil and hydraulic oil. I normally keep a two year supply of those on hand. But when I change the oils in my tractor every fall, I usually replace what I used. I may not be doing that right away this year. But in all honesty, I was going to wait on that anyway just to see if the prices would come down a bit before replacing them anyway. So that is probably not a big deal either.

The one prep that has given me great comfort was one that I just considered for the first time a couple years ago: common spare parts for a lot of our hand tools like chain saws, log splitter, weed eater, etc. About two years ago, I decided that I should stock up on things like spare carburetors, spark plugs, filters, etc. They are cheap to keep around and when they do go bad, I do not like having to wait to finish a job until I can get a replacement. So having some spares was a good idea anyway, and if the supply chain becomes a problem again, that could be a game changer.

Prepared One
10-03-2024, 08:16 AM
I have not seen anything yet in my area but I haven't been to the grocery store or Wally World yet. wont be going for another week or so. I am not worried about shortages, MG and I have the bases covered. From what I am reading and hearing this should be resolved in a week or two. If it goes 4 weeks or more then you could see major shortages and price increases on what you can purchase. Those that haven't already better stock up.

Prepared One
10-03-2024, 09:23 AM
(Sigh) and so the foolishness begins

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dock-workers-strike-sparks-toilet-paper-panic-across-u-s/ar-AA1rDFkW?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=5a74ca0735f24d448314aaa37eb2828f&ei=15

1skrewsloose
10-03-2024, 09:38 AM
One sheet of TP butt wipe procedure. Your welcome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSprDLXPnA0

Mad Trapper
10-03-2024, 10:11 AM
Good time to fill the house oil fuel tanks.........

I'm already skuirreing away the rest......

Chiefster23
10-03-2024, 10:25 AM
COFFEE! All imported. All by ship. Stock up now boys and girls. I just received 3 more boxes in todays mail.

SOCOM42
10-03-2024, 12:08 PM
COFFEE! All imported. All by ship. Stock up now boys and girls. I just received 3 more boxes in todays mail.

I don't drink coffee anymore, 25 years now, can't drink it.

I do drink tea in place of the coffee, have a four years supply stored.