PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Power: The Top Portable Solar Panel Chargers for Disasters

hawgrider
07-17-2015, 05:45 AM
I'm not a super techie guy. But I can see a use for these.

http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2015/07/sunjack.jpg

From seasonal storms and natural disasters to hacking attacks and terrorism, we face more threats on our power grid than ever before. With much of our electrical infrastructure still relying on antiquated equipment and technologies, our power grid has become extremely vulnerable to disruption.

Luckily advances in solar technology has made it possible for everyone to at least have a small emergency solar backup, even if it’s just something that can keep your small electronic devices up and running. These small portable devices are not only great for camping and hiking adventures,

http://offgridsurvival.com/bestemergencysolarpanels/

Arklatex
07-17-2015, 10:20 AM
I would like to get some sort of solar setup to run a few appliances like my deep freezer and a few lights. Maybe the well pump too but my research tells me that one is difficult due to the inverter cost to go 240 v... The batteries are also real expensive and have to be rotated. However the system would pay for itself after the first big power outage. Saving my food and letting us drink from the well instead of the emergency water stash. Not to mention being able to flush the toilet without hauling water and getting a shower, even if it is a cold one. I can do this now with the generator but fuel is always a concern when you think about SHTF.

For now I have a small folding panel that can recharge batteries for flashlights and keep my phone charged for communications. I also have a bunch of solar yard lights that have come in handy in power outages in the past. The yard lights can also recharge AA batteries. It's not much but it's better than nothing. One of these days I'll get around to buying that big system.

Txwheels
07-17-2015, 10:32 AM
I've been thinking and looking at some solar stuff lately too.

hawgrider
07-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I've been thinking and looking at some solar stuff lately too. I'm ready to jump on this band wagon as soon as cash flow frees up some.

Txwheels
07-17-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm ready to jump on this band wagon as soon as cash flow frees up some.

We already have 2 generators, but in a SHTF situation one can not be sure about gasoline availability.

hawgrider
07-17-2015, 10:45 AM
We already have 2 generators, but in a SHTF situation one can not be sure about gasoline availability.Exactly. You can only keep so much gas for so long. And when the grid went down years ago there was no obtaining more gas.

Sparkyprep
07-17-2015, 03:14 PM
I lived through hurricanes Francis and Gene. No power for one month. I had a back up generator, but guess what? The gas stations didn't! Don't count on gasoline being available in a grid down situation. Trust me. I know. No power for a month, and gasoline not available for three weeks. When gas did become available, the lines were 8 hours long.

Slippy
07-17-2015, 04:36 PM
We need the price of the batteries to get in line, that will determine the affordability of the system. Tesla is supposedly working on a new type of battery system that will make solar power more affordable and viable for long term.

hawgrider
07-17-2015, 05:41 PM
We need the price of the batteries to get in line, that will determine the affordability of the system. Tesla is supposedly working on a new type of battery system that will make solar power more affordable and viable for long term.I saw an article on those batteries somewhere. Might have even posted it. They look promising.

Slippy
07-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Hawg, I think you may have. I know that something has to be done but for now, a complete solar power system is out of the question due to price. The only reason to buy it is to make sure you have something in case SHTF but for many, the dollars don't payback.

hawgrider
07-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Hawg, I think you may have. I know that something has to be done but for now, a complete solar power system is out of the question due to price. The only reason to buy it is to make sure you have something in case SHTF but for many, the dollars don't payback.
Price is what kept me out of the game for sure. I'll poke around and see if I can find it. I should read up on them again.

hawgrider
07-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Thought it sounded familer. Hell I cant remember what I had for lunch yesterday apparently lol

http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?2861-New-Tesla-Battery-Could-be-the-Answer-to-Off-Grid-Power&highlight=batteries

Slippy
07-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Price is what kept me out of the game for sure. I'll poke around and see if I can find it. I should read up on them again.

I guess it was almost 3 years ago I got a quote on a system (hardware only) to run my entire house (except summertime AC) and it was something like $27k and I had to install it.

My power bill is averaging about $180 month so there was no freakin payback for 13 or 14 years. Plus it wouldn't have been able to handle the AC load in the south in the summertime. Prices are down but not that much,

Arklatex
07-17-2015, 08:07 PM
I saw an article on those batteries somewhere. Might have even posted it. They look promising.
Here you go

http://www.theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?t=2861

Edit: you already found it! I should read the whole thread before I post...

hawgrider
07-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Here you go

http://www.theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?t=2861

Edit: you already found it! I should read the whole thread before I post...It took a while for my memeory to kick in lol

Inor
07-17-2015, 08:44 PM
I guess it was almost 3 years ago I got a quote on a system (hardware only) to run my entire house (except summertime AC) and it was something like $27k and I had to install it.

My power bill is averaging about $180 month so there was no freakin payback for 13 or 14 years. Plus it wouldn't have been able to handle the AC load in the south in the summertime. Prices are down but not that much,

Yow! With a 13-14 year break even, you would never break even since the batteries only last 5-10 years I think.

Sparkyprep
07-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Yow! With a 13-14 year break even, you would never break even since the batteries only last 5-10 years I think.

You have got to figure in maintenance. You may never break even. After 15 years, you might have to start replacing charge controllers, inverters, etc.

Slippy
07-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Correct