PDA

View Full Version : Bees

justlooking
03-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Does anyone here raise bees?

Arklatex
03-22-2015, 10:22 PM
I don't raise them but there is a big ass hive out yonder and they seem to come back ever year. Wasps too. I don't mess with them since they are fantastic pollinators. I buy my honey from a local that raises them. 10 bucks a quart jar.

justlooking
03-22-2015, 10:24 PM
I keep telling innkeeper that something sweet will be good for bartering is the shtf.

Would love to try my hand at bees. And found grants for beekeepers. Might apply for one.

Inor
03-22-2015, 10:26 PM
I keep telling innkeeper that something sweet will be good for bartering is the shtf.

Would love to try my hand at bees. And found grants for beekeepers. Might apply for one.

You and Mrs Inor... She is planning on chickens, bees and goats if we ever get to AZ. I keep suggesting we should just stick with a pig and a cow. In the end, I expect we will have bees chickens and goats.

justlooking
03-22-2015, 10:29 PM
You and Mrs Inor... She is planning on chickens, bees and goats if we ever get to AZ. I keep suggesting we should just stick with a pig and a cow. In the end, I expect we will have bees chickens and goats.
I knew I loved that woman!!

I had the exact same list as her!!

Have had the chickens and goats. Just need bees

OSFG
03-23-2015, 12:00 AM
I keep yelling for more A's the kids keep getting C's ...B's are the middle ground so I;m ok.....ow...damn. bees.
Beees

RWalls
03-25-2015, 12:03 PM
I keep them, don't really raise them, they don't need me, I just steal from them.

justlooking
03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
I keep them, don't really raise them, they don't need me, I just steal from them.
That's all I really want to do.

Innkeeper
03-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Oh I am sure we will end up with bees sooner or later , but I am really not very keen on the goats. meh

justlooking
03-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Oh I am sure we will end up with bees sooner or later , but I am really not very keen on the goats. meh
But I love goats.

Innkeeper
03-26-2015, 10:03 AM
And I like llamas......

Inor
03-26-2015, 10:06 AM
And I like llamas......

Llamas are probably pretty safe. But stay away from alpacas! Their heads pop off when you rope them. Plus they are crazy expensive and their value decreases significantly without a head.

hawgrider
03-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Llamas are probably pretty safe. But stay away from alpacas! Their heads pop off when you rope them. Plus they are crazy expensive and their value decreases significantly without a head.
OK thats funny:bounce:

Innkeeper
03-26-2015, 10:14 AM

I want llamas for the wool and they make great pack animals.

JL wants to know if a goats value decreases without a head or if it remains the same?

Inor
03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
JL wants to know if a goats value decreases without a head or if it remains the same?

From my perspective, it remains the same since they have no value to me to begin with... :biglaugh:

justlooking
03-26-2015, 10:58 AM
I want llamas for the wool and they make great pack animals.

Yup and if we get llamas I know my place

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/26/240b4be495107cb98f1b76782bac4aef.jpg

I had the clothing for that just a few years ago. Pretty sure I pitched them all

But hey I can whip out the sewing machine and make an outfit just like the one in the pic

Innkeeper
03-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Yup and if we get llamas I know my place

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/26/240b4be495107cb98f1b76782bac4aef.jpg

I had the clothing for that just a few years ago. Pretty sure I pitched them all

But hey I can whip out the sewing machine and make an outfit just like the one in the pic

Not a word was said at any point about you doing that missy. And if you make those clothes you can have the spare bedroom.

justlooking
03-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Not a word was said at any point about you doing that missy. And if you make those clothes you can have the spare bedroom.
But I am smoking hot in an apron

Innkeeper
03-26-2015, 11:12 AM
But I am smoking hot in an apron

I am sure, especially just the apron, but I still prefer you not in that outfit.

Pauls
03-27-2015, 12:19 AM
What a good little woman. She doesn't even contest her rightful place. (at this point my wife says, "beside you my dear") that is her cute little way of telling me that "Sir" is stepping out of bounds. She is so cute!

justlooking
03-27-2015, 07:46 AM
What a good little woman. She doesn't even contest her rightful place. (at this point my wife says, "beside you my dear") that is her cute little way of telling me that "Sir" is stepping out of bounds. She is so cute!
Goodness he hates when I call him sir

And I do know my place

Montana Rancher
07-17-2015, 11:17 PM
I tried bees for a year, in the fall the bears came down and cleaned them out. Haven't messed with them since, but have been thinking of a stone covering and will possibly try it again

Dwight55
07-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Bees are not that hard to take care of, . . . there are a few things that make all the world of difference in whether or not, . . . or how much, . . . honey you get.

I've only "fiddled" with it, . . . never got serious, . . . got one hive.

I truly enjoy just sitting and watching the little boogers come and go, . . . and they respect the guy who keeps the weeds away from their place. I can go over and sit down right next to the hive, . . . they just kinda act like "hey, . . . the mower just showed up, . . . every one smile for him".

One year I got about 10 qts of honey off three hives, . . . two of them died out, . . . so I only have one now.

If you are going to try it, . . . make sure you get stung two or three times to find out if you have any propensity for allergic reaction. If you do, . . . better leave them alone. You can make a mistake, . . . and get a bunch of stings, . . . with any allergy, . . . you could be dead in 5 minutes.

I have a niece who is seriously deathly allergic to them. She does not come to my house.

May God bless,
Dwight

RWalls
07-21-2015, 06:42 AM
I tried bees for a year, in the fall the bears came down and cleaned them out. Haven't messed with them since, but have been thinking of a stone covering and will possibly try it again

Same with my bees.