PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of Southern Living

Baglady
05-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Corn and watermelons were planted last weekend.
Peach's and plums are already on the trees.

Inor
05-15-2015, 12:07 PM
You are a horrible woman for pointing that out! We have not even been able to plant our tomatoes outside yet due to the cold and rain. Maybe next weekend? (The damn things are going to be fully grown inside in pots if we do not get some warm weather pretty soon!)

James m
05-15-2015, 12:26 PM
It officially went down to 37 degrees the night before and we had to bring the tomatoes back inside. They are in 5 gallon buckets. The ones in cups are not growing.

Inor, you can always enjoy southern comfort even though you're not in the south. Its a state of mind.

hawgrider
05-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Yeah we had a frost warning last night. Stupid north! Radish and dill is all that's in at my house. But.... Screw it I'm putting the lettuce, maters and cukes in this weekend.

Arklatex
05-15-2015, 01:09 PM
I've been lazy about it this year. I tilled weeks ago and only planted radishes. Which I've already harvested. Also planted a few cherry tomatoes in pots. Need some beefsteak tomatoes for the ground. I should have already planted cucumber, onion sets and squash. Plums are looking alright and we've had a lot of rain so the pecans should be heavy this year.

hawgrider
05-15-2015, 01:10 PM
I've been lazy about it this year. I tilled weeks ago and only planted radishes. Which I've already harvested. Also planted a few cherry tomatoes in pots. Need some beefsteak tomatoes for the ground. I should have already planted cucumber, onion sets and squash. Plums are looking alright and we've had a lot of rain so the pecans should be heavy this year.Sometimes farmers market is better than being a slave to the garden.

Arklatex
05-15-2015, 01:21 PM
I hear ya. I've taken steps to make it a little easier though. My watering is drip irrigation on a timer. We also use the black landscape fabric and mulch to cut down on weeding. Biggest problem is the canning and pickling, but it always pays off in the long run. My wife and her mom make some killer bread and butter pickles and sweet relish. And nothing is better than fresh salsa. I'll have to see if I can dig up some recipes.

Sparkyprep
05-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Been 90 degrees since mid-February.

Baglady
05-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Been 90 degrees since mid-February.Damn! I guess you have to start in November for planting???

Baglady
05-16-2015, 12:21 AM
I hear ya. I've taken steps to make it a little easier though. My watering is drip irrigation on a timer. We also use the black landscape fabric and mulch to cut down on weeding. Biggest problem is the canning and pickling, but it always pays off in the long run. My wife and her mom make some killer bread and butter pickles and sweet relish. And nothing is better than fresh salsa. I'll have to see if I can dig up some recipes.This is the only year we havent used the landscape fabric. Soooo much easier for weeds! We were planning on using cardboard this year, and may still use it.
We opened up a new garden section, below the pond, (1st pic.) "Virgin" ground. It's really rich.

Baglady
05-16-2015, 12:27 AM
You are a horrible woman for pointing that out! We have not even been able to plant our tomatoes outside yet due to the cold and rain. Maybe next weekend? (The damn things are going to be fully grown inside in pots if we do not get some warm weather pretty soon!)Yeah, my Mom is having the same problem in OHIO. She starts her tomato's etc, from seed.
BUT. We have tried to start tomato's from seed, only to fail because of too much sun, and heat.

Baglady
05-16-2015, 12:35 AM
What your seeing to the right, (first 2 pic's) is our potato crop. We planted extra this year. Also planted xtra onions. Normally, our potato and onions last until January. We're hoping they'll last until March next year.

Slippy
05-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Awesome, Baglady!

We added a couple more raised beds and another stock tank to be used as a veggie planter bed this year and they all are planted either with seed from our stores or with plants that were store bought. Mrs Slippy abandoned her 20'x60' garden by the creek this year. It was way too much work hauling water and I wasn't able to "Slippy-Rig" a creek fed irrigation system over the winter due to the massive amounts of rain we got. (not to mention my tendency to sit on the couch, drink beer and watch sports in the winter)

But the raised beds and stock tanks are doing well and we should get some rain today. Good luck to everyone's garden this year!

Corn and watermelons were planted last weekend.
Peach's and plums are already on the trees.

Baglady
05-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Awesome, Baglady!

We added a couple more raised beds and another stock tank to be used as a veggie planter bed this year and they all are planted either with seed from our stores or with plants that were store bought. Mrs Slippy abandoned her 20'x60' garden by the creek this year. It was way too much work hauling water and I wasn't able to "Slippy-Rig" a creek fed irrigation system over the winter due to the massive amounts of rain we got. (not to mention my tendency to sit on the couch, drink beer and watch sports in the winter)

But the raised beds and stock tanks are doing well and we should get some rain today. Good luck to everyone's garden this year!That sounds great. The big garden is watered from the pond. With so much rain, we were lucky to get all our gardens planted as early as we did.