PDA

View Full Version : Canning jars

Auntie
09-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Canning jars are $7.00 per dozen at ace Hardware.

Tks
09-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Nice! I'll be checking our local one out tomorrow. Thanks.

Baglady
09-02-2015, 03:29 PM
We lucked out this summer and found an ad in the paper for canning jars. Some guy was cleaning out his shed. We got 10+ dozen, for $25 dollars.
Add that to all the jars we already had, and we're fixed up for life.
We do find some at yard sales too.
$7 dollars is the lowest you'll find them at a store for sure.

Auntie
09-02-2015, 05:20 PM
We have been picking them up at yard sales and thrift stores. We just never seem to have enough jars.

Tks
09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
I haven't been able to find canning jars at thrift stores in a long time around here, which sucks. Occasionally I'll find one or two but even then sometimes it's cheaper to buy new. Some of the thrift stores around here have forgot they are thrift stores and not antique malls.

Auntie
09-02-2015, 08:24 PM
I haven't been able to find canning jars at thrift stores in a long time around here, which sucks. Occasionally I'll find one or two but even then sometimes it's cheaper to buy new. Some of the thrift stores around here have forgot they are thrift stores and not antique malls.

So very true. I have the best luck at very rural thrift stores. Goodwill doesn't ever have them I think the employees get them.

Tks
09-02-2015, 08:46 PM
I definitely try to stay away from Goodwill, their prices are ridiculous unless I'm going after dvd's. I saw a pair of jeans there a few weeks ago that $50! They also had a fake coach purse for $100.

Dwight55
09-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Hit a basement sale the other day, . . . bright sunlight then into the dungeon, . . . couldn't see for a few minutes hardly.

When I started looking around, . . . here's this big old cardboard box full of pint jars, . . . big "FREE" sign on the end of it. Thought I hit a gold mine.

Started looking close when my eyesight got better. They were all commercial jelly jars or mayo jars.

I left em. Won't take a chance on all that hard work going "whoopsie" in a cheap jar.

May God bless,
Dwight

Auntie
09-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Hit a basement sale the other day, . . . bright sunlight then into the dungeon, . . . couldn't see for a few minutes hardly.

When I started looking around, . . . here's this big old cardboard box full of pint jars, . . . big "FREE" sign on the end of it. Thought I hit a gold mine.

Started looking close when my eyesight got better. They were all commercial jelly jars or mayo jars.

I left em. Won't take a chance on all that hard work going "whoopsie" in a cheap jar.

May God bless,
Dwight

I use those for storing dried veggies, such as onions and garlic. They work real well for that purpose.

Dwight55
09-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Yeah, Auntie, they have their purposes, . . . but I was really bummed that day, . . . thought I hit a big strike, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Sparkyprep
09-07-2015, 05:33 PM
I definitely try to stay away from Goodwill, their prices are ridiculous unless I'm going after dvd's. I saw a pair of jeans there a few weeks ago that $50! They also had a fake coach purse for $100.

Something about Goodwill that most people don't realize-

Goodwill is NOT a charity. It is a business, and holds no special designation as a charity, despite their intentional reputation. They sell inventory that was given to them for free. The CEO is a billionaire. This, in its own right, is ok with me, but what I have a problem with is their intentional mis- representation as some sort of charity, who is there to "help their community". Be aware, you get charitable tax credit because you donated, not because of who you donated to.

Auntie
09-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Don't forget that the employees they hire that have special needs make about .75c to 1.00 an hour.

Baglady
09-07-2015, 05:59 PM
We hit some more yard sales Sat. Got another 40 canning jars for $5! Mostly pints, which is what we use the most of. Now we probably have over 300 jars. Love yard sales!

Sparkyprep
09-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Yard sales are the best.

Baglady
09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Yard sales are the best.YEP. Tho sometimes folks think their used stuff is worth as much as it was new...(!)
There were several old cast iron pots and griddles at one place. They wanted $50 for the griddles!!
Another place, a woman wanted $100 for a set of new curtains for 2 windows. She said because she paid $200 for them.
I bet she ended up keeping them!