PDA

View Full Version : 5 Unusual Bug Out Bag Items ?

hawgrider
07-28-2015, 05:20 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/sites/outdoorlife.com/files/styles/article_image_full/public/DSC_0358_0.JPG?itok=2wI87phG

You know the scene in so many post-apocalyptic movies in which the hero strides boldly through the desolation with a rucksack of badass gear on his shoulders? Well forget it. Plain and simple, scenes like those are nothing more than ridiculous fantasy. If you ever had to grab a bug-out bag and run for the hills, it would not be in slow motion, you would not look so noble, and there’d definitely be no theme music playing in the background.

If you’re using your BOB, you’re experiencing one of the worst days of your entire life,
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/survival-gear-5-unusual-bug-out-bag-items

Deebo
07-28-2015, 12:39 PM
I have some hard candy in my bag. It doubles as slingshot ammo...
I might see how well three in oil can be sealed in straws, but I think it is iffy.
I did a pretty detailed breakdown of my truckbags last year.

Baglady
07-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Interesting reading. I also read the blog about the medical supplies. I have a lot of stuf in our med bag, but didn't think about rope or tin foil.

James m
07-28-2015, 04:56 PM
I know I said this before but hand sanitizer. For after bathroom use and its flammable because it contains alcohol. The flame is hard to see.

Tks
07-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Hard candy I have. I have some high energy lemon drops that I keep. You can also dissolve them in water to make it taste better

Nail clippers I have. We're all prone to hang nails and keeping good care of your feet is a priority if you have to hoof it out or to somewhere of any distance. They are also good for cutting twine.

Tecnu, that's a great one that we have an equivalent of. Poison ivy oil is so difficult to remove with all the comforts of home let alone in a SHTF situation.

Beeswax. I'm not sure if that's a smart use of space or weight but it would depend on the area of the country you're in. Here in the Midwest or any of the upper, colder States, yeah, I could see that being useful. Warmer States, I could see it just taking up room in the pack and not being of much use. I highly doubt they is going to be a whole lot of covering tools with wax to protect them, that, to me, is over thinking.

The oil, no. In a bug out or get home situation, the last thing your going to be worried about is oiling tools. The metal can shown, once opened or transferred into another container has a degree of leakage which could potentially be disastrous. Soaking clothing, damaging food, degrading plastics, damaging shelter materials, and even ruining the Bob itself. As a firestarter, I can think of a half dozen better, with less potential for damage, alternatives.

hawgrider
07-29-2015, 04:14 AM
Hard candy I have. I have some high energy lemon drops that I keep. You can also dissolve them in water to make it taste better

Nail clippers I have. We're all prone to hang nails and keeping good care of your feet is a priority if you have to hoof it out or to somewhere of any distance. They are also good for cutting twine.

Tecnu, that's a great one that we have an equivalent of. Poison ivy oil is so difficult to remove with all the comforts of home let alone in a SHTF situation.

Beeswax. I'm not sure if that's a smart use of space or weight but it would depend on the area of the country you're in. Here in the Midwest or any of the upper, colder States, yeah, I could see that being useful. Warmer States, I could see it just taking up room in the pack and not being of much use. I highly doubt they is going to be a whole lot of covering tools with wax to protect them, that, to me, is over thinking.

The oil, no. In a bug out or get home situation, the last thing your going to be worried about is oiling tools. The metal can shown, once opened or transferred into another container has a degree of leakage which could potentially be disastrous. Soaking clothing, damaging food, degrading plastics, damaging shelter materials, and even ruining the Bob itself. As a firestarter, I can think of a half dozen better, with less potential for damage, alternatives.
Guns need oil. Bow strings need beeswax. Just food for thought.