PDA

View Full Version : One year of Preps

Sarge7402
07-25-2015, 07:09 AM
I think it's very short sighted for folks to concentrate on ensuring their survival but neglecting their neighborhoods.

As an example I know I can not grow - without a lot of effort - all the food that we would need to survive a SHTF incident. However, in an area 6 miles around my homestead (an easy ride on a bicycle) we have at least two cattle raising facilities, large fields of corn and soy beans, not to mention two 100 plus acre truck garden farms, Emergency housing (three motels and three schools), two Vets, four doctors, a pharmacy, two dollar stores, one large supermarket, and four small self contained communities - with their own security forces.

So am I better prepared by having a year's supply of food or making contacts and establishing relationships with this small area. Me, I'll reach out and connect before I try and stockpile .

Oh, and yes, I do have several skills to help a community like this to survive.:stirpot::feedtroll:

RWalls
07-25-2015, 07:58 AM
I think both are important. Being in a good, small community and having plenty of LTS to survive on until certain arrangements are sorted out. Having just one plan or idea has never sat well with me. Multiple caches at family members homes, large stock at mine, having a good cash surplus and plenty of guns and ammo. Also being able to grow your own food as well as knowing others in your community that think the same way you do plus produce their own food will help both you and your neighbor by insuring you all are prepared.

hawgrider
07-25-2015, 08:11 AM
I dread the community aspect. People suck, lie, cheat, kill.

But the jack of all trades will be able to fit in and have skill to offer in almost any situation if community interactions become nesessary.

OSFG
07-25-2015, 09:25 AM
The truth is if you even broach the subject most will immediately start to fear you are unhinged...even though fema says a lot of the same. Folks are ok talking about a short term issue....3 days to a couple weeks. Any longer and your "that guy". I am a jack of all trades....I am vicious... I am capable...and I am aware....that is all I care about. If you have something to offer...I will work with you...if you are helpless I will help and teach you. If you are lazy or stupid...I will let you fail and die...or even kill you myself if you are a threat.

A community is better than a lone family obviously....but in my case...if I am not in charge or at least a major player...I will stand apart and negotiate with thar community vice integrate with it. OSFG TRUSTS OSFG...

Baglady
07-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Everybody's situation will be different. Depending on their area. I hope I'm in the best area for us. We know everybody for miles around. We're in the country, and everyone grows/raises/hunts/puts food up.
We all help each other when needed now, so hopefully we can count on each other in a SHTF situation. If not, we are prepared to stand alone.

OSFG
07-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Your tight bags...it is all dependant on your location...I'm in a type a warrior rich area...which means I am more likely to raise an army over be able to sustain our army..so I will focus on that and negotiate who and what we fight for....if that time comes.

Sparkyprep
07-26-2015, 08:08 AM
I live in a small, isolated, rural community on a dirt road. We are all "preppers" to some extent. As a community, we will be fine.

Montana Rancher
09-16-2015, 12:22 AM
Everybody's situation will be different. Depending on their area. I hope I'm in the best area for us. We know everybody for miles around. We're in the country, and everyone grows/raises/hunts/puts food up.
We all help each other when needed now, so hopefully we can count on each other in a SHTF situation. If not, we are prepared to stand alone.

I live in a small, isolated, rural community on a dirt road. We are all "preppers" to some extent. As a community, we will be fine.

I dread the community aspect. People suck, lie, cheat, kill.

But the jack of all trades will be able to fit in and have skill to offer in almost any situation if community interactions become nesessary.

Makes my point if you have been paying attention.