PDA

View Full Version : Bee keeping

Tks
07-29-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm kind of excited, we went to pick out some shrubs today for our house and I found out the local nursery is offering free beekeeping classes. So I signed up. Then the lady signing me tells me this: They are even giving away basic set ups plus offering free to come to homes and help set up "urban" Bee keeping equipment. I've been wanting to do this for years but never thought it was a possibility living in a suburb.

James m
07-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Good luck. Some family friends had a big bee set up. Those guys were swarming. I do hear that you have to leave some honey in the hive for winter. Because there's no flowers in the winter.

Dwight55
07-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Bee keeping can be challenging, . . . but also rewarding.

I have read of many different "urban" setups, . . . sometimes even the neighbors didn't know about it.

One of my favorite was where the beekeeper put them all upstairs in his garage (4 or 5 hives), . . . fixed each one with an outside entrance, . . . never had to worry about sun, wind, rain, snow, sleet, . . . or anything else like that while working the bees.

Mine are outdoors, . . . only have the one.

But they are fun, . . . I go over every now and then, . . . just hang out and watch em do their thing, . . . they are fascinating.

May God bless,
Dwight

Tks
07-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Bee keeping can be challenging, . . . but also rewarding.

I have read of many different "urban" setups, . . . sometimes even the neighbors didn't know about it.

One of my favorite was where the beekeeper put them all upstairs in his garage (4 or 5 hives), . . . fixed each one with an outside entrance, . . . never had to worry about sun, wind, rain, snow, sleet, . . . or anything else like that while working the bees.

Mine are outdoors, . . . only have the one.

But they are fun, . . . I go over every now and then, . . . just hang out and watch em do their thing, . . . they are fascinating.

May God bless,
Dwight
We're on the edge of a small suburb that is on the edge of the city and county, lots of green spaces behind our house. Ours will definitely be outside far away from the house as hubs is deadly allergic to honey bees.

Dwight55
07-30-2015, 05:12 PM
May I also suggest that you face the entrance away from your property also.

I know it sounds silly, . . . but bees really do have a "landing pattern", . . . and if you get caught in it, . . . you can reap a stinging reward.

My cousin had one hive once, . . . little black bees, . . . meaner than all getout, . . . get in their glide path, . . . get stung.

You can actually go out near a hive and by watching them come in, . . . you can plot their path.

May God bless,
Dwight

Tks
07-30-2015, 05:14 PM
May I also suggest that you face the entrance away from your property also.

I know it sounds silly, . . . but bees really do have a "landing pattern", . . . and if you get caught in it, . . . you can reap a stinging reward.

My cousin had one hive once, . . . little black bees, . . . meaner than all getout, . . . get in their glide path, . . . get stung.

You can actually go out near a hive and by watching them come in, . . . you can plot their path.

May God bless,
Dwight
That's great information to have!

Baglady
07-30-2015, 10:48 PM
That sounds like an awesome program! I'm so jealous! Keep us posted on what you learn.

Tks
07-31-2015, 09:41 PM
That sounds like an awesome program! I'm so jealous! Keep us posted on what you learn.
You might want to give a call to your local extension office of games and parks. I called ours to see if they had any information to send out, they have a whole binder they can send or send it via email and they have several videos available to send. They are also offering to send a bee expert out whenever asked and they even have equipment they have to give away. It's part of the states conservation effort.

Baglady
08-01-2015, 06:17 PM
You might want to give a call to your local extension office of games and parks. I called ours to see if they had any information to send out, they have a whole binder they can send or send it via email and they have several videos available to send. They are also offering to send a bee expert out whenever asked and they even have equipment they have to give away. It's part of the states conservation effort.That's what I like about your program. The bee (or lack of) population is being taken seriously, and the "powers that be" are doing something about it. I've heard it's expensive starting out, and I have read up on Bee Keeping. There's a lot to learn!
Maybe after my Hubby retires we'll take it on too. Good Luck!