PDA

View Full Version : Survival Video: How to Set a Baited Spring Pole Snare Trap

hawgrider
05-13-2015, 05:20 AM
Traps can provide us with precious calories from meat and fat during a survival situation. Think of them as little hunters that you put out to do your work for you while you are off accomplishing other tasks. There are as many different traps as there are creatures to catch, but the trap in this video is called the “bait stick snare.”

It’s from a great little book called Bushcraft by Richard Graves. The book is recently back in print, and it’s worth adding to your survival library, if only for the traps. This bait-driven spring pole snare is my go-to trap for most small game animals and most occasions. To build this trap, you’ll need to find a strong, flexible sapling to serve as a spring pole, a forked stake to drive into the ground, a pencil-diameter toggle stick, a snare line, a toggle line, a bait stick, and some bait.

STEP 1
Find your spring pole, http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/survival-video-how-set-baited-spring-pole-snare-trap

Pauls
05-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Do you know how much spring the pole must have? You need about three times the weight of the animal to make it work properly.

Do you know how to make a trap that will catch a deer, elk or bear?
hint: they use the same kind of trap for crabs - just smaller.

TJC44
05-13-2015, 08:44 PM
I just had a visual of a crew from "Deadliest Catch" bringing in a crab pot - and there's a deer in it.

My twisted mind at work.

Pauls
05-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Just expand the size and the cone opening and you have a big game trap that is built on the game trail. You can catch whatever comes along.
In my limited use of this kind of "corral" trap you will want to make it at least three times as long as the animal is but limit the width as much as you can. I use spring poles that open easily as the animal goes in but if they try to back out it won't open and it pokes them to keep them from trying to get out that way. I learned very early on that you need a top - most animals can jump high enough that the top aids in confinement.

Arklatex
05-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Here's one I setup in late winter just to test if I could do it.

I used bank line, a leatherman wave and a sapling. It worked surprisingly well. I followed the instructions in the SAS guide.

BucketBack
05-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Do you know how much spring the pole must have? You need about three times the weight of the animal to make it work properly.

Do you know how to make a trap that will catch a deer, elk or bear?
hint: they use the same kind of trap for crabs - just smaller.
Yes I do,and I don't need to look it up on WikiPedia

I didn't know I could catch crabs in a hole in the ground. A hole yes

hawgrider
05-14-2015, 06:28 PM

I didn't know I could catch crabs in a hole in the ground. A hole yesA jar of blue ointment will take care of the crabs so they say.

Pauls
05-15-2015, 01:29 AM

I didn't know I could catch crabs in a hole in the ground. A hole yes

I wasn't referring to pit traps, they are non-discriminatory and can cause injury to things you aren't wanting. I don't even know if there is good information on Wikipedia about large game traps. I may have to take a look to see if it agrees with my limited experience.