PDA

View Full Version : Seminole squash?

RWalls
07-20-2015, 06:38 AM
My first year growing Seminole squash, I can tell you these things are massive. Who has a recipe?

Auntie
07-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I had to look this up because I was not familiar with it. Apparently it is related to the butternut squash. So I would try cooking it the way that you cook butternut.

The Indians sliced and sun dried the extra squash. They can also be stored for months at room temperature. It apparently grows wild in Florida and other parts of the south.

Thanks for posting the picture.

RWalls
07-21-2015, 06:41 AM
It only grows wild in parts of the Everglades, last time I went there I got some seeds. They grow well in GA. If you let them sit up a while they taste like sweet potatoes.

Dwight55
07-21-2015, 07:11 AM
My family used to grow the green and white striped one in the picture, . . . we called them coo-shaw squash.

They make a pumpkin pie that is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Just needs a drop or two of food coloring to fool the eater.

Peel em and cut em up, . . . bake em in the oven with butter and brown sugar, . . . they're palatable, . . . can almost pass for sweet taters.

Throw them in the cellar, . . . they last for months, . . . and they grew like weeds for my mom and her brother.

May God bless,
Dwight

Deebo
07-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Ship one to Deebo, I'll try it....

Deebo
07-21-2015, 10:45 AM
We have never grown squash, the wife doesn't enjoy it, so I buy local.

Pauls
07-22-2015, 12:40 AM
Just cut the squash in half and place it in a casserole bake it with some butter and brown sugar. (I like it better without the brown sugar but most like sweet things.

Baglady
07-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Well, I dont see why you can't make bread or pie with it like I did yesterday with some of our zucchini. As we speak, I am eating a slice of zucchini bread with butter...
Zucchini Pie:
8 cups cubed, peeled, seeded Zucchini
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup Lemon juice

Crumb mixture:
4 cups (all purpose) flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 sticks soft butter/margarine
Mix all together. Put 1/2 of this into a 9 x 13 pan, and bake for 10
minutes @ 375.

Cook zucchini in lemon juice until tender.
Add sugar and cinnamon, simmer 1 minute.
Add 1/2 cup of crumb mixture to thicken.

Put Zucchini mixture on top of the baked crumb, and top with remaining crumb mixture.
Bake for 35 minutes @ 375.

This recipe makes 2 loaves.

Baglady
07-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Zucchini Bread is the same as Banana Nut bread recipe, except you shred 3 cups of Zucchini instead of banana's.
I add raisins to mine.
Also, I make about 6 loaves, and freeze them to have on those cold winter mornings. It toasts nicely.

Pauls
07-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks BagLady, you just reminded me that I have three very ripe bananas that need to go into a loaf of banana - nut loaf! as always, love ya!

Baglady
07-22-2015, 11:11 PM
Thanks BagLady, you just reminded me that I have three very ripe bananas that need to go into a loaf of banana - nut loaf! as always, love ya!
Awww. I (heart) you too.

And, Im glad you stayed.

Pauls
07-23-2015, 03:51 PM
I just had to get my head and heart back in the right place. The one thing in life that we do have control over is how we respond to life.

Baglady
07-23-2015, 09:03 PM
I just had to get my head and heart back in the right place. The one thing in life that we do have control over is how we respond to life.I'm glad you came to that conclusion. Wise words to live by.

Dwight55
07-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Baglady, . . . I consider you a friend, . . . and probably a nice person, . . .

But I just about gagged a few moments ago.

Please do not waste good pie dough on something like them there zuchinnis, . . . I mean there are peaches, apples, cherries, plums, grapes, coconuts, pineapples, and lots of other GOOD things to put in pie dough besides them things, . . .

I think the Native Americans had a word for that,...........UGH !!!

I had a similar experience the other day when I saw a recipe for green tomato pie,..............ewwwwweue..................

May God bless,
Dwight

Baglady
07-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Baglady, . . . I consider you a friend, . . . and probably a nice person, . . .

But I just about gagged a few moments ago.

Please do not waste good pie dough on something like them there zuchinnis, . . . I mean there are peaches, apples, cherries, plums, grapes, coconuts, pineapples, and lots of other GOOD things to put in pie dough besides them things, . . .

I think the Native Americans had a word for that,...........UGH !!!

I had a similar experience the other day when I saw a recipe for green tomato pie,..............ewwwwweue..................

May God bless,
Dwight:biglaugh: Hey, Don't knock it till you tried it! It tastes like Apple Pie. Just another way to get your veggies...

Dwight55
07-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Sorry, Baglady, . . .

Skunk du jour may be the delicacy of the day, . . . not for me.

And a pie that tastes like apples, . . . should be made from apples.

Besides that, . . . I start every day with my glass of V8, . . . got my veggies, thankee.

May God bless,
Dwight