PDA

View Full Version : Get home bags

Montana Rancher
03-19-2015, 12:45 AM
I recently replaced my get home bag with a decent mountain bike, 2 bottles of water and a fanny pack with a lot of survival stuff in it.

I keep this in the locked canopy of my 3/4 ton Dodge as in most cases I am less than 20 miles from home.

So if the SHTF and my truck will not start (emp or solar flare) I really am less than 1.5 hours from home using the mountain bike. If I only had my GHB I am talking a 7-8 hour hike, so imo the bike wins.

I will strip firepower from the truck when I leave, which is a Remington 870 pistol grip shotgun and my Glock 42 in .380 auto, I have about 25 rounds for the 12 gauge and 25 rounds for the glock on hand. Of course as I work at Cabelas and it could easily be that I'm riding home from there, ammo will not be a problem.

SHTF getting home fast will be a major benefit and IMO a bike is the way to go.

Has Anyone else considered a mountain bike in their preps?

Inor
03-19-2015, 01:22 AM
Due to my work situation, a bike of any kind is not really an option.

When I am in Minnesota, I am usually never more than 15-20 miles from home. So, getting home in 2 hours with a bike or 8 hours by foot is not really a big enough issue to worry about in my arrogant opinion. However, as you know I travel a lot for work. Last year, I was out of Minnesota for 43 weeks. It is not practical to carry a bike with me on an airplane. And how much faster and easier is riding a bike home from California going to be than walking or hot wiring a car?

Montana Rancher
03-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Due to my work situation, a bike of any kind is not really an option.

When I am in Minnesota, I am usually never more than 15-20 miles from home. So, getting home in 2 hours with a bike or 8 hours by foot is not really a big enough issue to worry about in my arrogant opinion. However, as you know I travel a lot for work. Last year, I was out of Minnesota for 43 weeks. It is not practical to carry a bike with me on an airplane. And how much faster and easier is riding a bike home from California going to be than walking or hot wiring a car?

I appreciate your opinion, as I have recently done a 20 mile walk, I vote for the bike if it is optional.

I realize your conditions are not mine.