PDA

View Full Version : Knife Sharpening

GeneC
02-17-2014, 10:23 AM
I want to share a real easy way to sharpen. I've tried many different ways in the last 30 yrs, including stones and Lansky ,etc. I'm not one who can maintain the angle on a stone, nor have the patience nor have different stones laying around. I found this from my other passion, DE and straight razors( I shave with a brush and soap and a DE razor every day), from sharpening straight razors. This also works real good for knife. I can get razors sharp and knives razor sharp,,,lol

First I got a piece of Granite or Marble 1/2x4X12" . Then cut sandpaper( 400, 800, 1200, 1500grit) in 4" strips. Final item is a Minosharp sharpening guide rails( that fit on the back of the blade and holds the correct angle).

Secure the paper to the slab with rubber bands on the ends. Put the guide on the blade, wet the sandpaper( with a spray bottle), lay the blade on it and briskly rub the blade back and forth 10-20 time. Change to a smaller grit. By the time you get to 1500 that blade is sharp. Takes a few minutes.

RWalls
02-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Damn that sounds like a great idea! My knife won't cut warm butter, I will try it today.

GeneC
02-17-2014, 01:31 PM

BugMan
02-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Nice. Seems like a pretty inexpensive setup. Also seems pretty foolproof. I generally can take a dull knife and make it duller.

GeneC
02-24-2014, 08:36 AM
yes, the marble I got from Home Depot for less than $10, sandpaper was around $10. The guide was about $10. So for about $30 bucks, you've got a fool proo , quick way to get razor sharp blades and it's mobile.

rice paddy daddy
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM
I might have to give that a try. I've never been able to hold a steady angle either. I wore out one Lansky and bought another, but now i'm at that age and stage the Lansky is a pain in the wazoo.
I bought one of those small $3.99 double sided deals that you stand on one end and draw the blade thru the carbide, then flip it over and draw the blade thru the ceramic hone. The resulting edge is sharp, but not very even. It's good for a working pocket knife, not so good for a nice kitchen knife.
I've even got a hunk of marble like that from a job site - it was a window sill that got broken and had to be thrown out.