PDA

View Full Version : GHB/BOB -- What are some of your unique items that others may not think of?

DerBiermeister
07-31-2015, 03:05 PM
Everybody keeps the basic stuff, so I won't mention those items. But here is a list of some of what I consider to be unique items that not everyone would think of.

8x26 monocular (made by Zen-Ray).

Two lengths of 550 paracord -- a 25' roll (get to quick) and a 50' roll (tucked away). I figure you can never have enough of that stuff.

6 foot of insulated solid copper formed into a square that fits nicely inside my Maxpedition EDC pouch.

I emptied a CVS hand-sanitizer spray pen and refilled with 98% isopropyl alcohol.

An oil dispenser - about the size of a fat pen.

I keep a set of sail needles and a roll of heavy waxed twine -- it'll sew canvas if need be.

Two small Fresnel lens cards. One is 5 power

I keep a valid credit card. NEVER keep all your credit cards and currency in one place, like a wallet, as it cana be easily lost.

I have a very small pair of vice grips.

I keep my original Leatherman tool -- must be 50 years old.

I keep a very large Tyvec mailing envelope folded away -- it can be used for many things, not the least of which is an emergency pancho if needed.

A folding saw blade -- I have 7" one made by HDX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BQ1L9E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

About 25' of gorilla tape wrapped (two sections) around an old cc size card.

Police/Fire scanner (mine is a Uniden BCD436HP)

A small tube of gorilla glue

A small 5 1/2" pry bar

In addition to your standard medical kit, add this in -- AR500 Armor Pocket Emergency Personal Injury Kit (EPIK). The Pocket EPIK is designed to stop severe arterial bleeding, bleeding from gunshot, stab/slash wounds, or other severe bleeding injuries.

A small padlock and key

Glover's Pocket Ref book (Maxpedition) -- If you have room for only one book, this should be it

An excellent compass (mine is the Suunto MC Series Compasses Global Needle with Inch Scale)

A good signaling mirror -- glass, not plastic

And if the grid is truly down:

Folded solar panel charger (PowerAdd)

External Battery Pack (example: Anker Astro E5 15000mAh 2-Port 3A Output Portable Charger Power Bank for USB Devices)

Small box of various USB cables

Portable HAM radio with rechargeable batteries and AA battery pack.

Extra batteries various selections of AA, AAA, CR123A,

Tks
07-31-2015, 04:47 PM
The only odd thing I can think of in our bobs is bounty paper towels with dawn. We each have a few in our mess kits. Food poisoning is not something I want to deal with in a situation where we would need to use our bobs.

I have a winter car tote that in it I keep an orange car window marker in.

We all have mini book in our bags, about the size of a 3x5 card. In those we have mini maps, family addresses and phone numbers all over the Midwest, individual immediate family member photos with medical and personal information, and a copy of our family plan. These used to be in folders but I found a company that made mini books a few years ago cheap so I had these done instead.

Inor
07-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Maybe it is too obvious to be considered "unique" but a roll of pre-1965 quarters is a necessity.

DerBiermeister
07-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Is that for a sucker punch?

Reptilicus
07-31-2015, 11:32 PM
A jewelers loupe which is small, light weight and very useful for a number of purposes!!!!!

Arklatex
08-01-2015, 07:18 AM
A 3 pack of 1 liter water bags. These are backups to my 2 canteens and water bladder. They stand up when full, close securely and are super lightweight and compact when rolled up. 1 liter works with purification tabs. They are about the size of half a pencil each when rolled up. They will actually fit in an altoids survival tin.

hawgrider
08-01-2015, 07:42 AM
I have to lighten my pack up. Mine is a not coming back bag. Its hard getting it under 50 lbs. Id like it to be closer to 25 lbs although with water bladder and ammo its going to be challenging.

Arklatex
08-01-2015, 10:49 AM
I have to lighten my pack up. Mine is a not coming back bag. Its hard getting it under 50 lbs. Id like it to be closer to 25 lbs although with water bladder and ammo its going to be challenging.
If your inch bag is intended to be used on foot here is an option to help move the load. Even the wife could push a good load of gear this way. Just rig up one of those joggers strollers. Just an idea.

Inor
08-01-2015, 10:59 AM
If your inch bag is intended to be used on foot here is an option to help move the load. Even the wife could push a good load of gear this way. Just rig up one of those joggers strollers. Just an idea.

When you and the wife start pinching out kids I can see you pushing them around in that exact setup! :biglaugh:

DerBiermeister
08-01-2015, 01:44 PM

That solves a whole lot of problems not the least of which is how to carry multiple rifles

Pauls
08-01-2015, 04:52 PM
The competitors at the three gun matches use those strollers. They work - but they look silly!

James m
08-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Hand sanitizer for after bathroom use, and because the alcohol in it is flammable. It's hard to see the flame though.

Pauls
08-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Shoe polish - in the metal tin. It's wax - for fires or candle. The tin can be used to make char cloth, store fishing and sewing gear, wire for snares, and it can be used for facial camo.

Deebo
08-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Super glue.
Zipties
Extra bic lighters.

hawgrider
08-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Good Idea. I also have a deer cart that could be used.

Sparkyprep
08-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Something odd in my bag.......

Figure 9 carabiner

Tks
08-02-2015, 08:49 PM
I picked up these today on a trip to the dollar store. It's compressed toilet paperesk towelettes. Found them on Amazon after getting home and looking up reviews of them. Pretty impressive from the reviews.

Ez-towels (2) bags of 50 pieces each with handy travel tubes of 10 in each bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008859QT0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qBSVvb6ESNY3W

Inor
08-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Something odd in my bag.......

Figure 9 carabiner

Okay, I'll bite. What is it for?

Pauls
08-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Not falling!

Sparkyprep
08-03-2015, 06:28 AM
Okay, I'll bite. What is it for?

It is a cheater. It is for cinching up rope, tight, and then securing, without having to tie a knot.

Reptilicus
08-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Picked up a few of these today. You just never know!!! Look very concealable, especially if you remove the outer ring, or leave it on and just carry in your change pocket!!1626

Tks
08-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Picked up a few of these today. You just never know!!! Look very concealable, especially if you remove the outer ring, or leave it on and just carry in your change pocket!!1626
Where did you get that?

I do keep lock picking sets that come in the form a credit card. I picked them up on Woot a few years ago. Hubs keeps one in his lunch box for unlocking gang boxes when the "accidentally" get padlocked by another shift. He says it works great.

Reptilicus
08-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Where did you get that?

I do keep lock picking sets that come in the form a credit card. I picked them up on Woot a few years ago. Hubs keeps one in his lunch box for unlocking gang boxes when the "accidentally" get padlocked by another shift. He says it works great.

I stopped in at the local VFW for a cold brew this afternoon and a buddy had some of them!! Said he picked them up this past weekend at a flea market in Dallas!! $2.00 apiece so I got 10. Could prove to be priceless in bad situation!!! And they do actually work, already put one to the test!!!

Tks
08-03-2015, 09:32 PM
I stopped in at the local VFW for a cold brew this afternoon and a buddy had some of them!! Said he picked them up this past weekend at a flea market in Dallas!! $2.00 apiece so I got 10. Could prove to be priceless in bad situation!!! And they do actually work, already put one to the test!!!
Dang, I was hoping you got them online. I'm going to have to keep an eye open. What a deal!!

Reptilicus
08-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Dang, I was hoping you got them online. I'm going to have to keep an eye open. What a deal!!

I just did a quick search on Ebay!! Found some like it!! Ebay item # 351387470734, listed as Universal Handcuff Key -Concealable, Plastic Composite, Double Lock-BLACK. Seller ID = autobodynow

Tks
08-03-2015, 09:57 PM
You're awesome! I'm gonna grab one for Hubs' stocking for Christmas. And probably one for everyone's stockings.

Tks
08-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Here's another odd one. A large piece of sidewalk chalk. Great for marking a path or leave messages.

James m
08-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Sidewalk chalk is also good for making up a fake crime scene for your significant other. Along with caution tape from home depot and a bunch of spent brass. :-/

Inor
08-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Sidewalk chalk is also good for making up a fake crime scene for your significant other. Along with caution tape from home depot and a bunch of spent brass. :-/

Why would you want to do that?

I suppose you could use it to make a sandwich board that says "I'm a retard" in big capital letters too. Equally a bad idea.

DerBiermeister
08-04-2015, 06:39 AM

huh?

BucketBack
08-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Fingernail clippers. Unscented Foot Powder,soap,shampoo,wipes.

No scent means hounds will have a harder time tracking you. Whether they be wild,domestic or K-9

Camo make up.

Pauls
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Dogs track you by sniffing out the dead flakes of skin and odor that you leave every place you go. There is nothing you can use to hide your trail. They can pick your particular scent out of a thousand people.

The best way do get away from dogs is to climb a tree and then travel from one tree to another down wind. It won't stop them but it will confuse them for a bit.

Reptilicus
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
???????????

hawgrider
08-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Dogs track you by sniffing out the dead flakes of skin and odor that you leave every place you go. There is nothing you can use to hide your trail. They can pick your particular scent out of a thousand people.

The best way do get away from dogs is to climb a tree and then travel from one tree to another down wind. It won't stop them but it will confuse them for a bit.Rubber boots.

BucketBack
08-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Body Condom

DerBiermeister
08-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Body Condom

I don't even want to ask ............... :ughh:

Pauls
08-05-2015, 04:35 PM
That might keep the dogs from being able to track you - how long can you hold your breath? :)

Sparkyprep
08-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Pepper spray along your path will screw up dogs for days.

Montana Rancher
08-13-2015, 01:49 AM
I started a list of things I though others would not think of, it got too long and I just decided to post a list of my current get home bag. The bag is in a tote in my truck and I also have quite a bit of clothing and a great pair of boots that are not included and may or may not be taken depending on the time of year.

Bug out bag Inventory

Voodoo Tactical black bug out bag

Attached to outside of case:
Side Kick pistol holster on belt. Glock 36 in .45 Caliber.
Streamlight ProTac HL 600 lumen flashlight (high, low and strobe functions)
Multi Tool (Snap on) on belt.
12" Heavy Knife and case with 1200 grit diamond sharpener.
Neoprene binocular sock (attached to the chest strap)
Zeiss T*P* 8x30 Binoculars with Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino Harness.
Lensatic M29 Military Compass
Military issue ear plug container
Voodoo Tactical Shotgun Case, Remington 12ga 870 Express Magnum with Pistol Grip
(Loaded with 6 Rounds 00 Buck)

1st Compartment
2 Liter Hydration Bladder
Vacuumed packed rag wool gloves and 1 pair heavy wool socks

2nd Compartment (largest)
Vacuumed packed long underwear and briefs (1)
8x ERbar 2400 calorie emergency food rations
Note Pad, 1 Bic pen, 1 Sharpie
Army Issue Bible
Black Fleece Watch Cap
8 x Duracell AAA Batteries
2x Duracell CR123 Batteries
Dyno Kwick Pick lock picking tool
Sunglass repair tool with screws
Spool of military issue snare/trip wire
Bottle of water purification tablets
Quart sized bag with 2 large black garbage can bags inside.

Quart sized zip lock with:
6 pkgs Tums powder
2 tubes Chapstick
1 Package gum
Toothbrush and paste
Wine cork (char for face paint)
Camp soap concentrate
Fingernail clipper and tweezers
1/2 oz Break Free CLP (gun clean/lube) individually wrapped
1.25 fluid ounces of Ben's insect repellent with Deet (individually wrapped)
12 x 8" zip ties
6 x premoistened lens cleaning cloths.
Talcum powder

Quart sized zip lock with:
6 x Mini hand warmers
1 pack Glacier Gel blister and burn dressings
1 pack Adventure Kits Moleskin precut blister dressings.
1 sterile suture kit 2-0 needle
12 Alcohol swabs.
3.5 inch mosquito curved forceps
Small EMT scissors

Quart size zip lock with:
Gun silicone cloth
Roll of cotton athletic tape
Roll of electrical tape
50' of 550 paracord
Several dental picks
Bandaids (various)
5 box knife blades in a holder
30 Ibuprofen

Quart size zip lock with
5 home made fire starter blocks vacuumed packed with farmers matches.
Swedish Firesteel fire starter
Town Pump butane lighter
El cheapo survival blanket
OD green triangle bandage

Compartment 2
Vacuumed packed roll of toilet paper
14" x 26" hand towel
Green mosquito netting for hat
Boonie hat
24 Ounce metal cup
Adventure Medical S.O.L. Thermal Bivvy Sack
Leather work gloves
Zennioptical 704015 prescription glasses with tinted ballistic shield (flips up for clear lens)
Extra 25 Rounds of Federal Personal Defense .45 rounds.
Zip lock bag with disposable gloves.
Plastic container (about 1oz) of Bag Balm (antibiotic/anti chap)
20 Morgan Silver Dollars in a tube.
2 Midland GMRS camo radios with batteries. (in case I am not alone)

Compartment 3 (very small)
5 Rounds 00 Buck
5 Rounds 12 ga. 3" slugs
Extra loaded clip for the Glock

Misc Items in pack to be transferred to pockets or worn
Swiss Army knife
Small AAA flashlight with red lens (1 battery)

Total weight 31 pounds with the 870 shotgun being 8.3 pounds of that which I have a scabbard for but plan to carry, that leaves a 24 pound pack which I believe I can carry 15 miles a night with relative ease.

DerBiermeister
08-19-2015, 11:40 PM

http://theoutdoortradingpost.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=1620

Ark -- That doesn't look like it was converted from a baby stroller -- looks more like it was made for what it is carrying. Do you have any details on it? Maybe a website?

Auntie
08-20-2015, 01:11 AM
I was curious the first time I saw this and found these sites:
http://www.guns.com/2015/05/29/diy-gun-carts-tactical-stroller-meets-gun-golf-caddy/
http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php/topic/13346-3-gun-cart-jogging-stroller/
http://www.gunstrollers.com/

DerBiermeister
08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
I did some searching around myself last night -- found this one from an outfit in SD.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=308/category_id=178/mode=prod/prd308.htm

It has some very nice features, like the adjustable handle bar for one.

Here is their video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfLY7LnYeWc

I called them this morning, got all my questions answered and bought the cart, which will arrive at my house on Monday.

Tks
08-20-2015, 12:18 PM
I did some searching around myself last night -- found this one from an outfit in SD.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=308/category_id=178/mode=prod/prd308.htm

It has some very nice features, like the adjustable handle bar for one.

Here is their video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfLY7LnYeWc

I called them this morning, got all my questions answered and bought the cart, which will arrive at my house on Monday.
Post pics when you get it!

Slippy
08-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Powdered Fiber like Metamucil.

Many of the long term storage foods may bind you up tighter than Dick's Hat Band. Fiber will loosen it up.

Inor
08-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Powdered Fiber like Metamucil.

Many of the long term storage foods may bind you up tighter than Dick's Hat Band. Fiber will loosen it up.

Excellent idea! At our age, even normal foods in a stress situation can bind me up tighter than Dick's Hat Band.

Auntie
08-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Senna tea would work and provide a warm cup of tea.

MoreAmmoOK
08-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Fine ground black pepper. For seasoning of course and it also makes a good wound treatment. Good clotting agent with antibiotic properties.