PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Dead Bodies When the SHTF

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 05:47 AM
It Is Something We Have To Think About Once the SHTF

It may be something we have to deal with during any crisis, and let us all hope it is not someone we know, or is a family member. That being said, there are precautions that we will have to take to protect ourselves against the spread of diseases caused by dead bodies.

You not only have to deal with the physical effects, but with the psychological effects on you and others, as well.

First, How Did They Die

Scavengers, insects, and diseases are a major concern, when there are dead bodies present, not to mention the actual cause of death. Was it murder, or accident or are there biological, or chemical contaminates to worry about?

In other words, if you approach the scene of death are you in danger from the very things that killed the person. Will you contact a disease or encounter a four legged predator lurking in the area.

Depending on the crisis it may be evident how they died. If there were a chemical or nuclear attack on your city or town, then cause of death may be obvious in many cases. An earthquake, flood, or wildfire will cause many fatalities, and again the cause may be readily apparent. Then again, it may not be, so you do have to consider other possibilities to make sure you do not succumb to the same fate.

If the person was killed by someone else, and not due to the crisis, is that person there, did they bobby trap the scene. Are you next? Is the site itself the cause? Are there chemicals leaking, which may have been caused by the calamity, are there poisonous gases, or some biological contaminates nearby. These questions should be running through your mind if you come upon a dead body during a crisis.

Handling and Disposal

In years past, before embalming was a common practice,
http://prepforshtf.com/dealing-with-dead-bodies-when-the-shtf/#.VjienCs71ME

BucketBack
11-03-2015, 08:51 AM
No problem moving and burying the dead.
I worked in a Preparation Room, the Mortician played VooDoo music. 16 & Schoenherr for the OP

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 09:00 AM
No problem moving and burying the dead.
I worked in a Preparation Room, the Mortician played VooDoo music. 16 & Schoenherr for the OP
I figure a big hole and some diesel fuel.

Might not be a bad idea to have some Lyme on hand?

Arklatex
11-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Since I'm out in the woods I hope I don't have to deal with this too much if it hits the fan. I consider myself lucky that I know how to operate heavy equipment like backhoes and the like. The neighbors down the way have a dozer and a track hoe, that will be the method of choice for me.

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Since I'm out in the woods I hope I don't have to deal with this too much if it hits the fan. I consider myself lucky that I know how to operate heavy equipment like backhoes and the like. The neighbors down the way have a dozer and a track hoe, that will be the method of choice for me.That certainly would make the mass grave digging easy!

Arklatex
11-03-2015, 09:10 AM
That certainly would make the mass grave digging easy!
True, but it will also ease the chore of burying a single friend or lived one. Rather than digging a grave by hand. Even cemeteries use a backhoe.

BucketBack
11-03-2015, 11:19 AM
I figure a big hole and some diesel fuel.

Might not be a bad idea to have some Lyme on hand?
The deer have Lyme, LYE you put in the outhouse or under the crapper leak

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 12:06 PM
The deer have Lyme, LYE you put in the outhouse or under the crapper leak Yeah yur wright I mint Lie. :biglaugh:

Dwight55
11-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I have enough Native American in me that me and mine can qualify for a funeral pyre.

Some folks have a problem with it, . . . I don't, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
11-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I have enough Native American in me that me and mine can qualify for a funeral pyre.

Some folks have a problem with it, . . . I don't, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

My Viking ancestors used pyres. Mrs Inor's people, being Injuns, used them. Flame on baby!

Arklatex
11-03-2015, 06:07 PM
My Viking ancestors used pyres. Mrs Inor's people, being Injuns, used them. Flame on baby!
Kinda surprised Inor. I took you for the type that would build a casket for your wife as well as yourself.

That's my plan.

hawgrider
11-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Kinda surprised Inor. I took you for the type that would build a casket for your wife as well as yourself.

That's my plan.
Bad ass casket out of black walnut! With dry bar for the ride....

Dwight55
11-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Y'know, . . . Inor, . . . just for those who don't know, . . . one of us ought to elaborate.

Pyre, . . . outdoor cremation service, . . . kinda like a bed, . . . 3 - 4 feet off the ground, . . . everybody gathers around, . . . says whatever goodbyes they think they need to mention, . . . then somebody lights the wood under the bed, . . . in a couple hours, . . . all over, . . . all gone, . . . all done.

Ashes to ashes, . . . dust to dust, . . . Matthew 24:31 (KJV) 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

The ashes may get scattered, . . . but the God who knows the number of hairs on all of our heads at any minute's notice, . . . also knows where them there ashes are.

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
11-03-2015, 10:33 PM

That's my plan.

Nope. I already have the rocks picked out where Mrs Inor is to spread a subset of my ashes. We call it "the sittin' rocks". If it is important to her that I build a casket to be burned in, I will do so, time permitting. But otherwise, my body here is meaningless after I pass.

shootbrownelk
11-04-2015, 04:40 AM
Soylent Green.

Dwight55
11-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Soylent Green.

^^^^^^ Watch this guy ^^^^^^^^ he ain't right,............probably a gubmint contractor............:hungry:

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
11-04-2015, 08:09 AM
This reference to Soylent green is racist!

http://www.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/2012/November/Film/Holiday%20Gift%20Guide%202012/Soylent_Green_Crackers.jpg

So what do they call the African American Soylent green goodies?

RWalls
11-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Certainly an interesting topic. Dragging them off would be a start. Throwing the bodies into the opposing town's water supply.

hawgrider
11-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Certainly an interesting topic. Dragging them off would be a start. Throwing the bodies into the opposing town's water supply.

"Always drink upstream from the herd"

James m
11-04-2015, 01:23 PM
I want to be buried at sea.