PDA

View Full Version : Review: Lock Picking School in a Box

Inor
09-03-2015, 10:26 PM
My travel schedule has been brutal this year, so I took this week and next off of work. Of course I have my usual honey-do list plus a pretty tough project going in my wood shop. But I also thought I would take some time to learn a new skill: breaking and entering.

So, I bought a lock picking set and a lock picking training kit called: Lock Picking School in a Box.

https://www.lockpickshop.com/ST-23.html

The training kit came with 4 picks and tension wrench. But from the pictures, the wrench and picks looked like pretty questionable quality. They do not have any handles or anything on them, but they do seem to be made from a decent quality spring steel. I think these will be my travel set that I will stash in with my survival stuff in my suitcase that I travel with. But I did also buy a small set of picks and wrenches made of good government steel. Those will be going into my BOB.

The rest of the training kit came with 5 lock cylinders that came with between 1 and 5 pins. They look like the standard Kwikset locks that a lot of tract homes come with. It also came with a pretty nice quasi-wood stand to mount the cylinders in while working with them. Finally, it came with a lock picking "book".

The book was the real reason I bought the kit because I had not seen it advertised by itself anywhere and the reviews on it were good. Overall, I was really disappointed in the book. It is more of a pamphlet, about 15 pages long. It only covers the bare bones minimum on picking a lock one pin at a time. And I did not even think it did that great of a job of describing that process. Had I not watched a bunch of YouTube videos before I ordered the set, I doubt I would have had much success with just the book.

So in short, learning lock picking with the kit works well as long as you are prepared to do your "how to" research online first. I got the set this afternoon and after playing with it for about 90 minutes, I had picked all 5 locks a minimum of 3 times each. It seems to be a skill that is either pretty easy to learn or that I naturally take to. Regardless, then I broke into my house as well as a couple Master padlocks.

The question of whether you should bother to learn lock picking is one only you can answer. It is fun as hell and I expect will have some value post SHTF or if your neighbor really pisses you off.

But I do not think I would recommend spending the money on this training kit. The locks are all the standard Kwikset variety and you can purchase cylinders at the hardware store for less than $10 each. Popping the pins out of them so you can make a set of locks of graduated difficulty is not difficult at all. The quasi-wood stand is pretty nice too, but again anybody with the mechanical ability to pick a lock could make one from scrap in less than half an hour.

So, my recommendation for learning lock picking is to spend your money on a decent set of picks and wrenches and a couple cheap lock cylinders from the hardware store. Do your learning on YouTube or maybe find a better book than the one included with the kit. In other words forego the Lock Picking School in a Box.

Reptilicus
09-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a breacher muzzle for the 12 ga. might have been easier!!!

Inor
09-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Sounds like a breacher muzzle for the 12 ga. might have been easier!!!

Actually, once I did a few times and got a feel for it, I got pretty quick. Picking each pin individually I was under 90 seconds with a 5 pin lock. Using a city rake, I was under 10 seconds consistently with a 5 pin lock. The rake attack did make some noise but I expect it would still be quieter than a 12 ga. :biglaugh:

Tks
09-03-2015, 11:27 PM
$99!? Holy cow! Watch Yugster.com around Christmas, they have cheapo credit card sized sets for $5, sometime free just shipping charges. Hubs uses his all the time, it's a cheap set but easily concealed in his wallet or lunch box. Next time I see them I'm grabbing them for the boys' stockings. Maybe getting a nice set would be a good stocking stuffer for hubs though as he uses it so much.

Pauls
09-04-2015, 02:00 AM
A really good pick set will have a different pick on each end. I have three separate sets - all for different types of locks from cabinet, homes, to automotive. Learning to pick each pin one at a time teaches you to know how many pins you are dealing with and with some locks it makes a difference. Using a rake on a single row tumbler lock is pretty easy but try a double row 6 pin lock (three in each direction). It's a bit like picking two three pin locks at the same time. When you progress to the vending machine type of lock where the pins are in a circular pattern with 5 to 7 pins then you need special picks to make it easier. I believe there are a total of 5 different sizes and each size needs its own pick. Once you have the proper tools it is easy to get into these "security locks".

The electronic locks is what I want to learn. Mechanicals are easy but the electronic locks can be as complex as the maker wants to go.

Coppertop
09-05-2015, 08:39 AM
I got a set a while back. Haven't played with them as much as I should, but I haven't had much luck with them yet. I know I'm heavy handed with them. I guess I'll spend some more time playing with them. I would like to have someone walk me through it a few times. I seem to learn mechanical stuff a lot better after I have someone with me a time or two. Once I "get" the idea, then I do really well by myself or using books/videos to upgrade my knowledge.

Thanks

Inor
09-05-2015, 01:09 PM
I found this video to be a pretty good intro level tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_w_l6X29U

Then what I have been doing the last couple mornings is just picking a 5 pin lock 3 times as I drink my morning coffee. Once you get a feel for how much tension to put on the tension wrench (barely any), it is surprisingly easy.

Edit: One trick I figured out for finding the right amount of tension on the wrench is to tape one or two quarters to the end of it. Just the weight of the quarters is enough to tension the cylinder enough to pick it.