PDA

View Full Version : How ready are you?

Auntie
08-24-2015, 09:05 AM
With all this talk about another end of days scenario, and wall street tumbling again do you feel like you are ready for it? How long do you think you will be able to feed and protect your family with your current supplies? What is one thing do you feel like you need to address? I have been so busy canning it sure isn't food. Someone in my offline life says that they need to address their relationship with God, maybe I shouldn't have lent her the book, Left Behind.

Inor
08-24-2015, 09:59 AM
I do not think the recent chaos on Wall Street is the "it" we all worry about. Wall Street has been on a straight up trajectory for the last 5 years while the Main Street economy has been almost flat. Wall Street is supposed to reflect the real economy on Main Street, not the other way around. This is just the start of a readjustment that is necessary to bring the stock markets back into alignment with the reality that all of us live in.

Edit: But this is a good wake up call. So do not ignore it entirely.

Sarge7402
08-24-2015, 01:07 PM
With all this talk about another end of days scenario, and wall street tumbling again do you feel like you are ready for it? How long do you think you will be able to feed and protect your family with your current supplies? What is one thing do you feel like you need to address? I have been so busy canning it sure isn't food. Someone in my offline life says that they need to address their relationship with God, maybe I shouldn't have lent her the book, Left Behind.

Think you've just had a bit too much of M&M's. Take a deep breath and maybe a long pull at the Bourbon bottle and lighten up. While things may look bad, keep in mind what the United States is capable of if she just rolls up her sleeves and gets to work. We have enough oil to keeps us going for many years. We are still one of the largest bread baskets in the world. If we stopped shipping wheat, corn soy beans and the like and quite using corn as a substitute fuel, we have enough food to feed our population for years. We have a great untapped labor pool that just needs a mission, and the get up and go to start it that we can most likely eliminate all imports into this country.

Is the end of the world coming? Sure, but in our lifetimes'? Doubt it

Auntie
08-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Hey Sarge - thanks for the kick in the bum! You are right, there just seems to be so much bad news, Korea, stock market, Russia/Putin, LEOs getting shot, rioting, black pride, protests, strange weather (I got no pickling cucumbers this year and had to buy them), food costs rising. Jackass soon to be ex brother in laws not paying child support, the roof leaking, the floor getting damaged, the water line breaking (I hate getting under the house), the fox eating our chickens, replacing our chickens then another fox, replacing chickens with ones that don't lay like they should. Sometimes I let the news and people get to me. *deep breath* *deep breath* *deep breath* *deep breath* yikes light headed HAHAHA

Okay positive attitude back again. Sometimes I just need a swift kick in the bum to bring me back to reality and remember that God doesn't give me more than I can handle.

dsdmmat
08-24-2015, 05:38 PM
I'd be more worried about some lone crackhead shooting up some place I frequent than the stock market crashing and a new depression starting.

Inor
08-24-2015, 07:06 PM
I'd be more worried about some lone crackhead shooting up some place I frequent than the stock market crashing and a new depression starting.

I would not be worried at all about a stock market crash and a new depression starting. Actually, that is about the only thing that will restart the economy on a stable footing again. Depressions are part of the normal ebb and flow of the economy. It is simply a period of price readjustment relative to the value of commodities. It is NORMAL and it is necessary. For the last 40+ years we have been so afraid of the "D" word that we have totally screwed up the whole supply and demand curve to avoid a reset that is perfectly natural and healthy in the end.

So now, when it does happen, because it has to eventually happen, it will be more painful than it otherwise would have been if we had just let economics take its course. Had we let the markets fail in 2008, they would have reset and we would be in a period of crazy growth by now.

Sparkyprep
08-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Wall Street has been running on imaginary money for too long. Time for a reality check. My investments will take a short-term hit, but since I am in it for the long haul, it will be better in the end.

Baglady
08-25-2015, 10:06 PM
In answer to your question, Auntie, No. My household is not ready for long term self sufficiency. We still have a ways to go to provide for our animals, and some projects like a new roof, that have to be done. That cuts into an already small budget. But, we're plugging away at it, and have a lot of resources at hand.

Sarge7402
08-26-2015, 04:52 AM
Hey Sarge - thanks for the kick in the bum! You are right, there just seems to be so much bad news, Korea, stock market, Russia/Putin, LEOs getting shot, rioting, black pride, protests, strange weather (I got no pickling cucumbers this year and had to buy them), food costs rising. Jackass soon to be ex brother in laws not paying child support, the roof leaking, the floor getting damaged, the water line breaking (I hate getting under the house), the fox eating our chickens, replacing our chickens then another fox, replacing chickens with ones that don't lay like they should. Sometimes I let the news and people get to me. *deep breath* *deep breath* *deep breath* *deep breath* yikes light headed HAHAHA

Okay positive attitude back again. Sometimes I just need a swift kick in the bum to bring me back to reality and remember that God doesn't give me more than I can handle.

Glad I could help. Wifee had to do it to me a couple of weeks ago when I didn't get a job I really wanted.

Reptilicus
08-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Bring It On CUPCAKE!!!! I'm your Huckleberry!!

Auntie
08-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Baglady did you see my post on ... about the spent grains? There are a lot of uses for them. We just picked up another load, this one was small only about 100 lbs wet weight.