PDA

View Full Version : Snacks: Bugs and Crustaceans

hawgrider
09-30-2015, 11:21 AM
What kinds of bugs should you target? Ants, crickets, grasshoppers, termites, worms, and certain kinds of beetles can make for a well-balanced meal. Grasshoppers and similar species are among the best for human consumption and can be readily collected in the morning when they gather on the top of plants. Avoid any bugs with strange odors or colorful bodies, as well as flies, mosquitoes, spiders, and other possible disease carriers. You’re also going to want to pass on bees and stinging insects because they are rarely worth the effort. Caterpillars are some of the most nutritious bugs—and according to some, the tastiest—but certain species can be toxic. They should generally be avoided unless you know which ones are safe to eat.
http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/07/08/animals-safe-eat-survival-scenario-bugs-crustaceans/

S.....P......
09-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Why not use the bugs to bait traps?

hawgrider
09-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Why not use the bugs to bait traps?
They did sorta... this video was at the bottom. Not a bug but similar principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2k1DDiBf0

James m
09-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Use the bugs for fishing.

S.....P......
09-30-2015, 12:27 PM
That is what I am talking about. Bird and fish traps. Then you are hunting while you are doing other things like collecting fire wood or preparing drinking water. Friends and I would go camping on the creek when we were kids. We would build a fish trap and then go off exploring all day. When we came back to camp we always had pan fish waiting for supper.

OSFG
09-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Folks forget that hooks can be used on land as well as water...think of how quickly you puncture your fingers with hooks now overlay that on rabbit trails, squirrel paths etc,,,hooks work regardless of the environmement...fish, ducks, rabbit squirrels...etc..... a hook hooks.

S.....P......
10-01-2015, 09:08 AM
I've heard old timers talk about using hooks with corn for turkey. This was before hunting regulations.