PDA

View Full Version : The Words That Date You

buluoge6
09-20-2015, 08:27 AM
The Words That Date You

When Chicago Tribune columnist Mary Schmich used the word "slacks" in a recent column, a reader commented: "Slacks? How old are you?"

"I was describing a young man, a college guy," Schmich tells NPR's Neal Conan. "I was trying to point out that he wasn't wearing jeans, that he wasn't sloppy, that he wasn't inordinately well dressed for a guy in college," she says. "And so I used the word 'slacks.' "

But the reader's comment got Schmich thinking about the words we choose and how much those choices can reveal about our age. "I got a couple of hundred emails on this," she says, from readers who had found themselves similarly critiqued. For example, one woman wrote that her daughter mocked her for using the word "blouse," saying no one uses that word anymore it's a "top."

Sometimes, says Schmich, she knows a word she's using has fallen out of fashion and chooses it deliberately, for irony. "I say 'groovy,' and I'm saying it with a wink, but [the readers] don't know I'm saying it with a wink."

There's one standout adjective, however, that Schmich says has stood the test of time. " 'Cool' is really the only word," she says, "that has endured through generations.".

Dwight55
09-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Yeah and with all the global warming coming out of WDC, . . . we all need a little Cool here and there.

Everyone enjoys a "cool" cycle in their life.

May God bless,
Dwight

James m
09-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Damn. I really wish I could find a cheap NFL jersey link to click on right now. Oh well.

Inor
09-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Damn. I really wish I could find a cheap NFL jersey link to click on right now. Oh well.

That would be completely bitchin'.

James m
09-20-2015, 05:25 PM
You know when I clicked this I thought it would be the other date, and not time.

BucketBack
09-20-2015, 06:29 PM
When "Smoke A Fag" when smoking a cigarette

When "Gay" meant you were happy

When "Hoe" was a garden tool

When "Coke" was pop and had Cocaine in it.

James m
09-21-2015, 08:04 AM
When "Smoke A Fag" when smoking a cigarette

When "Gay" meant you were happy

When "Hoe" was a garden tool

When "Coke" was pop and had Cocaine in it.
Sounds like Obama's weekend plans.

RWalls
09-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Geez, guess I need to go in and change all his links so he gets no benefit from his :spam:

update: I will just delete them all

OSFG
09-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Fukin A

25 and a wake up

budgetprepp-n
12-15-2015, 12:33 AM
Fukin A

25 and a wake up

That's far out man

Mister Mills
02-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Here is another one...groovy.

Sasquatch
02-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Gee fella's, would you check out the gams on that broad! She's the bees knees. If you don't agree you must be a little light in the loafers and I'll give you a knuckle sandwich when we go a round or two of fisticuffs. Twenty two skiddo!

rice paddy daddy
02-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Gee fella's, would you check out the gams on that broad! She's the bees knees. If you don't agree you must be a little light in the loafers and I'll give you a knuckle sandwich when we go a round or two of fisticuffs. Twenty two skiddo!

And that ain't no jive, hep cats.

shootbrownelk
02-05-2016, 09:53 PM
8 tracks.. Beta Max...VHS....Cassette...."Hey I got that on TAPE"!

shootbrownelk
02-05-2016, 09:53 PM
that's far out man

boss!

Gunners Mate
02-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Zapped

Auntie
02-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Please, thank you, you're welcome, sir and ma'am.

A Watchman
02-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Please, thank you, you're welcome, sir and ma'am.

Well that definitely dates me then ....... I use Sir as a sign of respect .... daily. Frequently to men you are younger than me.

Infidel
02-07-2016, 10:16 AM
boss!

Actually this one is making a comeback. My kids use it all the time. Must be the new old thing in their school. Gets pretty old the 50th time you hear it.

-Infidel

Inor
02-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Well that definitely dates me then ....... I use Sir as a sign of respect .... daily. Frequently to men you are younger than me.

I am also in the habit of using Sir and Ma'am. I once had a woman take great offense when I said "yes ma'am" to her. I did not apologize nor was I interested in hearing her explanation of why it offended her.

hawgrider
02-07-2016, 12:03 PM
I am also in the habit of using Sir and Ma'am. I once had a woman take great offense when I said "yes ma'am" to her. I did not apologize nor was I interested in hearing her explanation of why it offended her.She was probably a bull dyke.

Arklatex
02-07-2016, 08:35 PM
I am also in the habit of using Sir and Ma'am. I once had a woman take great offense when I said "yes ma'am" to her. I did not apologize nor was I interested in hearing her explanation of why it offended her.
I always use Miss for unmarried women, Missus for married women and Ma'am for gals old enough to be my momma. I haven't pissed any gals off yet using that standard.