PDA

View Full Version : Trapping out those freeking Grouned squirrels

Montana Rancher
06-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Hey
I am a small acreage rancher and had a problems with ground squirrels on my property. A person at my cowboy church turned me on to #110 conibear traps and i purchased 12 of them this spring. HOLY SMOLEY they are very effective not only if you want to trap out those pesky beast but also if you want a decent source of meat SHTF. I have trapped out 38 of them over the last 5 weeks and now I "gopher" free!. I am out of ground squirrels and will not only look at them as a chance of protein but as a source of protein.

RWalls
06-11-2015, 09:08 PM
110 is a great trap, every prepper should learn to use them.

Infidel
06-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Trapping is a skill that I never learned. As a kid I had no interest in it, probably because I didn't know anyone that trapped. Probably something I should take some time to learn if I can find the time.

-Infidel

Pauls
06-15-2015, 12:32 AM
Squirrels and a line trap is the easiest way to get started. Run a line 1/4" is a good size but you can use any rope you have handy. Place some oyster crackers or those "fish" shaped crackers on the ground where the rope is staked and run the rope up into a tree at a 30 degree angle or so. Every four to six feet tie some fishing line to the rope and form a free sliding knot around it. (a noose that slides freely) The squirrel will grab a few crackers and run up the rope becoming ensnared in the loop. If you use fishing line they will bite through it unless they are caught around the neck. If you use light wire (like music wire for the high notes on a guitar) then you will have to deal with squirrels that will bite you if they get a chance so you have to kill them while they are snared. A club (fishing club) is good but a BB gun works well and you can put it to their head and kill them cleanly.

Caution: Squirrels are known to carry rabies in many areas. If you get even just a scratch you can get it. If that happens take the squirrel (intact) to your doctors or the emergency room and they will test it for rabies. If it has rabies then you get to have the injections that will make you immune for up to three years. (or you could go to the vet and get a rabies shot before you start trapping them)

omegabrock
06-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Paul, do you have a picture or a video? I want to learn different trapping techniques

Pauls
06-17-2015, 05:00 PM
No video, I learned with some help from a few books on woods craft, my brother, and different types of traps from old boy scout manuals. Then my imagination took over and I adapted different ideas for the circumstances at hand.

I was most proud of myself when I used a bigger version of a "funnel box trap" to catch a deer - and it worked! We let the deer go but it was a good way to hunt without expending a lot of time.

omegabrock
06-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Ah, books. The long lost art of reading lol. I may need to go to the bookstore. There are a few other topics of like to have hard copies of

Montana Rancher
07-02-2015, 11:10 PM
Ah, books. The long lost art of reading lol. I may need to go to the bookstore. There are a few other topics of like to have hard copies of

Ok.
I trapped out most the ground squirrels on my properly and expanded with permission out onto the neighbors land (a couple of my worst problems didn't comply)

So far I am up to 48 trapped and a skunk and a fox (stake the traps down fur sur(

I don't know of any live ground squirrels on my property, $60 in traps is money well spent