PDA

View Full Version : The 6 Best Squirrel Recipes You’ve Ever Come Across

hawgrider
09-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Yep its tree rat season-

http://cdn.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/bigstock-Gun-And-Squirrel-2456887.jpg

When the squirrel is down, what is the next step?

Some people love hunting them, but have never tasted squirrel. Others swear by their meat, claiming the deliciousness that can come out of such a small critter is unheard of.

One thing’s for sure, it’s always fun to cook up those little rascals into one tasty meal.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/6-best-squirrel-recipes-ever-pics/

shootbrownelk
09-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Squirrel meat is pretty tasty but here isn't much of it. I try to head shoot mine if possible to save as much of it as I can. How my wife made them was to parboil the quarters & backs of 3 or 4 squirrels, then brown the pieces in bacon grease. Then add to a pot with enough water to cover and boil until tender. Remove the squirrel parts and cool. Remove meat from the bones and put it back in the pot with the broth. Salt & Pepper to taste. Add desired vegetables and potatoes, simmer until the vegetables are done. It's a lot of work, but it is a good squirrel stew.
She also made it fried, but the squirrels were always tough....but even tough, they were good.

Inor
09-29-2015, 09:46 AM
That distinctive "wap" sound they make when they hit the ground never fails to crack me up. :biglaugh:

hawgrider
09-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Squirrel meat is pretty tasty but here isn't much of it. I try to head shoot mine if possible to save as much of it as I can. How my wife made them was to parboil the quarters & backs of 3 or 4 squirrels, then brown the pieces in bacon grease. Then add to a pot with enough water to cover and boil until tender. Remove the squirrel parts and cool. Remove meat from the bones and put it back in the pot with the broth. Salt & Pepper to taste. Add desired vegetables and potatoes, simmer until the vegetables are done. It's a lot of work, but it is a good squirrel stew.
She also made it fried, but the squirrels were always tough....but even tough, they were good.Best way Ive found to date is to pressure canner cook them. Absolutely fall of the bone tender. I threw 5 tree rats in the pressure canner for about 45 to 50 minutes with the spices I like and even my woman tore them up.

Yup head shot with a .22lr is the way to get the most meat. Although I have ventilated a few with a shotgun before but picking bb's out is no fun.

S.....P......
09-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Like SBE said prep is key. My favorite is squirrel and dumplings. Mrs SP makes some good dumplings too. If you can make good chicken and dumplings just use squire instead. I like to parboil mine then fry them. After frying It's back in the pot and time for making the dumplings.

hawgrider
09-29-2015, 10:12 AM
That distinctive "wap" sound they make when they hit the ground never fails to crack me up. :biglaugh:Im sure its probably not ethical but have ya ever blasted one out of a nest ? OMG too funny they come flying out like their ass is on fire:biglaugh:

Deebo
09-29-2015, 01:42 PM
I know I love them.

shootbrownelk
10-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Best way Ive found to date is to pressure canner cook them. Absolutely fall of the bone tender. I threw 5 tree rats in the pressure canner for about 45 to 50 minutes with the spices I like and even my woman tore them up.

Yup head shot with a .22lr is the way to get the most meat. Although I have ventilated a few with a shotgun before but picking bb's out is no fun.
I'll have to try that Hawg, I have a small pressure cooker that I haven't used in years!

hawgrider
10-08-2015, 07:13 AM
I'll have to try that Hawg, I have a small pressure cooker that I haven't used in years!Its really hard to tell its squirrel its so tender. My ole lady hates em. But she had to eat crow when we did them in the pressure canner.

Infidel
10-09-2015, 12:46 AM
Buttermilk fried is my favorite method of making them. My boys love them, probably more for the novelty of telling people they eat squirrel than for the meat itself. I'll have to try the buttermilk fried with gravy recipe this year.

-Infidel