PDA

View Full Version : KC Survival Expo and Gun Show Report

S.....P......
10-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I got the day off after all so we went to the expo this morning. It was 12 bucks for adults and 5 bucks for kids 6 to 12. They had what looked like a good line up of speakers for today and tomorrow on a lot of different topics. I had some of the offspring with me and we've got stuff to do today so we dident sit in on any. The show was smaller than I thought it would be in KC but I did find what I was looking for and at a decent price. They had the typical gun show vendors with a few added specialty "survival" booths. I would not have been upset if I drove an hour to get there. I wish I had time to sit in on some of the seminars.

I hope you find this to be at least a decent report.

Oh I almost forgot. Not 1 table dedicated to ammo and no beef jerky. I found these 2 things odd. There were tables with some ammo at normal gun show prices.

Sparkyprep
10-03-2015, 02:08 PM
When you say "specialty survival booth", can you be more specific? What kind of booths, exactly? And thank you.

Inor
10-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks Secret! Sounds like a good time was had by all!

S.....P......
10-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Duplicate post.

S.....P......
10-03-2015, 03:12 PM
When you say "specialty survival booth", can you be more specific? What kind of booths, exactly? And thank you.

One booth nothing but fire starting tools. One booth alternative lighting (uvpaqlite.com) Another booth with snares and trapping equipment.

Specialty may not be the best word for it, but these booths unlike most of the others are dedicated to tools and equipment for a specific task. I hope that makes it as clear as mud for you.

Slippy
10-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Did you find any good deals?

S.....P......
10-03-2015, 06:46 PM
No but some stuff that you don't find at the store.

Sparkyprep
10-03-2015, 06:58 PM
I only ask, because occasionally, there is a survival expo about two hours from me, and I was wondering if it was worth the trip, or it was just another gun show.

S.....P......
10-03-2015, 09:58 PM
We've been bussy. I will try to answer a little better. I've been to bigger and better gun shows in Houston. That said this one was ok. No gunsmith installing sights or other simpler parts. No stand alone gun part or ammo tables. Walking the show you could find these things like triger kits, flash hiders, muzzle brakes, rings and bases. There was ammo but it was not as big as I am use to. The ammo that was there was gun show priced like 500 round bricks of 22 lr at $50. lots of milsurp stuff. Bags, packs, plate carriers with plates, taticool to tatical to practical. Then there was more primitive camping/survival stuff than you see at a gun show. Lots of long term storage fom mylar to sealed containers for burying. Some "survival" food that I would not buy.

I did not do any resurch on the speakers because I knew we weren't going to be able to sit in for any. They did have them going all day on a wide variety of topics. Some of the speakers had tables selling thier books. you would have to go on the shows web site and decide if the speakers are worth checking out. I defiantly like the idea.

I will close with the boy played his first hocky scrimmage tonight. They did win. We just got home and he is still stoked.

Inor
10-03-2015, 10:19 PM
That sounds like FAR more than the "prepper-expo" here. Ours was more like a dozen booths. There was a HAM radio booth that was kind of cool, a couple of first aid booths that were basically advertising their Red Cross Advanced First Aid training, then the Libertarian party. There were a couple speakers. But I had not heard of them and they were charging extra admission to hear them. There was no gun show stuff. Nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch. Ours also had a bunch of green-tard hippie booths. Complete BS.

Yours at least sounds like it was something that one could get some info from.

hawgrider
10-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Gun shows have been nothing but a opportunity for scalper prices for the last 10 years. I quit going years ago. I won't pay to park then pay to get in and then bend over once inside. No deals to be found.

Slippy
10-04-2015, 08:21 AM

I will close with the boy played his first hocky scrimmage tonight. They did win. We just got home and he is still stoked.

Excellent! What age group? Position? I remember those early ice time Saturday mornings.

I'm proud to have raised a hockey player who managed to make it a couple of years in Tier 2 Eastern Juniors. But as they say in ALL Sports, Everyone eventually gets cut...or retires.

S.....P......
10-04-2015, 09:14 PM
He is in U8. He has been skating for a month now. After the scrimmage the coach said he is on the white shirt team. He is getting better with every practice and is one of the fastest skaters on the team. We still have some work to do on stopping.

S.....P......
10-04-2015, 09:16 PM
We went by Scheels yesterday. They still had a lot of 22 lr and the guy working that area said that there hasn't been any run on ammo yet.

Slippy
10-04-2015, 10:41 PM
He is in U8. He has been skating for a month now. After the scrimmage the coach said he is on the white shirt team. He is getting better with every practice and is one of the fastest skaters on the team. We still have some work to do on stopping.

Stopping is essential! Keep him off roller blades in the off season. Too much "swirly" stopping in roller vs "hockey" stopping. Goal Line to Blue Line back to Goal Line to Red Line and back to Goal Line for time. Works magic on stopping and starting! And wrist curls with a broom stick, rope and a 5 lb weight. Helps all shots. Guaranteed! Have fun S----P----

Deebo
10-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Got one coming up in NM