PDA

View Full Version : Amazing difference

Baglady
10-12-2015, 12:25 PM
at only 2 weeks old.1751

Compared to 3 days..1752

Baglady
10-12-2015, 12:28 PM
And did you know, the ones with the tail feathers forming are hens, without are roosters. Always something to learn.

hawgrider
10-12-2015, 12:41 PM
And did you know, the ones with the tail feathers forming are hens, without are roosters. Always something to learn.Where did ya here that young lady?

Don't take that to the bank. It may only apply to some breeds.

Baglady
10-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Where did ya here that young lady?

Don't take that to the bank. It may only apply to some breeds.One of the old timers/neighbors here told us that.

hawgrider
10-18-2015, 09:42 AM
One of the old timers/neighbors here told us that.I hadn't heard or read that until you mentioned it.

Baglady
10-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I hadn't heard or read that until you mentioned it.It may be certain breeds like you said, IDK. I've never raised them before. Lil buggers are getting some attitude now...

hawgrider
10-18-2015, 10:04 AM
It may be certain breeds like you said, IDK. I've never raised them before. Lil buggers are getting some attitude now...They grow at amazing speed. We are going to do a new batch of chicks in the spring. We need some colors in the egg basket. Im getting bored with the Isa's

Baglady
10-18-2015, 10:12 AM
They grow at amazing speed. We are going to do a new batch of chicks in the spring. We need some colors in the egg basket. Im getting bored with the Isa's We chose our 2 breeds by doing some research through the Murray McMurray catalog. Very informative. We needed a light breed and a heavy breed. That way we'll have eggs through the year, and the heavy breed is also good for meat.
What is the "Isa's"?

hawgrider
10-18-2015, 01:56 PM
We chose our 2 breeds by doing some research through the Murray McMurray catalog. Very informative. We needed a light breed and a heavy breed. That way we'll have eggs through the year, and the heavy breed is also good for meat.
What is the "Isa's"?
ISA browns are a duel purpose hybrid breed. Eggs or meat. Duel purpose are tough and only worthy of the stew pot or pressure canner. They lay well over 300 eggs a year per bird.

Baglady
10-21-2015, 12:02 PM
ISA browns are a duel purpose hybrid breed. Eggs or meat. Duel purpose are tough and only worthy of the stew pot or pressure canner. They lay well over 300 eggs a year per bird.Ok, got it. BTW, our neighbor was right about the tail feathers. The 4 roosters have a very small "tail" at this point, while the hens all have significantly longer tail feathers. Both breeds.1764This top picture is a rooster. The second picture is a hen. 1765

hawgrider
10-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Ok, got it. BTW, our neighbor was right about the tail feathers. The 4 roosters have a very small "tail" at this point, while the hens all have significantly longer tail feathers. Both breeds.1764This top picture is a rooster. The second picture is a hen. 1765

Leghorn and whats the other breed.

Baglady
10-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Leghorn and whats the other breed.
Buff Orpington.

hawgrider
10-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Buff Orpington.My daughter has buffs. Good layers but they do tend to go broody quite a bit. Which could be good if your keeping a rooster.

Baglady
10-24-2015, 05:09 PM
My daughter has buffs. Good layers but they do tend to go broody quite a bit. Which could be good if your keeping a rooster.We have 2 Buff and 2 Leghorn roosters to appease the ladies...;)