PDA

View Full Version : When is enough, enough?

Coppertop
08-19-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't know if we have discussed this but when is enough stuff enough? I was reading an article the other day about what to have in a Go-Bag for medics. This article crossed over some from what we would need today along with some things we would need if SHTF. I'm all for having what you could need but holy cow.

The article stated that I need 4 scalpels. Ok, first off- I can't use them today. They do me absolutely no good to pack around because I cannot break the skin on someone with anything and keep my license. At this point I cannot even put a needle in. After the SHTF, A scalpel would get me through a few bullet wounds or whatever, but everyone will have a knife anyhow and there is no difference between a sharp knife and a scalpel after the sterile seal is broken. Why pack the weight when I don't need to?

As far as needles go, the crew is working on getting Med and IV endorsements. That will help a bunch now and SHTF. My question is how much IV solution do I want to pack around? The article said to have 10-12 bags with you. Two or three bags gets pretty heavy pretty quick, and it takes up a LOT of room in my bag I can use for other stuff. I can use sterile water out of a plastic bottle if I needed to and not pack it around. All I have to carry is the needles and tubing. Meds are pretty light, but they do deteriorate fairly quickly. Packing around a full pharmacy isn't my idea of what is needed either. How long am I providing life for someone if I supply them with a medication and it runs out in another week though. How much of what we would be able to do (medically or not) is just a stop gap measure that prolongs life a few hours/days instead of saving our lives?

I know there is difference in having a stocked "pantry" and what you would be packing out with you if you had to "bug out" but there is also only so much one person can do.

What are your thoughts on both the big picture of having too much stuff and the smaller picture of what is really necessary to pack with you (I don't mean just medical). Knowledge is a light weight survival tool, but without some basic gear-some of that knowledge is useless.

Thanks - I hope I made some kind of sense.

Sparkyprep
08-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Just another reason that "bugging out" makes no sense. If you didn't have to tote it, too much is never enough. When you have to keep everything on your back, or even in a vehicle, you have to start making some hard choices. If you left the I.V.'s behind, could someone die because you did? Sure. But, what is the probability that if you lugged it with you, that it would save a life? Pretty low.

Deebo
08-19-2015, 03:01 PM
I couldn't carry half of my stuff.
Bugging out, is really not an option.
Of course, I could, but I would be leaving a pretty "ok" setup for someone else.
Hope it doesn't need to be found out soon.

Pauls
08-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Coppertop,
Empty IV bags weigh very little and you can carry the dry chemicals to make the solutions. All you need is sterile water. With the right needle selection you can even have blood donated and administered.
I have zero medical background so the above may be full of holes but I have empty IV bags in my large med kit. I keep a lot of stuff that could be used by a professional that I would have no business using under any conditions.

Auntie
08-19-2015, 10:44 PM
No matter how much you plan and prepare there will be something you need that you don't have. Make sure you have something to barter with so you can get it.

Pauls
08-19-2015, 10:52 PM
I have more to barter with than most.

Montana Rancher
08-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Just another reason that "bugging out" makes no sense. If you didn't have to tote it, too much is never enough. When you have to keep everything on your back, or even in a vehicle, you have to start making some hard choices. If you left the I.V.'s behind, could someone die because you did? Sure. But, what is the probability that if you lugged it with you, that it would save a life? Pretty low.

I don't know if we have discussed this but when is enough stuff enough? I was reading an article the other day about what to have in a Go-Bag for medics. This article crossed over some from what we would need today along with some things we would need if SHTF. I'm all for having what you could need but holy cow.

The article stated that I need 4 scalpels. Ok, first off- I can't use them today. They do me absolutely no good to pack around because I cannot break the skin on someone with anything and keep my license. At this point I cannot even put a needle in. After the SHTF, A scalpel would get me through a few bullet wounds or whatever, but everyone will have a knife anyhow and there is no difference between a sharp knife and a scalpel after the sterile seal is broken. Why pack the weight when I don't need to?

As far as needles go, the crew is working on getting Med and IV endorsements. That will help a bunch now and SHTF. My question is how much IV solution do I want to pack around? The article said to have 10-12 bags with you. Two or three bags gets pretty heavy pretty quick, and it takes up a LOT of room in my bag I can use for other stuff. I can use sterile water out of a plastic bottle if I needed to and not pack it around. All I have to carry is the needles and tubing. Meds are pretty light, but they do deteriorate fairly quickly. Packing around a full pharmacy isn't my idea of what is needed either. How long am I providing life for someone if I supply them with a medication and it runs out in another week though. How much of what we would be able to do (medically or not) is just a stop gap measure that prolongs life a few hours/days instead of saving our lives?

I know there is difference in having a stocked "pantry" and what you would be packing out with you if you had to "bug out" but there is also only so much one person can do.

What are your thoughts on both the big picture of having too much stuff and the smaller picture of what is really necessary to pack with you (I don't mean just medical). Knowledge is a light weight survival tool, but without some basic gear-some of that knowledge is useless.

Thanks - I hope I made some kind of sense.

I totally understand your frustration, I live with a RN and my son is a combat medic. They both see things as very harsh SHTF and you have no access to a hospital. Administering IV's for gun shot wounds will only waste resources trying to save the dying.

Ok I'm not trying to beat around the bush so here, if you get a gun shot wound your best bet is amputation, unless it is in the trunk of the body and then you will die. We are talking 1900's medicine here.

But always remember the basics:

http://www.amazon.com/Where-There-Is-No-Doctor/dp/0942364155

Baglady
08-26-2015, 11:00 AM
I do have a medical BOB, as well as our personal BOB's, in the event that we have to hit the woods.
My first thoughts when I put them together, was to keep the bags as light as possible.
Knowing what we would need in the woods, I packed accordingly.
Playing out scenarios in my head, like, what do we need in case of a broken bone.
I don't have access to much, so I'm sure we will lack a lot.
Just have to wing it.

RoughRider
09-05-2015, 01:32 AM
BOB's are just to get you there. I think light and fast for bugging. Just the basics, and if it's a gunshot wound, I just don't know how much good you can do. Pack it full of sterile "whatever-you-have" and hold that in place 'till you get to the BOL. I've got sewing kit, fishing kit, small cooking kit, some food (enough for 3 days for 2 people. It won't be gourmet, but will give protein and calories), a knife, extra ammo, extra clothes (think scrubs from a thrift store; light weight, extra wool socks), and candles, flashlight, matches, fire starter, $10.00 in quarters, a couple of bandanas, basic first aid kit. It's not light, but do-able. I can't run to save my hide anyway, so walking will have to do.

I think just avoiding anyone else - even if you know them - will be important. Unless I can absolutely trust the other person, I'm going to avoid them. I don't want to tangle with anyone, because other than my brothers? I've never been in a fight. I'd just as soon keep it that way.

Inor
09-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Don't forget you feet. If you are walking and get blisters, you are done for. I keep several pairs of extra socks as well as moleskin in my pack. Also, as I think on it, some powder might not be a bad idea. I do not have any in my pack right now. But I think I will add a small can of it this afternoon.