PDA

View Full Version : 5 Survival Uses of the Black Walnut Tree

hawgrider
08-28-2015, 11:20 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/sites/outdoorlife.com/files/styles/article_image_full/public/walnut.jpg?itok=3N-FDhC_

There are many natural signs each year that herald the approach of the fall season, but here in Virginia, the first one is the dropping of walnut leaves. Often the last trees to leaf out in spring, black walnuts and their cousin the butternut walnut begin dropping their leaves in August and signal that cooler weather is coming soon. Primarily found in the Midwest and Eastern United States,
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/survival-skills-5-survival-uses-black-walnut-tree

Inor
08-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Whatever you do, do NOT let your animals near any black walnut sawdust or shavings if you use the wood. It contains an oil that is extremely harmful to most animals. It will kill a horse if they stand in too much of it and it is not good for dogs either.

Infidel
09-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Those green hulls on the nuts will stain steel. I've used it as a kind of rust preventative on a knife. It's much like a bluing in that it will give the steel a blackish patina and retard the rusting process a bit. The steel will still need oil, just not as often. Just run the inside of the hulls on the steel and let it sit a while, I followed up with some 000 steel wool to knock down the blotchiness a bitand even out the patina.

-Infidel

Arklatex
01-26-2016, 02:09 PM
I have some at casa de Arklatex. I have done the same thing as Infidel, I used the hulls to put a patina on my carbon steel Mora knife.

Arklatex
01-26-2016, 02:12 PM
You can also make a remedy for poison ivy with the leaves. Just cram as many as you can into a mason jar and then pour everclear on it. Let it work for a day or 5 and you have the remedy. It will keep on the shelf for a long time.

Baglady
01-26-2016, 02:24 PM
You can also make a remedy for poison ivy with the leaves. Just cram as many as you can into a mason jar and then pour everclear on it. Let it work for a day or 5 and you have the remedy. It will keep on the shelf for a long time.
Good idea! Then you drink the solution, and cannot feel the aggravatin itch of the poison ivy! :biglaugh:

hawgrider
01-26-2016, 02:29 PM
You can also make a remedy for poison ivy with the leaves. Just cram as many as you can into a mason jar and then pour everclear on it. Let it work for a day or 5 and you have the remedy. It will keep on the shelf for a long time.Good tip Ark I didn't know that.

shootbrownelk
01-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Those green hulls on the nuts will stain steel. I've used it as a kind of rust preventative on a knife. It's much like a bluing in that it will give the steel a blackish patina and retard the rusting process a bit. The steel will still need oil, just not as often. Just run the inside of the hulls on the steel and let it sit a while, I followed up with some 000 steel wool to knock down the blotchiness a bitand even out the patina.

-Infidel I used walnut hulls in a potion that I boiled & blackened traps in. Worked real well, traps got darkened and the oil & steel scent removed. That was a long time ago when I trapped muskrats, mink and raccoon when I was a teen in Wisconsin.