PDA

View Full Version : ESEE Izula -- nothing fancy

DerBiermeister
08-02-2015, 08:56 AM
But it may just be the finest small fixed-blade knife you will ever find.
I wanted a back-up survival knife, but small so that it would easily fit under the front slot on my Maxpedition Janus pouch. The ESEE Izula is perfect for what I wanted. I debated for awhile over the Izula or the Izula II, the handle of which is approx. 1/2 inch longer. Now that I have it, I made the right choice.

My hand is between Large and Extra Large, so the knife felt a bit small. But I knew when ordering that would be the case, and so I planned on adding some paracord to the pommel finishing with a lanyard. I admit to being a complete novice when it comes to paracord braiding, but I WAS able to fashion what I wanted.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/Der1/001_zpsvlhpawun.jpg

Now the knife feels great in my hand, and I can retrieve it quickly from the Janus pouch.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/Der1/002_zpsvei0qwfe.jpg

I have a nice small collection of quality knives, but I have never received one so sharp right from the factory as the Izula. Scary sharp is the only way to describe it. On the literature, they state "NOTE: The Izula edge is sharpened by hand to approximately 20 degrees". The angle is nice to know, as I have a very good knife sharpening kit from KME. Seldom do you ever see a new knife hand-sharpened OR the manufacturer providing the angle. Two more Kudos for ESEE.

My package also included an Izula Update Kit, which basically is a belt mounting device and the necessary hardware to attach it to the Izula sheath. The sheath btw is very well made and secures the knife exceptionally well. It will never fail on you.

When ordering, I wasn't sure if I would be happy with the Olive Drab color - but now that I have it, I really like it. It is quite dark in color and the green is subtle.

Update
As I forget to mention, but Ark reminded me -- the knife comes with a no bullshit lifetime warrenty. What's not to like?

James m
08-02-2015, 11:58 AM
That looks nice is something like a neck knife

hawgrider
08-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Nice touch with the beer mug... beerman!

DerBiermeister
08-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Nice touch with the beer mug... beerman!

That was a patch I for sure had to have

Inor
08-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Nice rig Beer Man!

Arklatex
08-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I can attest to everything he says about them. I own the Izula 2 in the same green. I usually run without the clip as the sheath fits perfectly in the 5th pocket on a pair of Levis. This knife sees a lot of carry time. Sometimes edc, sometimes in the ghb, sometimes in the truck console. Had mine over a year now. I really like the canvas micarta scales. The warranty on these things is no questions asked lifetime replacement. I like that.

Arklatex
08-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Here is the pic of mine

Infidel
08-02-2015, 07:45 PM
They're good looking knives, good to know they're such a quality piece. They seem to be priced pretty well too. Seems though looking at amazon that you have to buy the handle pieces separately or buy it with the survival kit, is this the case or did I miss the one that came with the handles? I suppose making handles for it wouldn't bee too hard but sure would be nice to have the hardware to attach it.

-Infidel

DerBiermeister
08-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Seems though looking at amazon that you have to buy the handle pieces separately or buy it with the survival kit, is this the case or did I miss the one that came with the handles? I suppose making handles for it wouldn't bee too hard but sure would be nice to have the hardware to attach it.

-Infidel

No, you have a lot of choice -- with or without the Micarta handles for the Izula. They even make one with black G10 handles.
On the handleless version (figure around $20 bucks less), you can choose

IZULA-B (Black, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-DT(Desert Tan, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-OD (Olive Drab, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-P (Pink, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-VG (Venom Green Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-PURP (Purple Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-DE (Dark Earth Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-SS (440C Stainless Steel Knife & Sheath Only)

With the Micarta handle versions, I believe you can also get all or most of the same colors.

The Survival Kit really has nothing to do with the handles. You can buy the Survival Kit + knife in two versions -- one version for the Izula has the knife w/o handles, and the other version with handles. Or you can simply buy the Survival Kit without any knife.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yY08KeL3L._SX355_.jpg

When you go a bit larger to the Izula II, the blade is exactly the same, but the handle is 1/2" longer and there are no versions without handles.

Part of that kit is the belt clip that you can attach directly to the sheath. But as I said earlier, they sent that to me as an Upgrade for my Izula -- at no additional cost. As a teaser, they also sent me one of their Survival cards (about the size of a credit card), with lots of good info. I have since ordered their deck of Survival cards (4 cards for about $10 bucks) and their navigation cards (about $11 bucks) that complement use of a compass and topo maps.

I am so hooked on the ESEE knives that I am sure this Izula will not be my last.
While I don't really need one, I will probably eventually buy their big boy -- the Junglas (pronounced "Hoonglas")

http://www.amazon.com/ESEE-Knives-ESEE-JUNGLAS-Canvas-Micarta/dp/B007BO2ENE

Surely, if I talk to myself long enough, I can convince myself that I actually need a small machete -- LOL

OSFG
08-02-2015, 10:41 PM
No, you have a lot of choice -- with or without the Micarta handles for the Izula. They even make one with black G10 handles.
On the handleless version (figure around $20 bucks less), you can choose

IZULA-B (Black, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-DT(Desert Tan, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-OD (Olive Drab, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-P (Pink, Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-VG (Venom Green Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-PURP (Purple Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-DE (Dark Earth Knife & Sheath Only)
IZULA-SS (440C Stainless Steel Knife & Sheath Only)

With the Micarta handle versions, I believe you can also get all or most of the same colors.

The Survival Kit really has nothing to do with the handles. You can buy the Survival Kit + knife in two versions -- one version for the Izula has the knife w/o handles, and the other version with handles. Or you can simply buy the Survival Kit without any knife.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yY08KeL3L._SX355_.jpg

When you go a bit larger to the Izula II, everything is similar except there are no versions without handles.

Part of that kit is the belt clip that you can attach directly to the sheath. But as I said earlier, they sent that to me as an Upgrade for my Izula -- at no additional cost. As a teaser, they also sent me one of their Survival cards (about the size of a credit card), with lots of good info. I have since ordered their deck of Survival cards (4 cards for about $10 bucks) and their navigation cards (about $11 bucks) that complement use of a compass and topo maps.

I am so hooked on the ESEE knives that I am sure this Izula will not be my last.
While I don't really need one, I will probably eventually buy their big boy -- the Junglas (pronounced "Hoonglas")

http://www.amazon.com/ESEE-Knives-ESEE-JUNGLAS-Canvas-Micarta/dp/B007BO2ENE

Surely, if I talk to myself long enough, I can convince myself that I actually need a small machete -- LOL

Im hoping they come out with the: IZULA-MTC knife soon

IZULA - muslim throat cutter. Sold with a bacon fat lubrication rag and a Christian cross sharpening stone. and an Infidel sheath made of Pig skin.

Reptilicus
08-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Nice!!!!

Infidel
08-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Im hoping they come out with the: IZULA-MTC knife soon

IZULA - muslim throat cutter. Sold with a bacon fat lubrication rag and a Christian cross sharpening stone. and an Infidel sheath made of Pig skin.

Hell if they decide not to make that sheath I've got a piece of pigskin here that would make a nice sheath liner, I used it on a holster for a Glock for a guy at work. Told him it was Muslim repellent.

-Infidel

DerBiermeister
01-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Been reading the past few days about knife restrictions, etc.

You gotta know the Knife Police would have a field day with the JUNGLAS. 10.375" of cold steel to fit OSFG's criteria for the MTC. And if it is as sharp as the IZULA (which I am sure it is) -- then HOLY CRAP, bring on the Muslim bastards. Overall length 16.5"

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9zz2Tp2tEWg/maxresdefault.jpg

Infidel
01-01-2016, 03:56 PM
That's a big knife for sure. I find myself drawn to large knives for some reason, not Machete big but in between Bowie and Machete is about right for me. I couldn't for the life of me tell you why as they're not terribly practical as anything other than a chopper or fighting knife and truth be told I don't plan on doing much knife fighting.

-Infidel

DerBiermeister
01-01-2016, 05:46 PM
That's a big knife for sure. I find myself drawn to large knives for some reason, not Machete big but in between Bowie and Machete is about right for me. I couldn't for the life of me tell you why as they're not terribly practical as anything other than a chopper or fighting knife and truth be told I don't plan on doing much knife fighting.

-Infidel

Same here -- but I should would like to "connect" with it, just one time, right at the neck line of some camel humper.