PDA

View Full Version : Prepper Computer

Inor
06-22-2015, 09:38 PM
A few weeks ago I started working on some stuff for my work that is requiring me to write some pretty nasty code. Although the code I am writing is for controlling a peripheral device, it is low level enough to actually damage hardware if I make a mistake. For that reason, I decided to pick up a cheap "throw-away" computer for doing my testing rather than risking my Crackbook. What I found for a throw-away might be a diamond in the rough for prepping purposes.

I picked up a Raspberry Pi Model 2.

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-73827/l/the-new-raspberry-pi-2-model-b-1gb-technical-specifications?ICID=rpi2-topban-links

If you are not familiar with it, it is a complete computer on a single board. It includes a quad-core ARM processor running at 700MHZ (default - I have mine clocked up to 1100MHZ and it seems to be working fine), 1GB of RAM memory, 4 USB ports, an RJ-45 network connection, an HDMI video, and an 1/8 headphone jack. The power supply is just a micro USB that runs at 5 volts and draws just 3 watts of power! It uses an SD card for a cell phone as the hard drive.

The best part about it is the complete systems sells for $35 brand new!

Presently, there are several different variants for Linux that run on it and Microsoft is promising to release a version of Windows 10 for it for free as soon as Windows 10 comes out.

What makes this such an awesome little tool for preppers, beyond the price and the very small size (it is about 1 1/2 inches by 3 inches) is that it is considered "experimental" electronics. Thus, it is not subject to all of the government regulations on what you can and cannot do with it. Thus, the entire device is wide open to configuration.

For example: I paid the big bucks (an extra $10) and got the wireless network adapter. Although the wireless adapter comes preconfigured for the limited frequencies and power authorized by the FCC, it is a simple matter of configuration to open it up to all of the wireless frequencies and bump it up to full power! So this dopey little $35 computer that is about 1 1/2 inches by 3 inches is "seeing" wireless networks that are almost a mile from my house!

Furthermore, I am able to put the wireless (or wired) network into "passive" mode. When it is passive, it does not do any kind of handshake with any other networks. I cannot access the internet or any other network services while passive, but I am also completely invisible to the network. Therefore, I can capture every single packet of data traveling across whatever network I happen to be monitoring and there is no way to tell that I am even there. Thus it is perfect for gathering information. This is not possible with most laptops because the FCC requires the manufacturers to prevent manipulating the network card settings.

In addition, there are a buttload of add-on modules that can be purchased for it and most of them are really cheap (under $50). The one that I am thinking I may pick up after I am done with my project is a sensor module. It is intended for building a home security system. But I was thinking of placing it near some bushes on a windy day and capturing the movement of the leaves. That would make a PERFECT random seed for an encryption algorithm since it would be impossible to duplicate.

Finally, the latest addition to this little effort was to pick up a really cheap LED TV. (I go sick of trying to use the Pi connected to our big TV in the Family Room.) The TV is a 19 inch flat screen LED and cost me about $60. The best part about it is that it only draws about 60 watts at 12V and that is just when it is starting up. So, in a SHTF situation, I can run the whole system from a car battery and a single cheap solar panel will generate more than twice the power the system consumes!

It is worth checking into. Right now, I am doing some stuff with it using the Kali operating system which is an OS specifically designed for security applications. It is VERY cool stuff!

James m
06-22-2015, 10:11 PM
I don't know if they came out with it yet, but CHIP is one like raspberry pie but its only $9.00 yes nine dollars! It's supposed to use composite video like the RCA jacks on an old VCR so you could take it a lot of places.

http://hackaday.com/2015/05/19/interview-with-the-creators-of-chip-a-9-single-board-computer/

I had an idea, why not make a thing like a Google Chromecast that turns any flatscreen into a smart TV? I know they opened Chromecast to development but I don't know if it could handle my idea or if its been done before.... Oh well. :-/