PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to ...

Baglady
03-26-2015, 07:28 PM
I don't want a dark camp, but, I would like to have a low key fire, for heat and cooking a meal.
So, what is the best way to have a fire, but one that can't be seen from a distance at night.
And, is there a way to make the fire with little smoke?

Jerry D Young
03-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Dakota Fire Pit, using very dry hardwood

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=dakota+fire+pit&fr=ymyy-t-999&fr2=p%3Amy%2Cm%3Asb

Just my opinion.

OSFG
03-26-2015, 08:11 PM

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=dakota+fire+pit&fr=ymyy-t-999&fr2=p%3Amy%2Cm%3Asb

Just my opinion.

absolutely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlPSEfcz718

Sparkyprep
03-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Just my opinion.
Agreed

Inor
03-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Just my opinion.

I agree, it looks like we have a consensus.

Pauls
03-26-2015, 11:47 PM
Small fires using small pieces of dry wood either in a pit or in a container. The Dakota fire pit is a good way to cook without it being visible. You can't get away from the smell of burning wood but with a small, hot, fire you can minimize it.

If you need a fire to stay warm in very cold weather you dig a trench and burn a fire during the day and then bury the coals and sleep on top of it. That will keep you snuggly for many hours. If you find a cave, unoccupied of course, then build a small fire as far back as you can and cook inside the cave. Once dinner is done exit the cave and find a place where you can evade and escape if necessary. I like trees, sleeping in them. It is surprising that most hikers and campers don't look up when they are walking. Get yourself into the branches and then tie yourself in. It's like rocking in a cradle. Less bugs, no snakes, and no mice. Just a good nights sleep in the arms of mother nature.

Baglady
03-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Great idea! Thanks guys. I will try this next time we camp.

Jerry D Young
03-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Since the OP specified a low key fire in a camp, I suggested the Dakota fire pit. However, this is not always possible, depending on terrain, conditions, and timing.

One of the things that I do, actually more often than using the Dakota Fire Pit, is to stop relatively early, while still light, usually near a water source. I get my water replenished, purifying if needed and time permits, and do any open fire work I need to, such as cooking a meal, making hot drinks, etc. Then I douse and cover the fire, and move on to where my actual night camp will be, early enough to set up the camp in daylight, and do a dark/dry camp simply for sleeping, away from the trail and anything else likely to bring people close to the area. This way I get the benefits of using water sources, firewood sources, having a fire, getting hot meals/drinks, and still have a dark camp.

Just my further opinion.

Baglady
03-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Small fires using small pieces of dry wood either in a pit or in a container. The Dakota fire pit is a good way to cook without it being visible. You can't get away from the smell of burning wood but with a small, hot, fire you can minimize it.

If you need a fire to stay warm in very cold weather you dig a trench and burn a fire during the day and then bury the coals and sleep on top of it. That will keep you snuggly for many hours. If you find a cave, unoccupied of course, then build a small fire as far back as you can and cook inside the cave. Once dinner is done exit the cave and find a place where you can evade and escape if necessary. I like trees, sleeping in them. It is surprising that most hikers and campers don't look up when they are walking. Get yourself into the branches and then tie yourself in. It's like rocking in a cradle. Less bugs, no snakes, and no mice. Just a good nights sleep in the arms of mother nature.I love these sleeping idea's, Paul. Thanks!

Inor
03-27-2015, 09:34 PM
If you have a rocket stove, that works pretty well too. We have a Silverfire rocket stove and I am surprised at how quickly it will bring water to a boil even in sub-zero temps. Also, because of the nature of it, the only time there is any smoke is when it is first warming up before it goes "rocket". Once it goes "rocket" there is complete combustion of the wood and no smoke and very little smell, even in the winter.

The down side is, it is a fairly bulky thing. It weighs about 8 pounds and is about the size of a 2 gallon bucket. I certainly would not want to carry it on my back all day.

Txwheels
03-28-2015, 07:21 AM
For a fire to be unseen I agree with all above. And remember, the light of a candle flame can actually be seen from up to 10 miles away.

Arklatex
03-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Backpacking stove and a good sleeping bag.

Sarge7402
03-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Might want to try this>>>>>>>>> http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/2014/08/09/13587360/

Watch the video

Pauls
03-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Well, I couldn't watch the video - it never did play.
The story was pretty graphic and rightfully so when 1000 psi, 36" gas line is ruptured with a steel auger that weights 2000 pounds and throws it over a hundred yards.

OSFG
03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Well, I couldn't watch the video - it never did play.
The story was pretty graphic and rightfully so when 1000 psi, 36" gas line is ruptured with a steel auger that weights 2000 pounds and throws it over a hundred yards.

IS THAT a napalm reference????

OSFG
03-28-2015, 08:17 PM
so the unknown thought is if something explodes its 1) your fault...and 2) world ending.....

OSFG
03-28-2015, 08:20 PM
maybe igts just an explosion...and they happen....how many people died? as compared to the 100,000 that died in the earth quakes in Pakistan,

OSFG
03-28-2015, 08:22 PM
yes I said it it.... 1 mike brown dies and people rage. but 100,000 die in pakistan and these ****ers say nothing.

Montana Rancher
03-28-2015, 10:53 PM

Just my opinion.

Since the OP specified a low key fire in a camp, I suggested the Dakota fire pit. However, this is not always possible, depending on terrain, conditions, and timing.

One of the things that I do, actually more often than using the Dakota Fire Pit, is to stop relatively early, while still light, usually near a water source. I get my water replenished, purifying if needed and time permits, and do any open fire work I need to, such as cooking a meal, making hot drinks, etc. Then I douse and cover the fire, and move on to where my actual night camp will be, early enough to set up the camp in daylight, and do a dark/dry camp simply for sleeping, away from the trail and anything else likely to bring people close to the area. This way I get the benefits of using water sources, firewood sources, having a fire, getting hot meals/drinks, and still have a dark camp.

Just my further opinion.

The Perfect answer IF you have time to camp early. My only thought was to build the fire big where you were, and then overwatch it, an easy way to find enemies.

hawgrider
03-29-2015, 07:41 AM
The Perfect answer IF you have time to camp early. My only thought was to build the fire big where you were, and then overwatch it, an easy way to find enemies.Brilliant.....
draw the enemy to you with a big fire. What are you Rambo? Nice fantasy:biglaugh::rip:

Baglady
03-30-2015, 11:23 PM

Just my further opinion.That's "food for thought". Good to know in a need be situation. Thanks.