PDA

View Full Version : Pet Emergencies: How to Prepare

hawgrider
04-07-2015, 06:38 AM
For many of us, our pets are like our kids. We wouldn’t dream of leaving our pets behind when SHTF.

But even day to day life can be dangerous for our pets. Sometimes they eat things they aren’t supposed to or get into situations that can get them in injured. If such a thing happened to your beloved pet, would you know what to do?

The Pet First Aid Kit

The items below are suggestions for a pet first aid kit. As you read through this list, you will see that many of these items can perform double duty as first aid in your human first aid kit as well. I leave it up to you to decide whether you want to create one kit – for you and your pets – or separate kits for each of you. Note that you will find links to many of these items in the bargain bin.

http://survivallife.com/2015/04/07/pet-emergency-how-to-prepare/

Arklatex
04-07-2015, 08:03 AM
That's a great read. I admit I'm lacking a little here. I have a 5 gallon dog bucket. It has leashes, collars with tags, some food and treats, flea meds, collapsible food bowls, a few bottles of water and wound spray. That way if we have to evacuate or bug out I will have something for the dogs. I should probably add in copies of their vet records.

Needs work but it's a start. I also have an app that is a pet first aid guide. I know yall hate smartphones, but it is what it is. It tells you all the stuff in the link above for both dogs and cats. It also stores your vet contact and pet records.

James m
04-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Pet CPR might be good to know. The limit on my knowledge is their chest expands and contracts left to right. Laid on their side and not on the back. I also assume you have to control the lips so air goes in. My ex did CPR on a beagle that got hit in the road, he didn't make it. Would be good to know.

Also pet backpacks, the dog can carry some of his own gear.

Innkeeper
04-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Hey would not want to do without my dogs...unless it was the zombie apocalypse, sometimes she does not know when not to bark.

Slippy
04-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Hey would not want to do without my dogs...unless it was the zombie apocalypse, sometimes she does not know when not to bark.

I know what you mean Innkeeper. That's why I dedicated some serious training time to creating the "Silent but Deadly Killing Machine" known as "The Beaz"

Zombies beware...

hawgrider
04-07-2015, 12:06 PM
I know what you mean Innkeeper. That's why I dedicated some serious training time to creating the "Silent but Deadly Killing Machine" known as "The Beaz"

Zombies beware...
1371Hahaha Great picture!

Inor
04-07-2015, 12:12 PM

Zombies beware...

That is a GREAT photo of Beaz-o-matic, the ninja herder! :yourock:

Innkeeper
04-09-2015, 06:48 AM

Zombies beware...

Love the Dog Slippy JL wants to know what breed?

James m
04-09-2015, 08:12 AM
I always laugh at that dog picture. :/

Coppertop
04-09-2015, 09:18 AM
JL- Looks like a red heeler to me.

justlooking
04-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Good thing my dog behaves

Arklatex
04-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Australian Shepherd. Good working breed but needs a job or they get wild and hyper.

justlooking
04-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Australian Shepherd. Good working breed but needs a job or they get wild and hyper.
Only dog our family had. Loved that girl.

Slippy
04-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Arklatex was close, Beasley is an Australian Cattle Dog, also known as a Red Heeler (or Blue Heeler depending on the color). Great breed.

1380The Beaz likes good bourbon after a hard days work...