PDA

View Full Version : Kershaw Ember

Infidel
07-04-2015, 06:40 AM
So my employer has decided to enforce the 2" blade rule and not allow us to carry anything Larger. I've carried a Kershaw Scallion for years, that blade measures about 2 3/8". My issue has always been finding a quality blade that won't break that's 2" or less. I also never really cared about the rule figuring that the 2" thing was abitrary and stupid. However since they are now enforcing it and we have all be threatened with disciplinary action should we get caught, I figured I better try to find something. If anyone has every tried to find a 2" pocket knife with a good heavy blade that isn't a piece of crap, you know how difficult it can be. Well yesterday while doing some research I stumbled on to the Kershaw Ember which looks like just about the perfect solution, the blade is a full 2" and looks pretty stout. Looks like it will lock up pretty solid too with a frame lock instead of the liner lock in the Scallion. I went ahead and ordered one from amazon yesterday and it came to a whopping $21.55 Hopefully it'll be as good or better than it looks. If anyone's interested or needs a smallish knife check it out here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1XOTXC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00. I'll post more info when I actually get it in hand.

-Infidel

Arklatex
07-04-2015, 07:12 AM
My employer did the same crap and I went through the same crap. I ended up with a Gerber Dime. At first I didn't rely like it but it grew on me and now I carry it even outside of work along with my edc blade. Blade length is 1.5 inches. $20

Arklatex
07-04-2015, 07:14 AM
I thought it was crazy to enforce that rule in a factory. There's weapons everywhere you look!

Infidel
07-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I agree for us multi-tools aren't allowed either, single blade pocket knives only and must be 2" or smaller. Stupid but them's the rules, I can live with it since I only have another 5yrs 5mos to go before I can retire. Hell I've done almost 20 now so another few years won't kill me I suppose.

-Infidel

Infidel
07-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Got the new Ember today, gotta love amazon's quick shipping. I'm pretty impressed with the little knife, Blade thickness is just a little shy of 1/8" and the length is 2" on the nose. Frame lock seems nice and sturdy, much sturdier than the liner locks of my other Kershaw knives. Pocket clip can be moved to any of 3 positions (tip up, tip down and a lefty version), I'll probably leave mine as is with the tip down as that looks like it would give the deepest ride in the pocket. I always carry my work knife inside my waistband with the clip clipped to my waistband. Makes it easy to access, hard to lose and no one even notices the pocket clip since it's hidden by my belt. The current tip down configuration should keep it well out of sight. My only issue with it is blade deployment seems very tight which is probably because it's still very new and needs to be broken in. The gimping on the spine of the blade really helps get a good grip on the little thing and will be much appreciated since I can only get 3 fingers around the handle. Blade came moderately sharp, certainly no razor but more than adequate for most cutting tasks. Overall, I dig it. Here's a few pics:
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/stu925/front_zpsdf3lxyln.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/stu925/media/front_zpsdf3lxyln.jpg.html)
Note the holes at the butt end of the grip for lefty pocket clip mounting

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/stu925/Back_zpspt03lu7p.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/stu925/media/Back_zpspt03lu7p.jpg.html)

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/stu925/Blade%20length_zpsksuxzthd.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/stu925/media/Blade%20length_zpsksuxzthd.jpg.html)

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/stu925/blade%20thickness_zpsgxh9fqju.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/stu925/media/blade%20thickness_zpsgxh9fqju.jpg.html)

-Infidel

hawgrider
07-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Looks stout!

Tachammer73
07-08-2015, 06:05 AM
My employer has a "no weapons" whatsoever rule... lol I still carry my spyderco matriarch 2 every waking moment as well as the kershaw Leek, I dont know that i could ever go out in public completely un armed...

Txwheels
07-08-2015, 06:21 AM
Rule # 4 - Always have a knife!

Inor
07-08-2015, 06:32 AM
My employer has a "no weapons" whatsoever rule... lol I still carry my spyderco matriarch 2 every waking moment as well as the kershaw Leek, I dont know that i could ever go out in public completely un armed...

I carry a Kershaw Leek every day. It is not a "weapon"; it is a tool. Anybody that is afraid of tools has a mental disorder and needs to seek professional help.

Rule #5: Stay away from people with mental disorders.

dsdmmat
07-08-2015, 06:44 AM
I usually carry a 4-6 inch fixed blade on my Body armor and a 3-4 inch folder in my pocket. I think I have a 2 inch folder in my tool box and on my reloading bench, but that is about as far as they go.

Dwight55
07-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Me and my little 3 blade "Old Timer" ain't into all that fancy and trendy knife stuff.

Broke the tip off one of the blades, . . . long one is about 1/4 gone from re-sharpening, . . . and you cannot cut a car door in half with it, . . . but it goes with me everywhere, . . . holds a good edge, . . . and is comfortable in the pocket.

AND, . . . push come shove, . . . it'll cut, . . . believe me it will.

May God bless,
Dwight

Infidel
07-08-2015, 07:13 AM
Me and my little 3 blade "Old Timer" ain't into all that fancy and trendy knife stuff.

Broke the tip off one of the blades, . . . long one is about 1/4 gone from re-sharpening, . . . and you cannot cut a car door in half with it, . . . but it goes with me everywhere, . . . holds a good edge, . . . and is comfortable in the pocket.

AND, . . . push come shove, . . . it'll cut, . . . believe me it will.

May God bless,
Dwight

Those old timers were good knives, problem is they don't make them the same anymore. I won't own a Schrade made outside of the U.S. What Imperial did to that company should be a crime. There are other companies that make that style of knife, Case being one of them. I do like those little knives and think they are very useful they just don't fit my needs in a pocket knife.

Outside of work I like bigger blade, generally I think it's more useful to me. 3 1/2-4" is just about right in a daily carry pocket knife for me. I tend to abuse knives so I need a heavy blade or I'm going to break it, I use them as screwdrivers, chisels and prybars all the time.

-Infidel

dsdmmat
07-08-2015, 09:30 AM
I have an old model 110 buck knife that i got when I was 13 it has a 4 1/4 inch primary blade. Nice knife but I don't take it out of the tool box too often.

Txwheels
07-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Unless I'm in bed sleeping, these 3 items are ALWAYS on my person.

Slippy
07-08-2015, 12:19 PM
I carry a Kershaw Leek every day. It is not a "weapon"; it is a tool. Anybody that is afraid of tools has a mental disorder and needs to seek professional help.

While on the office grounds or in the office building, my employer REQUIRES that a loaded firearm be accessible at all times by all employees.

Jakthesoldier
07-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Mtec makes a nice spring assist that is 2" handle has strap cutter and window punch. Shoots has like 3 of em, loves em.

Arklatex
07-08-2015, 02:39 PM

I have had a leek for about 4 years now. In fact I'm carrying it right now. My rotation goes with my mood. Kershaw, Spyderco, Case, Victorinox, Gerber, CRKT... Anyway the leek is a fine piece of American craftsmanship! In 4 years of carrying it I have 2 issues.

1: the tip is fragile due to the wharncliff blade shape. I've had to reprofile mine a few times. But it's also an excellent stabber.

2: the pocket clip is wimpy. I've had to remove it and give it a bend a few times so it will stay in place.

All in all its a great blade and we'll worth it. Plus it's made in USA.

Tachammer73
07-08-2015, 05:35 PM
This is actually my second leek, as you said the clip is kinda wimpy and thus led to my losing the first one I had years ago but I immediately went out and purchased another

Infidel
07-08-2015, 11:08 PM
I have had a leek for about 4 years now. In fact I'm carrying it right now. My rotation goes with my mood. Kershaw, Spyderco, Case, Victorinox, Gerber, CRKT... Anyway the leek is a fine piece of American craftsmanship! In 4 years of carrying it I have 2 issues.

1: the tip is fragile due to the wharncliff blade shape. I've had to reprofile mine a few times. But it's also an excellent stabber.

2: the pocket clip is wimpy. I've had to remove it and give it a bend a few times so it will stay in place.

Send that knife back to Kershaw, they'll replace the blade. I sent them 5 knives, 4 Scallions and a Blur for repair for everything from broken torsion bars to broken blades. Like I said, I'm tough on knives. Every knife I sent in was repaired and sent back within about 3 weeks. 1 knife was replaced. No questions asked on the repairs they just fix them or replace them.

-Infidel

Inor
07-09-2015, 05:08 AM

I do not use the pocket clip. In point of fact, I am thinking of just removing it. If you need another pocket clip, let me know and I'll mail it to you.