PDA

View Full Version : The Best Food For you BOB, GHB, of just behind the seat

Montana Rancher
03-19-2015, 01:18 AM
Here is what I have in my fanny pack / Get home bag for food. Although I plan on being home within a couple hours there is a chance I will be stranded so here is my suggestion.

http://www.quakekare.com/3600-calorie-emergency-food-bar-p-19.html

I actually carry the 2400 calorie bar but the company and the idea is the same, you can actually get a meal that has a 5 year shelf life and 8 oz of the product is a days ration.

It is also "low thirst" so you don't need a low of water to wash it down.

IMO the best ration for survival situations.

Oh and unless I forgot to mention, the 3600 calorie bar which is good for 4 days is about $4.00

I realize if you are humping ammo or digging graves you will probably need more calories, but anyway you slice it these are a super deal in cost and volume.

What do you carry?

Laufen
03-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Kind Bars.

No crap ingredients, lightweight per calorie, and they taste great.

http://www.amazon.com/KIND-Spices-Chocolate-Ounce-Count/dp/B007PE7ANY

Jerry D Young
03-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Plain jerky (buffalo when I can find and afford it) for protein
Gorp (my recipe: ~16 oz premium mixed nuts, ~16 oz plain M&Ms, ~8 oz diced dates) for fat, protein, and sugar
Millennium Ration bars (400 calorie) for the basic nutrition
Horlick's Malt tablets to maintain energy through the day
Butterscotch disks & root beer barrels hard candy for quick energy and to keep my mouth moist
Tootsie rolls (not the Midgies - the ones about 2x - 3x bigger) for energy boost and comfort
Chicklets gum (the 2-packs) to keep my mouth moist
Tea bags (Bigelow Earl Grey) as a warm up drink in the morning and for comfort
Hot chocolate packets as a warm up drink in the evening and for comfort
Beef bouillon cubes for the salt and to flavor wild game in soups

In cold weather, I throw in a few bars of pemmican for the extra fat and protein

Just my opinion.

RWalls
03-19-2015, 07:34 PM
In cold weather, I throw in a few bars of pemmican for the extra fat and protein

Just my opinion.

Are you making your own? If so I would love to see a recipe.

Coppertop
03-19-2015, 07:41 PM
+ 1 on the recipe

Deebo
03-19-2015, 07:44 PM
I have the ER bar listed above. I did open one, for a day long trial. They taste kinda like a teething boscuit.
I pretty sure it was on MR's recommendation that I picked them up.

Jerry D Young
03-19-2015, 07:44 PM
When I make it myself (it has been a long time) I get suet from the butcher, and make my own very plain, dry jerky. I make a high quality jerky using a premium buffalo or beef roast, adding only just a tiny bit of salt and dry it to the just breaking strands when bent very dry stage. Equal amounts of the jerky pounded or powdered in a blender and the melted suet. I used sausage casings to store it in back then.

Now I have a good stock of commercial pemmican I keep frozen for use when needed: http://grasslandbeef.com/beef-pemmican-honeycherry-free-bar (I still have a supply of the old 2.2 ounce flat bars)

And for those that might be interested in the Horlick's malt tablets:
http://www.spiced.com/SPICED/SKU/horlicks/horlicks.html
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/exhibits/horlicks/page3.asp
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equipment-field-gear/british-horlicks-tablets-ration-tin-20138/

Just my opinion.

Inor
03-20-2015, 01:44 AM
I keep about a dozen of the energy bars Montana Rancher listed above. (I think Mrs Inor may have even bought them on his recommendation.) Plus, I keep two Mountain House meals (for 4 people) in my GHB. I only care about three things in a get home now situation: calories, protein and carbohydrates. I want fast energy since it is only intended to be a short-term solution. In that situation, I do not even care about having enough energy to dig graves. If I am living out of my GHB, I figure let the bastards rot where they fall.

TJC44
03-20-2015, 07:31 PM
My approach is a bit more random, but the intention is 1. lightweight, 2 simple, 3 nutrition
It includes beef jerky (store brand works for me)
Instant oatmeal. Just add water.
Instant coffee. Necter of the Gods

TJC

Montana Rancher
03-24-2015, 01:00 AM
When I make it myself (it has been a long time) I get suet from the butcher, and make my own very plain, dry jerky. I make a high quality jerky using a premium buffalo or beef roast, adding only just a tiny bit of salt and dry it to the just breaking strands when bent very dry stage. Equal amounts of the jerky pounded or powdered in a blender and the melted suet. I used sausage casings to store it in back then.

Now I have a good stock of commercial pemmican I keep frozen for use when needed: http://grasslandbeef.com/beef-pemmican-honeycherry-free-bar (I still have a supply of the old 2.2 ounce flat bars)

And for those that might be interested in the Horlick's malt tablets:
http://www.spiced.com/SPICED/SKU/horlicks/horlicks.html
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/exhibits/horlicks/page3.asp
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equipment-field-gear/british-horlicks-tablets-ration-tin-20138/

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the links, I make a Pemmican mix of my own but it includes local Huckle Berries, Lard, Elk Jerky and Crested Rye Grass (local native grass). It really isn't that good but better than starving, maybe I need to work the recipie harder. I'm glad to see your's used berries too.

Good post.

Montana Rancher
03-24-2015, 01:03 AM
My approach is a bit more random, but the intention is 1. lightweight, 2 simple, 3 nutrition
It includes beef jerky (store brand works for me)
Instant oatmeal. Just add water.
Instant coffee. Necter of the Gods

TJC

A poor choice for a bug out or get home bag, seriously?

Your total intake caloric intake is about pathetic and the shelf life is worse.

hawgrider
03-24-2015, 06:48 AM
A poor choice for a bug out or get home bag, seriously?

Your total intake caloric intake is about pathetic and the shelf life is worse.On to attack the next person I see since I won't let you post to my threads.

Maybe you should consider that you don't know what TJC conditions are. Like how far he is from home or shelter from his daily routine? Maybe he doesn't need those cute little energy bars? Maybe he just likes beef jerky? Maybe he is gluten intolerant and cant eat that energy bar crap. Its his choice why do you have to be such a dick to everyone except Pauls? Your ego is bigger than your brain and your people skills are over the top . Do even have any friends that don't want to pound your head into the ground?

Laufen
03-24-2015, 07:51 AM
On to attack the next person I see since I won't let you post to my threads.

Maybe you should consider that you don't know what TJC conditions are. Like how far he is from home or shelter from his daily routine? Maybe he doesn't need those cute little energy bars? Maybe he just likes beef jerky? Maybe he is gluten intolerant and cant eat that energy bar crap. Its his choice why do you have to be such a dick to everyone except Pauls? Your ego is bigger than your brain and your people skills are over the top . Do even have any friends that don't want to pound your head into the ground?

He's right. Store bought jerky? Jeez, the idea is to maintain nutrition and avoid dietary issues. That stuff is terrible, and barely digestible.

hawgrider
03-24-2015, 07:59 AM
He's right. Store bought jerky? Jeez, the idea is to maintain nutrition and avoid dietary issues. That stuff is terrible, and barely digestible.Who cares its his choice. Not yours not anybody's but his. If its works for them and they are happy then great . No skin off my back. Why is the skin on your back or the ranch hands affected by it? Maybe they only have a 1 hour walk from any given point from where they travel. Oatmeal and jerky and a cup of coffee won't tie him over? You experts crack me up.

Laufen
03-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Who cares its his choice. Not yours not anybody's but his. If its works for them and they are happy then great . No skin off my back. Why is the skin on your back or the ranch hands affected by it? Maybe they only have a 1 hour walk from any given point from where they travel. Oatmeal and jerky and a cup of coffee won't tie him over? You experts crack me up.

He posted it up, so it's fair game. I'm not losing any sleep over it, but I'll reply if I wish.

"tide him over", not "tie". Unless of course he's using the jerky as cordage in his bondage room.

hawgrider
03-24-2015, 08:04 AM
He posted it up, so it's fair game. I'm not losing any sleep over it, but I'll reply if I wish.

"tide him over", not "tie". Unless of course he's using the jerky as cordage in his bondage room. I said tie you over ..... don't like it too bad.

Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie

Laufen
03-24-2015, 08:15 AM
I said tie you over ..... don't like it too bad.

Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie
Tie

Like I said, it's a reflection on you, it's nothing to me.

hawgrider
03-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Like I said, it's a reflection on you, it's nothing to me.If you say so it must be true.

MI.oldguy
03-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Some clif bars in mine.some water also,when it wont freeze here.don't go far,don't have to.when I go to Green Bay Wis. for annual,handgun,couple mags,water,snacks.
along with my other goodies in GHB.

Baglady
03-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Plain jerky (buffalo when I can find and afford it) for protein
Gorp (my recipe: ~16 oz premium mixed nuts, ~16 oz plain M&Ms, ~8 oz diced dates) for fat, protein, and sugar
Millennium Ration bars (400 calorie) for the basic nutrition
Horlick's Malt tablets to maintain energy through the day
Butterscotch disks & root beer barrels hard candy for quick energy and to keep my mouth moist
Tootsie rolls (not the Midgies - the ones about 2x - 3x bigger) for energy boost and comfort
Chicklets gum (the 2-packs) to keep my mouth moist
Tea bags (Bigelow Earl Grey) as a warm up drink in the morning and for comfort
Hot chocolate packets as a warm up drink in the evening and for comfort
Beef bouillon cubes for the salt and to flavor wild game in soups

Just my opinion.
The best jerky I ever made was with Buffalo Meat! At that time, about 8-10 yrs(?) ago, it was $8 lb.

Montana Rancher
03-28-2015, 10:41 PM
On to attack the next person I see since I won't let you post to my threads.

Good Post, makes my point about you without saying a word.

Also since it is the topic, jerky sucks in you get home bag, tell your friends.

hawgrider
03-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Good Post, makes my point about you without saying a word.

Also since it is the topic, jerky sucks in you get home bag, tell your friends.Its a truthful post. Glad you liked it.:callme:

Arklatex
03-29-2015, 09:58 AM
I have 3 mountain house meals, several clif bars, a 16 ounce water bottle of homemade trail mix, a couple foil pouches of tuna, a package of store bought jerky and some hard candy. I also keep a handful of those little drink flavoring powders to cover up the taste of filtered and purified water I may have to resort to on the way home. My walk would be about 35 miles so that is more than enough but you never know what could delay you. I also keep a small fishing kit since I have 2 river crossings. I do change out the contents, it's a never ending thing with me. As I use the bag on practice runs the entire contents of the bag have changed multiple times as I learn what works and what I need/don't need.

One thing I have learned to do is mark the expiration date of all perishable content on my calendar. That makes it easier to keep my food and medicine rotated and fresh.

hawgrider
03-29-2015, 10:54 AM
I have 3 mountain house meals, several clif bars, a 16 ounce water bottle of homemade trail mix, a couple foil pouches of tuna, a package of store bought jerky and some hard candy. I also keep a handful of those little drink flavoring powders to cover up the taste of filtered and purified water I may have to resort to on the way home. My walk would be about 35 miles so that is more than enough but you never know what could delay you. I also keep a small fishing kit since I have 2 river crossings. I do change out the contents, it's a never ending thing with me. As I use the bag on practice runs the entire contents of the bag have changed multiple times as I learn what works and what I need/don't need.

One thing I have learned to do is mark the expiration date of all perishable content on my calendar. That makes it easier to keep my food and medicine rotated and fresh.
I really like the mountain house meals. The beef stew is one of my favorites. We catch em on sale at wally world. I use them in my heated deer blind.:biglaugh: Makes for living high on the hog on a all day hunt.

Innkeeper
03-30-2015, 09:49 AM
I have an MRE and a Mountain House meal, some Quaker bars, some hard candy and gum, I enjoy the distraction while walking, (just like patrols in country). I always carry so My pistol and a spare mag are on me, I do have an extra box of ammo for it as well as a 22 pistol and 200 rounds in my bag, and an extra knife. Several bottles of water and a water filter, though I do sometimes run a water bladder instead depends how I have swapped around my kit.