PDA

View Full Version : Head shot at 50 yards

Montana Rancher
03-19-2015, 12:57 AM
I've killed a couple fox this winter, they come sniffing round the hen house about this time of year looking for a easy meal. I don't blame them, but I put out my Primos call and usually I get them within 20 minutes to come in.

Sorry if the picture is small, I had to shrink it several times to get it to upload, probably as Hawgrider has banned me from replying to his blogs, it is another repercussion of my dissent.

This is the 2nd fox I've gotten this year, I have another pic but its not worth the time to shrink it down.

I shot him with my .17 HMR at around 40-50 yards, it was a head shot while he was pissing on a tree, haha.

hawgrider
03-19-2015, 05:21 AM
I've killed a couple fox this winter, they come sniffing round the hen house about this time of year looking for a easy meal. I don't blame them, but I put out my Primos call and usually I get them within 20 minutes to come in.

Sorry if the picture is small, I had to shrink it several times to get it to upload, probably as Hawgrider has banned me from replying to his blogs, it is another repercussion of my dissent.

This is the 2nd fox I've gotten this year, I have another pic but its not worth the time to shrink it down.

I shot him with my .17 HMR at around 40-50 yards, it was a head shot while he was pissing on a tree, haha.
I wouldn't do that to you .... would I ?:biglaugh:

Baglady
03-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Are you going to save the fur?

hawgrider
03-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Are you going to save the fur?

Back in the late 70's in Wi. Red fox pelt brought $60.00
30+ lbs Coons brought $40.00
With all the anti everything peta pricks Ive heard they aren't worth much now don't know if that's true Ive been out of the loop for quite a while now.

Baglady
03-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Personal use is what I would save it for. Nice warm hat, slippers..? IDK.

Dwight55
03-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Good job, my friend.

Got me a coon the other day with a .22, . . . like you a head shot, . . . but instead of 40-50 yds, . . . mine was 4-5 inches.

Dang thing kept eating my momma cat's food, . . . ran her out of her heated sleeping box, . . . then growled at me when I chased him out.

Dummy came back the next night for the salmon bait, . . . trapped him, . . . pitched him in the trash pile.

Got his buddy to get, . . . chewed a hole in my shed, . . . been in there messing things up, . . . his days are numbered too.

May God bless,
Dwight

Montana Rancher
03-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Good job, my friend.

Got me a coon the other day with a .22, . . . like you a head shot, . . . but instead of 40-50 yds, . . . mine was 4-5 inches.

Dang thing kept eating my momma cat's food, . . . ran her out of her heated sleeping box, . . . then growled at me when I chased him out.

Dummy came back the next night for the salmon bait, . . . trapped him, . . . pitched him in the trash pile.

Got his buddy to get, . . . chewed a hole in my shed, . . . been in there messing things up, . . . his days are numbered too.

May God bless,
Dwight

Haha!
You haven't lived until you have been growled at by a Racoon!

The more memorable sound is being huffed at by a grizzley bear.

Shoot every one of them!

Dwight55
03-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Haha!
You haven't lived until you have been growled at by a Racoon!

The more memorable sound is being huffed at by a grizzley bear.

Shoot every one of them!

Ain't never been huffed at by a grizzly, . . . but my RTO got chased out of camp one summer by a black bear, . . . he ran till he couldn't run no more, . . . dropped the prick 25, . . . shinneyed up a tree he figured she wouldn't climb.

He was right, . . . but she kept him up there till almost midnite, . . . he slipped down, . . . grabbed the radio, . . . went back up in the tree, . . . started making calls, . . . finally got our sister company, . . . they went out and picked him up.

Me and a half dozen volunteers wandered out into the bush looking for him earlier in the evening, . . . we had M16's but only blank ammo.

We heard several grunts, . . . coughs, . . . huffs, . . . almost as though they were sorta saying, . . . "Thass close enough", . . . and we followed suit.

We didn't even know he wasn't there until we did head count later that afternoon, . . . the other platoon thought it was a joke earlier when he was running and trying to raise someone on the radio, . . . they heard him but didn't believe him.

BUT, . . . have to admit it was scary out there, . . . be surprised how that will help your prayer life.

May God bless,
Dwight

Montana Rancher
04-01-2015, 02:44 AM
Ain't never been huffed at by a grizzly, . . . but my RTO got chased out of camp one summer by a black bear, . . . he ran till he couldn't run no more, . . . dropped the prick 25, . . . shinneyed up a tree he figured she wouldn't climb.

He was right, . . . but she kept him up there till almost midnite, . . . he slipped down, . . . grabbed the radio, . . . went back up in the tree, . . . started making calls, . . . finally got our sister company, . . . they went out and picked him up.

Me and a half dozen volunteers wandered out into the bush looking for him earlier in the evening, . . . we had M16's but only blank ammo.

We heard several grunts, . . . coughs, . . . huffs, . . . almost as though they were sorta saying, . . . "Thass close enough", . . . and we followed suit.

We didn't even know he wasn't there until we did head count later that afternoon, . . . the other platoon thought it was a joke earlier when he was running and trying to raise someone on the radio, . . . they heard him but didn't believe him.

BUT, . . . have to admit it was scary out there, . . . be surprised how that will help your prayer life.

May God bless,
Dwight

Haha great story.

I guess it was better as I was not only an RTO but I knew what it ment, and in boot I carried a Prk25 on our first 25 mile hike.

Thanks for the memory lane.

Dwight55
04-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Hey, Montana, . . . RTO, huh?

I think if I had been in a situation where someone would have handed that thing to me, . . . I'd a been right real happy to go see if I couldn't exchange toys with the local M-60 gunner.

On the bright side, though, . . . my last RTO turned out to be a very good lawyer, . . . and now a judge.

May God bless,
Dwight

Montana Rancher
04-04-2015, 12:44 AM

This was taken by a army photographer in black and white in the field about a billion years ago, I was the RTO in a field artillery battery, FDC.

The picture was in our "track" which was a M577, back in those days we mostly did field artillery using charts with 1 meter protractors and pins.

We got into computers in my later years, but that was after this pic.