PDA

View Full Version : Pizza! Yeeee

FlyingSQ
10-01-2015, 02:46 PM
I have been making pizza from scratch for many years but this pizza is one of my best so far. The dough was left to rise twice in room temperature and then put into plastic bags overnight to let the dough cold ferment.

The dough is gold medal bread making flour, cold water, warm water , olive oil, yeast, sugar, salt. Very easy to make once it is not hard lol.

Here is my recipe and steps for prep and cooking.

For the yeast mixture: the yeast needs the sugar to start the fermentation process. The process is what makes the mixture foam up. I add one package of yeast and three tablespoons of white cane sugar to 1 cup of water that has a temperature of about 110 degrees. Stir this up very gently once and then let it rest for 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

For the dough: mix 3 cups of flour with 2 cups cold water. At first make a pancake type mixture with the flour,salt,olive oil ,yeast solution, and water then slowly add the rest of the flour until your dough is not sticky. I knead my dough until it is soft and not sticky and flexible somewhat. Then you shape the dough into a ball carefully by rotating the dough ball and working out any folds or tears on the surface. The idea here is to create a barrier so that the gases released from the fermentation process will not escape. Doing so will help your dough rise successfully. I let it rise in a large bowl with a wet towel over it on the stove top with the oven on to integrate more heat indirectly around the dough. This is done for around 1 hour. Once it is risen double its size or more I take it out carefully and reshape into two dough balls the same way as before and set to rise a second time until they double in size again. Then package the dough in a plastic bag in the fridge for around 16 to 18 hours until lunch or longer for dinner the next day. When you finally set up to cook the pizza let the dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes after you work it just to let it relax..the dough is softer and reacts better to the heat this way.

For the sauce: 4 garlic cloves, sea salt, 1 large can of tomato purée( I use imported Italian type), 2 teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 baby portobello mushroom, 6 leaves fresh basil, 2 dabs of franks hot sauce. Cook this low and slow for 2 hours and then put in fridge to cool overnight. Allows the flavor to mix even more.

Toppings I used on this one was mozzarella and Romano cheese, red onion, yellow bell pepper, ham, bacon, red pepper flake, cumin, basil.

Bake at 450 for 16 minutes and don't forget to grease cooking sheet with olive oil beforehand.

Here's my creation :)

Inor
10-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Looks good!

Just this year I have started experimenting with cooking pizzas on the grill. I highly recommend giving that a shot. The crust really picks up the charcoal flavor.

FlyingSQ
10-01-2015, 03:23 PM
That sounds delicious Man. Never thought to grill a pizza before. the difficulty level of grilling a pizza I imagine is high if using charcoal. Mad grill skills

Inor
10-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Not at all. It is insanely easy! Just get the grill good and hot then make sure you use a pizza stone. A thin layer of corn meal on the pizza stone ensures it will not stick. Put the pizza on and bake until done. I usually crank the grill up really hot, around 650 or 700 degrees, then grill for about 6-7 minutes. Give it a try this weekend.

Sasquatch
10-01-2015, 04:11 PM
There is a little Italian deli on my way home from work. I stop and buy their fresh dough, cheese and pepperoni then take it home and use the fresh veggies from my garden (tomato, jalapeños and onion) and bake it up. WAY better than pizza hut.

Good post FlySQ. Thanks!

hawgrider
10-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Inor can you please move this into the recipe section when you get time.

S.....P......
10-01-2015, 04:38 PM
I will add the grilling to the list. Mrs SP makes pizza and she uses a pizza stone. I'm guessing it will be similar to a pizza from a wood fired stone oven. They are great and a must try if you haven't already had it.

Arklatex
10-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Excellent! I gotta try grilling pizza too. Thanks.

Baglady
10-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Hold the jalepeno please!
That looks really good!! :hungry:

FlyingSQ
10-01-2015, 05:28 PM
There is a little Italian deli on my way home from work. I stop and buy their fresh dough, cheese and pepperoni then take it home and use the fresh veggies from my garden (tomato, jalapeños and onion) and bake it up. WAY better than pizza hut.

Good post FlySQ. Thanks!

Some jalapenos hell yeah!..Take the burn with a habanero minced up. The deli makes their own cheese? I need to find one around here that does

James m
10-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Looks like a great idea slash recipe. My mom would make bread and pizza dough, also poppy seed bread from dough.

You can make doughnuts with Pillsbury biscuit dough. Take a frying pan with vegetable oil, heat that up. Then make a hole in the middle of a round biscuit dough, if you don't it won't be done in the center. Get a brown paper lunch bag ready. As the doughnuts come out of the pan and are still wet with grease put them in the brown bag with regular granulated sugar and shake it up. Let it cool on a plate. Sugared doughnuts. I guess you could use dough from scratch but I never have. They are good warm but not as tastey cold.

Inor
10-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Inor can you please move this into the recipe section when you get time.

Done.

Slippy
10-01-2015, 09:20 PM
DAMN! That be some fine looking pizza pie!

MI.oldguy
10-01-2015, 09:46 PM
CRAP!.and I just went to get a Papa Murphy's.oh well at least they are the best of the bunch IMO,in this shithole anyway it was a cowboy,never go to Papa Murphy's and ask for a cowboy!:whip:.just say pizza for Mr,xxx.....Mia Mama (my mom)used to make such a good fogazza.learned from my grandmother.(mia Nonna)this was the REAL THING GENTS.not the store bought crap! cooked in bee kiln oven mio Nonno (grandpa) built,over fire!!in the 20's and 30's.

I still have the recipe from mom,I think I may make some for my wife when she gets back from the PNW next week.

MI.oldguy
10-01-2015, 10:09 PM
sorry,double posted,drunk,going to bed now.