PDA

View Full Version : Alabama White sauce

hawgrider
07-10-2015, 10:14 AM
My 2 son in-laws make Alabama white sauce quite often. The stuff is very addicting. When they make a batch they always give me a jar of so I haven't had to make my own yet. This recipe is pretty close to how they make it. Check it out.

Back in 1925 Bob Gibson was just starting his now famous barbecue joint – Big Bob Gibson’s in Decatur, Alabama. Well known for his delicious pork and ribs, Big Bob was looking for a way to keep his chicken moist during the long smoking process. What he came up with was this barbecue sauce unlike anyone had ever tasted. Now, 90 years later, it’s a north Alabama staple that works as a marinade, a basting liquid, and a table sauce.

Big Bob Gibson’s White Sauce
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Add the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to mix well. Refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors blend.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-wild-chef/how-to-make-big-bob-gibson%E2%80%99s-white-sauce?dom=fas&loc=contentwell&lnk=how-to-make-big-bob-gibsons-white-sauce-

Arklatex
07-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Never heard of it. Sounds good I may give it a try. On the topic of oddball BBQ sauces I tried a new one last week. There is a guy making it locally for his restaurant. It's half sweet baby rays original and half thousand island dressing. Mix in some cayenne pepper to give it a kick. Now it sounds strange but it's actually really good. Especially on some meat fries.

hawgrider
07-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Ark its not just for BBQ I use it on fried eggs, sandwichs instead of mayo, French fries instead of ketchup. Holy moley the stuff is very good. Tweak the recipe to your liking.

Sparkyprep
07-10-2015, 02:46 PM
I've never heard of this. I am definantly going to try this.

hawgrider
07-10-2015, 03:23 PM
So this southern deliciously is not all that popular in the south? I had never had it or heard of it until a couple years ago. My son in law got the recipe from a co worker up here in yankee country. Maybe its not a staple in Alabama? Sure is good though adjust the heat as you see fit. I also substitute the cayenne pepper with the smoked Jalapeno pepper I make.

Slippy
07-10-2015, 03:59 PM
My 2 son in-laws make Alabama white sauce quite often. The stuff is very addicting. When they make a batch they always give me a jar of so I haven't had to make my own yet. This recipe is pretty close to how they make it. Check it out.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-wild-chef/how-to-make-big-bob-gibson%E2%80%99s-white-sauce?dom=fas&loc=contentwell&lnk=how-to-make-big-bob-gibsons-white-sauce-

So this southern deliciously is not all that popular in the south? I had never had it or heard of it until a couple years ago. My son in law got the recipe from a co worker up here in yankee country. Maybe its not a staple in Alabama? Sure is good though adjust the heat as you see fit. I also substitute the cayenne pepper with the smoked Jalapeno pepper I make.

Memories Hawg, memories!

I grew up in Alabama, then moved around the country, TX, MO, GA etc and finally made it back. Slippy Lodge is in Alabama as some of you may know.

Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL (north Alabama) is probably the first place that I had Alabama white BBQ sauce. I don't remember as a child eating WHITE BBQ sauce in South Alabama but we could get it in various BBQ places in Georgia.

I HIGHLY recommend Big Bob Gibson's restaurant. Today, one of Big Bob's Greatgrandaughter's husband, Chris Lilly is now running the place. A few years ago he was on the Food Network on the various BBQ shows. Excellent BBQ with a long time family history.

http://bigbobgibson.com/history/

hawgrider
07-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Good story Slippy.:thumb:

shootbrownelk
07-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Good story Slippy.:thumb:

Slippy always has good stories!