PDA

View Full Version : 22 ton huskee (tractor supply) log splitter

RWalls
04-06-2015, 07:11 AM
OMG! What a piece of crap!

Spent all day yesterday trying to get this terd to start. It has very few hours on it. Rec 90 fuel treated with pre-g in it. Pulled the damn cord at least 200 times, fired off once and ran 10 seconds.

This one have a kohler 6.5hp Honda gx200 clone on it.

Did a lot of reading on other sites, apparently this is a common problem. I ordered a factory Honda carb and will swap it to see if this fixes it. If not, back to TSC.

Do yourself a favor, BUY SOMETHING WITH A HONDA ON IT!!

http://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store/huskeereg%3B-22-ton-log-splitter-carb-compliant

Slippy
04-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Thanks RWalls,
I've been looking at the Tractor Supply log splitters for a while now and will expand my search. So far my old log splitters (Son1 and Son2) have been working OK but they are becoming less and less reliable since they moved out of the house a few years ago! :)

Arklatex
04-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Watch out for Briggs too. They used to be the best for small engine. Now they have gone to crap, compared to what they used to be. My riding mower has a Kohler on it and I haven't had any issues out of it yet. But it's only 2 years old.

Baglady
04-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Or, you can build one like ours, to run off the PTO of your tractor.

RWalls
04-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Or, you can build one like ours, to run off the PTO of your tractor.

I was thinking about that route. The only thing that stopped me was the hours on the tractor I would get.

Baglady
04-06-2015, 10:45 PM
I was thinking about that route. The only thing that stopped me was the hours on the tractor I would get.IDK. My Husband can split a cord in an hour/hour and a half. We use 4 cords a year. So, about 4 gallons of gas, and 4-8 hours to split. Thats a 706 International. Might depend on the size of your tractor...(?)
I don't know much about tractors.1370

RWalls
04-08-2015, 06:44 PM
I broke down and bought a Honda GX200, put it on last night. I will try it out this weekend.

Sparkyprep
04-08-2015, 06:49 PM
I had terrible experiences with multiple hydraulic log splitters, until I bought one that ran off of the PTO of my tractor. I will never go back. I can now split wood like a mad-man, in record time. It is the only way to go.

Baglady
04-08-2015, 09:48 PM
I had terrible experiences with multiple hydraulic log splitters, until I bought one that ran off of the PTO of my tractor. I will never go back. I can now split wood like a mad-man, in record time. It is the only way to go.I agree. I help out some with the splitting and stacking. The first year, we had about 6 neighbors stop by and watch it in action.

Infidel
04-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Watch out for Briggs too. They used to be the best for small engine. Now they have gone to crap, compared to what they used to be. My riding mower has a Kohler on it and I haven't had any issues out of it yet. But it's only 2 years old.

I've had 2 riding mowers with B&S engines, both lasted about 3 years or so and then puked. First one had something wrong with the crank, engine wouldn't turn past TDC when you tried to start it. Required a rebuild which was not cost effective. Gave it to a buddy that needed a new deck for his. Second one self destructed when the connecting rod let go. Ended up selling the body and deck off for a little more than scrap value. I'll never own another Briggs & Stratton engine. Those Honda engines are pretty nice, quiet too.

-Infidel