PDA

View Full Version : Hertz Rental Cars

Inor
05-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Normally when I travel, I used National or Enterprise for my rental cars. For some reason this week, my travel gal Cindy booked my car through Hertz. Driving into work this morning, I noticed they had installed a camera in the car to watch me. I had always assumed they would track the car. But having a camera watching me is too invasive. So I taped a piece of paper over the lens. I am guessing it might have a microphone in the car too.

Anyway, if you value your privacy, do not rent from Hertz. I know National does not have cameras or microphones in their cars (yet).

Edit: This evening I will be looking over their NeverLost device to see if I can find the fuse for it to disable it.

Txwheels
05-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Hertz is off my list!

hawgrider
05-05-2015, 11:37 AM
So this means I can't immediately leave their lot and go 4 wheeling anymore.... Damn it! Assholes take the fun out of everything.

How bout they concentrate on vacuuming out the pot seeds from the previous user so some innocent sap doesn't get a cavity search at the Canadian border...
Yep happened to someone I know. They got the fingers on both sides once entering Canada and once coming back to the states.

MI.oldguy
05-05-2015, 01:41 PM
And I bitched about getting a subaru outback instead of a chev malibu.

1moretoy
05-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Normally when I travel, I used National or Enterprise for my rental cars. For some reason this week, my travel gal Cindy booked my car through Hertz. Driving into work this morning, I noticed they had installed a camera in the car to watch me. I had always assumed they would track the car. But having a camera watching me is too invasive. So I taped a piece of paper over the lens. I am guessing it might have a microphone in the car too.

Anyway, if you value your privacy, do not rent from Hertz. I know National does not have cameras or microphones in their cars (yet).

Edit: This evening I will be looking over their NeverLost device to see if I can find the fuse for it to disable it.

So they never told you they would be secretly taping you?

Innkeeper
05-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Have to say I will never use their cars now.

James m
05-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Sorry but what do they do when the teenagers rent cars for prom season?

Or anything else you do in a car, pick your nose, argue with the wife about prom season....

Reptilicus
05-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the 'heads up" Inor!! I very seldom have use of a rental, but if I ever do again, it won't be Hertz!!

Sparkyprep
05-05-2015, 08:26 PM
I have never rented a car, but if I ever do, it won't be from Hertz. Thanks Inor

Slippy
05-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Damnit, I have used Hertz a lot and I've never noticed the camera. Rest assured if I do see a camera, I will drop my pants and shove my big hairy ass right up against the lens. Whatever pervert is monitoring the film footage is in for a big ole shot of Slippy ass.

Drive it like a rental car!

Inor
05-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Damnit, I have used Hertz a lot and I've never noticed the camera. Rest assured if I do see a camera, I will drop my pants and shove my big hairy ass right up against the lens. Whatever pervert is monitoring the film footage is in for a big ole shot of Slippy ass.

Drive it like a rental car!

It is on the top of the NeverLost unit. I wrapped the NeverLost unit with tinfoil that a burrito came in! That was after taping a post-it note over the camera. The navigation may or may not still work, but at least I doubt it can see me. :biglaugh:

http://elliott.org/blog/what-will-your-next-rental-car-know-about-you-everything/

NeverLost gets clever. Hertz is rolling out a new NeverLost navigation system later this year that will make KITT, that talking car from 1980s TV show Knight Rider, looks like a dummy. Every car will receive of the new consoles, which will let you video conference with a representative if you have questions about your rental or if you need to buy an upgrade. Yes, it still handles directions, but Hertz will charge you for that feature when you activate it.

Your car sees everything. New cars will have upgraded tracking technology that will go beyond following the exact GPS location of each vehicle. It will also allow the company to “see” the inside of each car and to remotely start and stop the vehicle. Hertz assured me it will only use the tech when a car has been stolen or after it’s been returned, not when you’re renting. But still, who knew that was even possible?

They know when you filled the tank, so don’t lie. Thanks to electronic fuel metering, every new vehicle can tell you exactly how much gas is in the tank, and whether it’s completely full. Hertz loses $50 million a year from renters who don’t return their cars on “F” and this would fix it once and for all. It would also eliminate the need to prove you filled up the tank by showing a receipt, which is a pet peeve for renters.