PDA

View Full Version : How to Make a Snare

Sparkyprep
11-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Back to some prepper-related subjects.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k6j_b9Q16BY

A helpful video on how to construct home-made animal snares. I keep a few of these in my bag. These are extremely productive, and in a survival situation, it is always best when you can gather calories without expending them. Let your tools hunt for you.

Baglady
11-02-2015, 09:46 AM
I'd like to learn how to set snares. I keep meaning to try to make a fire by the "bow" method too...

Sparkyprep
11-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Setting snares is reliant on the ability to recognize natural game trails. Animals, like most people, tend to use the same paths over and over again in their range to move about. Snares do not rely on bait. Find the paths, and set them up to catch what you are after on these paths. 1/16" stainless steel cable is extremely thin, but has a breaking strength of nearly 500 lbs. you don't have to limit yourself to small game. You can catch a hog by the foot, and shoot him at your leisure when you check your snares.

shootbrownelk
11-03-2015, 04:29 AM
I used to make and set snares while in the boy scouts. We always caught plenty of rabbits and an occasional raccoon. There were no restrictions on them that I was aware of back in the 50's. Some fella out here had some snares set on public ground that was used by the public to exercise their dogs. He caught 2 St.Bernards and the dog owners couldn't free them in time. Both perished while the owners struggled to free them. Big Hoopla about setting traps of any kind on State land. G&F said everything done by the trapper was legal and that dog owners should exercise caution when out with their dogs, and carry a cable cutter.

Infidel
11-03-2015, 05:05 PM
I used to make and set snares while in the boy scouts. We always caught plenty of rabbits and an occasional raccoon. There were no restrictions on them that I was aware of back in the 50's. Some fella out here had some snares set on public ground that was used by the public to exercise their dogs. He caught 2 St.Bernards and the dog owners couldn't free them in time. Both perished while the owners struggled to free them. Big Hoopla about setting traps of any kind on State land. G&F said everything done by the trapper was legal and that dog owners should exercise caution when out with their dogs, and carry a cable cutter.

This kind of thing is exactly how snares got banned in NY (and other states). Not saying the trapper did anything wrong but once word gets out people start freaking out about it and in a liberal state like NY the first reaction is to ban. I can't wait to get out of here.

-Infidel

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 05:20 PM
I still have my Boy Scout manual. It has a wealth of info in it. There is a section on snares in it.

Arklatex
11-03-2015, 05:25 PM
I didn't see the vid yet but I have a tip. Always remember that critters have an excellent nose. When handling traps and snares NEVER touch them with your hands! If you have to rub them in dirt and the local vegetation to mask your scent. This simple step will really increase your efficiency.

BucketBack
11-03-2015, 05:26 PM
I got gramps boy scout manual, along with a webelos handbook.

I was in the cub scouts for a couple weeks. With the mandatory weekend gigs I couldn't attend.
I was bushcrafting my current homestead.
Dad,who was a SeeBee, said he'd teach me what I needed to know.

That being said, a large 1/0 barbed stainless treble or so works well. tie the hook off with1 /16" cable 4 'off the ground on a stout branch

Wiley will seek it out and get hooked. Noise will be heard. All his buddies will eat their fill while you empty out a magazine

BucketBack
11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Maybe that's why I don't see many Canis latrans

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 05:39 PM
I got gramps boy scout manual, along with a webelos handbook.

I was in the cub scouts for a couple weeks. With the mandatory weekend gigs I couldn't attend.
I was bushcrafting my current homestead.
Dad,who was a SeeBee, said he'd teach me what I needed to know.

That being said, a large 1/0 barbed stainless treble or so works well. tie the hook off with1 /16" cable 4 'off the ground on a stout branch

Wiley will seek it out and get hooked. Noise will be heard. All his buddies will eat their fill while you empty out a magazine
Gramps scout book would be pretty cool. Any big differences that you could see between his and the 60's version?
I also have my Webelos manual.

Sparkyprep
11-03-2015, 05:43 PM
I still have all my old scout books from the 80's. I've never thought about them much. Might have to dust them off.....

BucketBack
11-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Guns were cheap and they mailed them to your home.

They showed you how to walk granny across the road

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 07:19 PM
I still have all my old scout books from the 80's. I've never thought about them much. Might have to dust them off.....
You should find-
First aid
Knots
Fire building
Snares
Edible plants
References to morals, country and God.
And much more.

The most info is in the Scout field book which I have also. Just checked mine they were printed in 1970.

Sparkyprep
11-03-2015, 08:01 PM
You should find-
First aid
Knots
Fire building
Snares
Edible plants
References to morals, country and God.
And much more.

The most info is in the Scout field book which I have also. Just checked mine they were printed in 1970.

I remember a lot from Scouts. I just think that I should go back, and see if there is good info that I have forgotten.

shootbrownelk
11-04-2015, 04:34 AM
I remember a lot from Scouts. I just think that I should go back, and see if there is good info that I have forgotten.
There is a wealth of usable info in the old scouts manual. I made Eagle scout.

shootbrownelk
11-04-2015, 04:37 AM
This kind of thing is exactly how snares got banned in NY (and other states). Not saying the trapper did anything wrong but once word gets out people start freaking out about it and in a liberal state like NY the first reaction is to ban. I can't wait to get out of here.

-Infidel

You have to keep an eye on your dogs. There are coyote traps out here that shoot poison into the coyote's mouth. They put bait on them...dogs would find them interesting.

Infidel
11-08-2015, 08:03 AM
You have to keep an eye on your dogs. There are coyote traps out here that shoot poison into the coyote's mouth. They put bait on them...dogs would find them interesting.

I couldn't agree more. There's a leash law here but a lot of people ignore it and then get upset when something happens to their dog.

The only traps allowed in NY are body grip traps (at least I think that's what they're called). Too many domestic animals getting caught in leg hold traps and snares. People started calling them inhumane. Probably why so few people trap in NY, the laws are too restrictive.

Inor
11-08-2015, 09:34 AM
There is a wealth of usable info in the old scouts manual. I made Eagle scout.

If you have any of the old merit badge books, those were really good too. I have a few, but wish I had all of them that I originally had. I also made Eagle scout.

Edit: Here is the 1911 edition of the Boy Scout Manual from Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29558/29558-h/29558-h.htm

Infidel
11-08-2015, 12:26 PM
If you have any of the old merit badge books, those were really good too. I have a few, but wish I had all of them that I originally had. I also made Eagle scout.

Edit: Here is the 1911 edition of the Boy Scout Manual from Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29558/29558-h/29558-h.htm

My one regret in life was not finishing up all the requirements for my Eagle badge. I made is to Life and had all the requirements done except the service project, alas I turned 16 and got my driver's license and was too interested in chasing girls and hanging out with my friends. Within a year or so my father became very concerned about my future.

Inor
11-08-2015, 01:13 PM
My one regret in life was not finishing up all the requirements for my Eagle badge. I made is to Life and had all the requirements done except the service project, alas I turned 16 and got my driver's license and was too interested in chasing girls and hanging out with my friends. Within a year or so my father became very concerned about my future.

I finished my Eagle when I was 14. I never got a single badge after that and was out of Scouting at about 16. My dad was too, concerned about my future after that.

shootbrownelk
11-09-2015, 03:53 AM
I finished my Eagle when I was 14. I never got a single badge after that and was out of Scouting at about 16. My dad was too, concerned about my future after that.
I too was a concern to my parents after turning 16 and losing all interest in scouting. I'd like to turn back the clock. Pardon the pun, but the girls weren't all they were cracked-up to be.

Sparkyprep
11-10-2015, 06:59 PM
I started chasing a girl when I turned 16. Three years later, I married her.