PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy warded locks.

Arklatex
08-30-2015, 03:34 PM
I had a problem at work recently regarding some missing tools a trainee left out. Come back from being off and they are gone. My fault for not checking that trainee had put em all up. Anyway one of the other crews is famous for taking anything left out. Problem solving Ark did a lil research. Turns out most of the padlocks at work are the cheapo warded variety. Commonly sold at Walmart. Like this:

Here is the keyhole. It's a jagged shape.

Turns out if you do a little creative grinding you can make yourself a master key of sorts for this type of lock. I did it and was successful in opening every locker at work and not only did I find the missing tools and leave a nasty note before re locking their stuff up. But I found missing things of mine I didn't even know we're missing in other places... please note that this should only be used for good. Here is a picture of the master key I made. It does take a lil practice to figure out how to use. You don't just shove it balls deep and turn. But once you know how warded locks operate it's easy.

Next I will be learning pin and tumbler locks and wafer locks. IMO lockpicking is a good skill to have for both now and shtf.

Inor
08-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Excellent info Ark! Please elaborate on the process of making the master key and using it. That is a great skill to have!

James m
08-30-2015, 04:08 PM
On the locks with a combination pull down as if to open and turn the dial at the same time.

Arklatex
08-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Excellent info Ark! Please elaborate on the process of making the master key and using it. That is a great skill to have!
Here is a video explaining warded locks. The video will lead you to others on how to produce a master key.

https://youtu.be/AGF19J_5z9A

Inor
08-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Here is a video explaining warded locks. The video will lead you to others on how to produce a master key.

Awesome Ark! It is kind of like Mr Roger's Neighborhood only with lock picking! That's my kinda neighborhood!

Txwheels
08-30-2015, 07:08 PM
I just use a big hammer or bolt cutters. They work on all kinds of locks.

James m
08-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Usually the hasp is the weak point.

Tks
08-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Sounds like hubs'work. Tools mysteriously end up in the wrong gang boxes all the time. It's the reason I bought him a lick picking set. He's getting to be pretty darn good with it. He only uses it to rescue tools. Oh, and unlock electrical boxes.

RWalls
08-30-2015, 09:37 PM
I prefer to use freon, break the lock and cause global warming in one shot!

Sparkyprep
08-31-2015, 04:27 AM
Sounds like hubs'work. Tools mysteriously end up in the wrong gang boxes all the time. It's the reason I bought him a lick picking set. He's getting to be pretty darn good with it. He only uses it to rescue tools. Oh, and unlock electrical boxes.

Electrical boxes stay locked for a reason.

Txwheels
08-31-2015, 05:53 AM

I've never had to pick or break a lick..

MI.oldguy
08-31-2015, 10:32 AM
Had one of those for years,forgot where it was.you all would be suprised how many m-1,m-4 and m-5 master lock keys are keyed.they only have so many combos.I have master lock keys I found to fit about 3 in 5 master padlocks.

rice paddy daddy
08-31-2015, 01:45 PM

I learned that trick many years ago.
I will not buy those type locks.