PDA

View Full Version : Bow drill

omegabrock
10-11-2015, 06:44 PM
****!! This thing is kicking my ass. Started trying it last night. Got a good bow and my cordage is tight, doesn't slip. Got my hearth board and spindle made out of what I thought was pine, but now I think it's actually cedar. (No, I don't know much about the trees here except we have black oak which I know is hard)

Ok, so, I get everything set up. Nice rounded side down into the hearth and pointed side in the socket (I'm just using old chunks of wood I have laying around), got a good notch, so I start bowing. A little smoke, I apply more pressure and bow a little faster. More smoke, it starts to get full. Around this time, my spindle starts to either bind up because my socket has worn down the point or the spindle completely flips out. The smoke stops and I'm left unsatisfied. Again. And again.

Sasquatch
10-11-2015, 07:44 PM
****!! This thing is kicking my ass. Started trying it last night. Got a good bow and my cordage is tight, doesn't slip. Got my hearth board and spindle made out of what I thought was pine, but now I think it's actually cedar. (No, I don't know much about the trees here except we have black oak which I know is hard)

Ok, so, I get everything set up. Nice rounded side down into the hearth and pointed side in the socket (I'm just using old chunks of wood I have laying around), got a good notch, so I start bowing. A little smoke, I apply more pressure and bow a little faster. More smoke, it starts to get full. Around this time, my spindle starts to either bind up because my socket has worn down the point or the spindle completely flips out. The smoke stops and I'm left unsatisfied. Again. And again.

It's a hard thing to do and I have only just learned. I haven't seen your technique so I can only offer blind suggestions. Make sure your bowing motion is as long as you can make it. The longer the better. I use Mule Fat for my spindle. Not sure if you have any near you but it works great. I also just learned the notch needs to be cut out just right or it'll be harder to light. The V in the notch should line up with the middle of the hole. It takes lots of practice and working on technique. I've only been able to start a few fires myself.

Here's my basic setup.

omegabrock
10-11-2015, 08:26 PM
My bow is about an arm and a half, the spindles are about 6 inches now...they all started around 9-10, but re-sharpening them made them a lot shorter lol

Infidel
10-11-2015, 08:50 PM
That hearth board is definitely cedar which I believe to be a bit harder than most pine. I'll bet it smells nice though.

-Infidel

omegabrock
10-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Yeah it smells awesome. So, would I be better trying to use oak? Maybe I'll try and do some research on other trees out here, but I'm not sure there are any others

Baglady
10-11-2015, 08:54 PM
My bow is about an arm and a half, the spindles are about 6 inches now...they all started around 9-10, but re-sharpening them made them a lot shorter lol
That is a piece of cedar your using for your board.
I've been wanting to try this too.
What is the best wood to use for the bow, spindles and board?

omegabrock
10-12-2015, 03:42 PM
From what I've researched, a medium density is best for spindle and hearth. For the bow, it doesn't really matter, as long as it's hard and doesn't give when you put pressure on it or it will loosen the bowstring.

Infidel
10-12-2015, 07:46 PM
I was under the impression that you wanted a hard wood for your bearing block and a soft wood like pine for the spindle and hearth board. I could be wrong on that though. Dave Canterbury has lots of videos on bow drill fires so I'd spend some time watching them or at least reviewing them. I've tried it a couple of times and never had any success although I never really tried it in earnest, I may have to give it another go. Definitely a handy skill to learn and something I've been meaning to do for some time. Canterbury usually uses Tulip Poplar which I believe is categorized as a soft wood but I'm not 100% sure on that. Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.

-Infidel

omegabrock
10-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah, you want the bearing block (socket) to be hard. You can apparently use rocks or bone too. There's a video on here about a bow drill *cheat*, but I haven't watched it yet

hawgrider
10-13-2015, 05:14 AM
I just read not long ago medium hardness for the block and soft for the spindle. Seems to be various opinions. Super super dry is key.

Arklatex
10-13-2015, 07:12 AM
I've tried and failed several times. I may try again soon. Keep us updated.

Infidel
10-13-2015, 06:56 PM
I just read not long ago medium hardness for the block and soft for the spindle. Seems to be various opinions. Super super dry is key.

Good luck getting super dry around here, especially in the summer when the humidity is nearing 100 percent.

-Infidel

hawgrider
10-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Good luck getting super dry around here, especially in the summer when the humidity is nearing 100 percent.

-Infidel
Agree some areas of the country might be tougher to pull off than others.

OSFG
10-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Simple rules ...hard wood spindle ...soft wood fire board.

No wet woods,,,pine etc.

Arklatex
10-13-2015, 08:44 PM
From what I've researched, a medium density is best for spindle and hearth. For the bow, it doesn't really matter, as long as it's hard and doesn't give when you put pressure on it or it will loosen the bowstring.
There a "that's what she said" or a "yo momma" joke in there somewhere...

OSFG
10-13-2015, 08:46 PM
There a "that's what she said" or a "yo momma" joke in there somewhere...

Now thats funny..I don`t care who you are.....

Inor
10-13-2015, 09:40 PM
The only time I was able to get it to work, I used cherry for the hearth board. I also had a very thin piece of birch bark that I "fuzzed" the end of with a knife. I kept that right next to the spindle and that is actually what caught fire. For the socket on the top, I just used a small square glass ashtray. I held it at an angle so the spindle was riding in the corner. It did not bind up the spindle and was enough to keep my hand insulated.

omegabrock
10-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I really believe the spindle should be harder than soft. It seems like the biggest issue I would have was due to a soft spindle that would get eaten up by the socket and then it would start to bind. I'll keep an update whenever I try again. Need to get a little more firewood and I've been busy getting ready for a bodybuilding show lol

Deebo
10-17-2015, 10:11 PM
No clue, but we be try it