PDA

View Full Version : Water irrigation

RWalls
05-19-2015, 09:20 PM
So I had a Wayne portable pump. I was never terribly impressed with it. This past weekend it broke and water was pouring out the side. I could never get it to run more than 2 sprinklers even though it advertised 3. It was a 1hp electric and I used my Honda eu2000 to power it. Northern was out of them, I was going to buy another. I went to tractor supply and they had a comparable pump for more money. I bought it, what a turd. I returned it the next day. It had nowhere near the power as the Wayne pls100.

I am thinking of something maybe a little bigger as my garden continues to grow. If I move to a 1.5hp I am at the point where my little Honda genny can no longer provide the amps required. Most of the 1.5hp pumps are 17-20 amps.

I have been looking at a Briggs and Stratton gas powered pump with the 5.25 motor. I am not a huge fan of the chonda motors, the Chinese clones. But this one has decent reviews and would probably give me the ability to make it stationary and just create zones. I could probably cut down on time to water significantly.

Or I could try and get another electric pump. Maybe a more useful 1hp stationary electric pump like Wayne makes. Northern has the B&S on sale for $250 right now and I can probably get a $50 coupon. The electric pumps are about the same price and probably a lot longer lasting and less maintenance.

I am still working on a better way to irrigate without the use of pumps that require electricity or fuel. I have an old dug well and was thinking of a 12v solar pump with large holding tank 5' or so off the ground. But I think that's a little further down the road as far as time I have. I need to water my plants now not later. And I'm a cheap ass.1462

Any opinions? Advice? Ideas?

Pauls
05-20-2015, 01:53 AM
If the electric pump you have is rebuildable you might consider that - a gasket can be made from a cereal box and some Loctite or Permatex 518 sealer. If the housing is broken can you get a replacement for just the pump and reuse the motor? If neither of those will work then I would opt for the new electric pump and work on repairing the old one as a back-up. JB weld and the stronger epoxies like it can repair cracks and fill the voids inside the pump housing and Gaskets are easy to make. Just don't use silicone sealant on the pump.

From your description it sounds like the pump is leaking at the cover. It all depends on what is wrong but I have used high density epoxy to repair hydraulic pumps and cylinders before. They operate at 2800 psi. The epoxy holds if it is allowed to cure completely before putting the pump or cylinder back in service. If the impeller broke you can break off one of the fins opposite to the broken one to balance it. I wouldn't trust epoxy to hold a fin. That would have to be brazed on or silver soldered in place. the impeller would have to be pressed off the shaft and you would have to use MAAP gas or oxyacetylene torch to do the job right.

I offered too many choices for not knowing just what is broken and how it is built.

RWalls
05-20-2015, 05:41 AM
There's a seal where the motor and pump meet. I guess over the yeas it's been worn out and begun to leak. The company offers a rebuild kit but not that particular seal.

Pauls
05-20-2015, 01:17 PM
You can take the seal to a bearing/seal retailer and they can match it up according to size. When you install it be sure to use some lube on the part the shaft turns in. It might be a bit harder if it is a carbon seal but it can be matched . Use petroleum jelly on the faces of carbon seals.

Baglady
05-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Well. I don't know anything about pumps, etc. But, one alternative, is to get as many 5 gallon buckets as you may need, and drill a few holes in the bottom, or one small hole in the side. Set the buckets where they're needed. Fill with water, or allow the rainfall to fill them.
Another option, 55gal drums, same set up, or just as water collection for the 5 gallon buckets.
My Hubby waters the lower garden with a siphon hose from the pond. If the big garden across the road needs water, he loads up 55gal drums on his trailer, borrows a pump, and goes to a nearby channel.

RWalls
05-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Well. I don't know anything about pumps, etc. But, one alternative, is to get as many 5 gallon buckets as you may need, and drill a few holes in the bottom, or one small hole in the side.

This was my old method and my backup method. I also have several water gators.

RWalls
05-24-2015, 11:22 PM
I went to northern tool today to buy a new pump. I found a 2" Briggs and Straton gas pump and went to buy it. Well after I check out the girl outside says "come check out our scratch and dent sale, I said "bunch of junk". Anyway I went to look and what did I find? A $600 Honda gx160 3" pump. Looked like it was run once, oil was still clean. Anyway I said what you want for it? She said $20, I said $20 off? She said "no $20 but there's no returns". I said hell for $20 it'll be worth the chance. I got home and changed the oil, changed the fuel, pulled twice and it fired right up. Well, I returned the B&S one after that. Talk about God looking out for me! They had some other stuff but it was really beat up or no name junk.

Inor
05-25-2015, 12:29 AM
I went to northern tool today to buy a new pump. I found a 2" Briggs and Straton gas pump and went to buy it. Well after I check out the girl outside says "come check out our scratch and dent sale, I said "bunch of junk". Anyway I went to look and what did I find? A $600 Honda gx160 3" pump. Looked like it was run once, oil was still clean. Anyway I said what you want for it? She said $20, I said $20 off? She said "no $20 but there's no returns". I said hell for $20 it'll be worth the chance. I got home and changed the oil, changed the fuel, pulled twice and it fired right up. Well, I returned the B&S one after that. Talk about God looking out for me! They had some other stuff but it was really beat up or no name junk.

It's even one of those upside-down gas feed models! :biglaugh: Congrats on a hell of a deal!