PDA

View Full Version : How Much Money Do You Have in Your Bug out Bag?

hawgrider
07-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Assuming that money in the common forms we are talking about here (cash, precious metals) is able to be used to our benefit during a bug out scenario, have you ever thought about how much you need to put into your bug out bag?
http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2015/07/27/how-much-money-in-your-bug-out-bag/

RWalls
07-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Funny, in the article the guy rights about extreme inflation, says gas may surge to $100 a gallon. Then he goes on to write $1000 would be the best amount to have. Thats 10 gallons of gas. Unless you have a Prius you aren't getting very far.

DerBiermeister
07-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Never thought about it --- but I decided about a year ago that the wife and I ain't bugging out anywhere. We are going to make our stand right here at the house. I live in the country, but in a relatively small sub-division (91 homes), that IMO is well-defended from the city hoardes that will be finding their way south from DC or north from Richmond. It is so heavily wooded with difficult terrain, that there are really only two entrances from the hwy where the hoardes would be coming from. We have enough well-armed neighbors that we can defend those two entrances.

It's a never-ending work in progress, but I still need to purchase my big propane generator. I plan on a 500 gal tank and the generator would be used only sparingly, primarily to keep the fridge and freezer in garage going. We probably have enough food for 3-months, not counting all the wild game around (mucho deer, wild turkeys, etc.).

This whole money thing is a mystery to me and a total crap shoot. Depending on the calamity, we may find that within a day or two, US Currency ceases to be of ANY value. Even gold and silver may be worthless -- you can't eat it. IMO, the most valuable "currency" will be ammo, toilet paper, -- hell, even tooth paste.

hawgrider
07-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Funny, in the article the guy rights about extreme inflation, says gas may surge to $100 a gallon. Then he goes on to write $1000 would be the best amount to have. Thats 10 gallons of gas. Unless you have a Prius you aren't getting very far.The hundy is the new $1.00 bill.

Arklatex
07-29-2015, 07:45 AM
I've got about 25 pounds in my ghb. It's a little more when you fill the water containers.

hawgrider
07-29-2015, 08:11 AM
I've got about 25 pounds in my ghb. It's a little more when you fill the water containers.Water is close to 8 lbs per gallon.

shootbrownelk
07-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Funny, in the article the guy rights about extreme inflation, says gas may surge to $100 a gallon. Then he goes on to write $1000 would be the best amount to have. Thats 10 gallons of gas. Unless you have a Prius you aren't getting very far.
That's where all the ammo and guns a guy hoarded come into play....gas is free!

Reptilicus
07-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Money.... in a BOB!!! I thought I was suppose to take it to the liquor store and buy refreshments!!!!

Pauls
07-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Money.... in a BOB!!! I thought I was suppose to take it to the liquor store and buy refreshments!!!!

Well, at least you are always prepared for a party! :)

Baglady
07-30-2015, 11:38 PM
We have extra money in our "pantry" which is in our shop. It's more like a safe room. But, we also plan to stay put. If we have to go, it would take us about an hour or so to get everything packed up.

DerBiermeister
08-04-2015, 06:56 AM
Saw this here on the forum under a different topic

http://theoutdoortradingpost.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=1620&d=1438444015&thumb=1

I have to admit, it has a LOT of possibilities if we do have to skiddadle. I can see loading up my 4Runner with a full tank of gas (which will get me 450 miles), along with a couple of jerry cans full of gas, and then this 3-wheel cart for when we reach the end of the road.
Load the rest of the truck with camping gear and food and water, and when I find what I think would be a fairly safe location, we would park the truck and use that as our home base. That 3-wheel cart sure is a game changer in terms of staying well-armed IF you have to head out on foot.

BucketBack
08-04-2015, 10:57 AM
That's what I need. Old ALICE is heavy these days.
To bad Michigan would probably consider the 3 wheeled stroller a vehicle

Then you would be guilty of concealing a loaded long gun(s)

hawgrider
08-04-2015, 12:15 PM

Then you would be guilty of concealing a loaded long gun(s)"In or upon"! Lol

TJC44
08-08-2015, 08:25 PM
What's concealed? the extra ammo?

Pauls
08-08-2015, 10:03 PM
In some places if a gun is on or in a vehicle it is legally considered concealed. In Washington If it is in your car it is considered concealed - whether you are wearing it in "open carry" style (in a holster on your hip) or not. Even if it is placed on the dashboard it is considered concealed.

But hey, in Washington you butter knife is considered a dangerous weapon if you are carrying it outside you property.

BucketBack
08-09-2015, 05:59 AM
If you lean your rifle against a truck tailgate or car door during a target session, it is considered concealed in Michigan.

shootbrownelk
08-12-2015, 03:19 AM

Then you would be guilty of concealing a loaded long gun(s)

You'd need to buy an ATV/Off road sticker out here in Wyoming.Ha Ha....If it rolls tax it!

Pauls
08-12-2015, 02:14 PM
I have a "perfect" bugout device that every prepper NEEDS to own. It is a bullet proof Lexan sphere seven feet in diameter. You can use it with a small motorcycle (if you don't mind breathing exhaust gases) on foot or with your favorite toy sized quad. Be the first in your group to get one and be completely bullet proof as you make your way down the trail to your BOL!

If you act now you can get one for the very low introductory price of 2999.95 (plus shipping and handling). Don't wait! this price will not last. (only good for the first 5 callers) - (whether or not they buy).

This is not an ad, it is brought to you as a public service announcement from "Services Unlimited" (TM), Survival Division.

Montana Rancher
08-13-2015, 01:23 AM
http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2015/07/27/how-much-money-in-your-bug-out-bag/

A great question, sorry most that replied really didn't get it. My "bug out bag" is actually my get home bag but the concept is the same. I have exactly $450 in small bills and 20 Morgan silver dollars, since I'm getting home shortly after the collapse, a reasonable amount of cash and silver seems prudent to purchase gas, extra food, and gasoline depending on how far I am away from home.