PDA

View Full Version : Canning so far this year

Auntie
08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
We have canned salsa, pineapple chunks (77 cents at a local store), peach slices (some spiced), peach jam, pear and ginger jam, peach syrup/honey, potatoes and carrots, carrots, potatoes.

Today we are working on pickles; sweet, bread and butter and kosher dill. We are also pressure canning green beans.

Tks
08-25-2015, 02:28 PM
OM goodness that all looks and sounds so amazing. That's a lot of hard work sitting on that table.

Auntie
08-25-2015, 03:49 PM
We aren't even 1/2 way done with what we want to accomplish this year. It is a lot of work, my hands hurt from all the peeling and slicing, my sister got me a mandolin so that should help, especially with the apples.

Baglady
08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Good job! We didn't have any success canning potatoes, so we keep ours on shelves behind the tractor shed, covered with hay. Of course yours will last longer. At least the green beans are easy, after all your peeling.
Canning deer/beef stew is great too. And spaghetti sauce. Chicken is pretty easy too, but it takes a lot of chicken to fill just a few jars.

Auntie
08-25-2015, 10:06 PM
I found that if I can potatoes and carrots the boys are more willing to eat them, because all they have to do is open a jar and heat them up. The green beans and pickles are so easy to do!

Baglady
08-25-2015, 10:11 PM
I'm a big fan of carrots and taters together too. I have yet to grow any carrots. We're always too late when the weather gets right for planting. Our lettuce and cabbage didn't do any good this year either. :(

Inor
08-25-2015, 10:32 PM
I found that if I can potatoes and carrots the boys are more willing to eat them, because all they have to do is open a jar and heat them up. The green beans and pickles are so easy to do!

Mrs Inor started canning potatoes a few years back. I find the canned potatoes taste more potatoey than fresh! :biglaugh:

Auntie
08-25-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm a big fan of carrots and taters together too. I have yet to grow any carrots. We're always too late when the weather gets right for planting. Our lettuce and cabbage didn't do any good this year either. :(

We call those tugboat potatoes. The boys love them! I had to get my carrots from a farmer this year, about 40lbs was $12.00.

Auntie
08-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Inor, the boys agree that the canned potatoes are better. I still think it is because they don't have to cook them.